PDA

View Full Version : Another hook tool use, the European way this time

Leo Van Der Loo
06-09-2010, 1:36 AM
Didn't want to hi-jack Glenn's post, but thought it would be good to have another look at the use of tools the way we don't see very often.
This one goes a little faster and I think you do need to rerun it a few times to see what all he does and the tools other than the hooktool he does use when making these boxes, have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhR9ALVd0Js

alex carey
06-09-2010, 3:35 AM
cool stuff.

Moshe Eshel
06-09-2010, 5:54 AM
I always liked watching professional production turners - it is so different than "hobby" turning, and there is a lot to learn from watching and listening to them... in this case the friction fitting was like a light bulb going on in my head...
I also appreciate now the fact that the dolls are turned from linden which makes matching the parts effortless (no grain, no pain :-) + the coloring of the dolls also helps)
Maybe I can get them to send me a few small logs so I can make my own set :-)

Wally Dickerman
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
The hook tool hollowing was interesting. In fact, I've used one myself. But the skew was very interesting. Just a round bar, flattened out at the end. Very heavy, because the bar seems to nearly an inch in dia. The tool was obviously very sharp, and he is a real expert at using it. The final smoothing cuts required no sanding. He no doubt does a lot of honing as he works. The tool probably seldom if ever sees a grinder.

Wally

Frank Van Atta
06-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Very interesting video, Leo. Thanks for posting it.

George Morris
06-09-2010, 3:08 PM
Leo thanks for posting! He sure does have great tool control! He makes that hook tool sing! G

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2010, 6:01 PM
Thanks for posting Leo. Quite interesting.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2010, 6:11 PM
Very cool Leo, thanks for sharing. But the guy was so slow, it was a little boring to watch. :rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2010, 6:13 PM
Leo - always a treat to see someone who really knows their way around a lathe! Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Chris Haas
06-09-2010, 7:52 PM
i must have missed it, when did he have all the catches with his skew like i do.

Now thats a professional turner.

You can tell the guys that do it for a living rather than for hobby by the speed that they work at. very impressive