PDA

View Full Version : Sucked in!

Joe Shinall
06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Got my wife a mini lathe for Christmas so she could start turning and get a hobby, instead of shopping :rolleyes:. The Exclisor from Rockler. Well I finally got around to mounting it on an old dresser in the garage. Took me so long because I couldn't decide what chuck to get and ended up finding a brand new Barracuda on CL for $75, still in wrapping. So we knew as soon as we started that we would get hooked. Been turning pine all week just experimenting before we work on my nice blanks her and I bought.

So now that I am hooked, what is the best way to sharpen a bowl gouge? We bought Bill Grumbine's Turning Bowls Made Easy DVD and he shows grinding them. Is it that simple? I do not have a slow speed grinder. It is your basic 3450 RPM grinder. Don't want to spend a lot of money, so what is the best way for the bowl gouges?

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Joe,

Most people use a sharpening system like the Wolverine by Oneway......there are some out there guys made for themselves.

In the end, using a jig like the Wolverine or similar is the easiest way to get a certain expertise in sharpening.

Trying to learn to sharpen and turn simultaneously would be the pits and........turning with dull tools ain't much better!

John Hart
06-09-2010, 6:13 AM
Yeah..what Ken said...'course, I personally don't use a sharpening system and I use a regular high speed grinder...one grey wheel..one white. But that's just me. (I'm a cheapskate):)

Sharpening is something that you do constantly...it is not something you do once in a while, so it's a good idea to have your grinder in close proximity to your lathe, so you can quickly put a new edge on while turning. It'll become second nature as you progress.

As far as bowl gouges...or any other tool, I set the angle on my grinder rest and just roll the gouge on the wheel. For a skew, I set the angle and run it across. I don't spend more than a few seconds sharpening...then back to the piece I go.

John Keeton
06-09-2010, 6:29 AM
Joe, sorry to tell you that the lathe will only increase the "shopping!!" Problem now is that all the shopping will be for more vortex related toys.

As long as you are using HSS tools, the high speed grinder will work fine. I use the Wolverine system on recommendation from this fine group of folks, and it really is a good way to get consistency in your sharpening. However, there are a bunch of folks that do without a jig.

Welcome to the vortex!!

Donny Lawson
06-09-2010, 6:53 AM
Wloverine is the way to go because sharp tools make turning alot more fun.When shavings fly across your sholder and your project looks and feels smooth you know your tool is doing something right.I know it's an investment but it will be worth it in the long run.
Donny

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2010, 8:05 AM
Ditto what Ken said. I use the wolverine system and slow speed grinder. It makes sharpening a whole lot easier. I am now trying learning freehand.

Tim Rinehart
06-09-2010, 8:14 AM
Ok, here's the thing...you're heading down that vortex, we know it, maybe you do know it, perhaps not. I was in same mind frame a little over a year ago and didn't want big investment outside of lathe...haha :rolleyes::D;).

I found this site to make my own bowl gouge and spindle gouge jigs out of plywood, dowl rod and a few wing bolts. http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharp.shtml It will do the trick until you are ready to buy a wolverine system.

This worked fine for me for better than a year and I just recently bought a Wolverine system...and wish I had back then. It really is nice and flexible if experimenting on different grinds, something inevitable once you start acquiring a couple different gouges for different applications.

Keep your eye out for deals on low speed grinders, and be sure your grinding wheel is dressed to keep from beating up your tools too badly and making ugly edges that don't cut well.

Dull or poorly sharpened tools will make turning frustrating and dusty...sharp tools make long chips and are fun.

Cathy Schaewe
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Got my wife a mini lathe for Christmas so she could start turning and get a hobby, instead of shopping :rolleyes:. ...

Well I finally got around to mounting it on an old dresser in the garage. Took me so long because I couldn't decide what chuck to get ....
So we knew as soon as we started that we would get hooked. Been turning pine all week just experimenting before we work on my nice blanks her and I bought.

So now that I am hooked ....

ok, must not be any other women reading this thread yet, because this is what jumped right out at me. Isn't that just like a man?! :rolleyes:
Gets his wife a Christmas present so he can use it! LOL!!!!! :D:D

Just teasing - welcome to the vortex ... it's a long way down, and a very quick ride!!
ps - take your wife with you ;)

Gary Conklin
06-09-2010, 12:41 PM
"Don't want to spend a lot of money"

Man did you ever pick the wrong hobby!!:eek:

Tony De Masi
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Don't want to spend a lot of money,

Sorry Joe, this may be something you wish for, but it's a falsehood.

+1 on the Wolverine.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Joe - congrats on both you and your wife getting into turning! You will love it!

I started off with a 6" high speed grinder - just changed the wheels. Eventually moved up to using the Wolverine system and the Woodcraft slow speed grinder - which I changed the wheels on also. Use what you have on hand and when the time comes to upgrade - you'll know it!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings!

Michelle Rich
06-09-2010, 1:00 PM
I saw the same thing Cathy!!!! if you want a cheap hobby , this is the wrong one to pick...get a slow speed grinder and any of the jigs the folks before me recommended..I use a tormek because I hate buying new tools constantly, as a grinder eats tools..(personal choice) Good luck, and open your wallet, now you & your wife will both go shopping!

Robert McGowen
06-09-2010, 1:11 PM
Got my wife a mini lathe for Christmas so she could start turning and get a hobby, instead of shopping :rolleyes:.

Shouldn't Mrs. Shinall be asking these questions? :eek::D:eek::D

Allen Neighbors
06-09-2010, 1:37 PM
I've got a highspeed grinder, with the Wolverine and Varigrind. 120 grit wheel and 80 grit wheel. Works like a charm. Doesn't take but a sec or two to renew the edge.

Welcome to the Creek!! Hope you have a long and happy romance with Wood Turning. One suggestion. Get another lathe. One just isn't enough for two turners. :D

Mike Peace
06-09-2010, 2:33 PM
If you have a 3450 speed grinder that will do as long as you are using good wheels and not the gray wheels we use for grinding lawn mower blades. I believe a slow speed 1725 grinder allows you more control. If you have to buy new wheels for a grinder you already have, I would look for an 8" slow speed that comes with the white wheels. Woodcraft had one at a good value but not sure if they are still selling them as I can't find it on their web site. You could usually get on sale for about $90. Like others recommend, get the wolverine jig and veragrind jig.

John Hart
06-09-2010, 2:43 PM
.....Hope you have a long and happy romance with Wood Turning. One suggestion. Get another lathe. One just isn't enough for two turners. :D

Hmmmm....One Lathe.....Two Turners......Happy Romance.....Hmmmm

Ya know Allen...something about that just doesn't compute does it?

Joe....Allen is right. Divorce is iminent. Everyone else is right...Turning ain't cheap..and it don't stop people from shoppin'.

Might as well just bite the bullet now...get matching lathes...put the grinder in between...(Don't fight over the grinder either!!! :))

Tim Rinehart
06-09-2010, 2:56 PM
I found this symposium on the AAW site, you can find details eventually at this link. http://www.gawoodturner.org/symposium.shtml

The symposiums are a great way to learn some techniques from great turners and teachers, and to see and talk to alot of turners...but best of all...it's a great place to get awesome deals on everything from lathes, to tools, to wood.

I suspect there are a number of clubs near Savannah, just go into AAW and check it out. I found one for Savannah called Low Country Turners, but some other chapters may be closer. This is their president, steve@coastalwooddesign.com you should get in touch and visit a couple meetings. It will help having some direct involvement with others and seeing demos,etc.

But of course...nothing beats the great amount of info from the Creek!

Cathy Schaewe
06-09-2010, 3:57 PM
I don't want Joe to think I exist only to give him a hard time - ;)

Woodcraft is selling a slow-speed grinder again- it was on the back cover of the catalog I just got, I believe, and I think it was $109. But I got my delta 8" slow-speed for $84, I think, in March on flea-bay, and that included shipping. I just had to be a little patient. (Not easy when you want to turn!)

Having said that, as a new turner who had no familiarity with sharpening tools, I think a jig (I have the Wolverine, and I got the vari-grind II jig, but I've used the original vari-grind as well) is more crucial. You can get a sharp tool on a high speed grinder, you just need to have a light touch. The jig will give you the technique you need when you don't know HOW to get a sharp tool. That's just my 2 cents, FWIW. Others will doubtless have different opinions.

Wayne Spence
06-09-2010, 4:06 PM
Make sure you take the undies out of the dresser.

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2010, 4:35 PM
Joe,

Congrats on finding a hobby both you and your wife are intersted in pursuing. You'll probably spend more on this hobby than most turners because you will have to have two of everything! Either that or you will have to have alternate turning times.

Look at this this way, it's cheaper than shoes, and standing around in the tool department is infinitely more entertaining that waiting for the umpteenth pair of shoes to be brought from the stock room. :D

Joe Shinall
06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow, didn't think I would have that many replies. Cathy, yes, I did get it for her and had alterior motives ;)

I should have been more specific when I said don't want to spend a lot. I dont want to spend 500-700 bucks on a tormek or something close. I dont mind spending a few hundred bucks to get sharp tools. When I started in woodworking in general I realized how much money I actually made because it was all flying out the window.:rolleyes:

Looks like the Wolverine jig is the winner and I'm looking for a slow speed grinder now so we will see. I would buy a second lathe but don't have room in the shop. Had to get rid of her bicycle and a few other things to get this one in there. And I aint losing the Uni or any other equipment. But we are building a bigger house, which means a bigger shop :D

Tools are HSS, I touched up the small bowl gouge earlier a little bit and it did fine but I do want a better system.

Joe Shinall
06-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Look at this this way, it's cheaper than shoes, and standing around in the tool department is infinitely more entertaining that waiting for the umpteenth pair of shoes to be brought from the stock room. :D

Could not agree with you more Belinda. And John, meant to respond to yours too. Like Belinda said, I dont mind the shopping and the expense as long as it's towards a hobby and not just something sitting in the closet ;)