PDA

View Full Version : Something pretty;

Kenneth George
11-26-2004, 2:55 PM
I still have not had a change to work with my threading jig yet! All the family is in town right now including my little 8 year old niece who is the only girl child of all the children. Mine are grown and the wife believes that this one is my favorite and she may be right. In any case last night she asked me if I would please make her something pretty before she leaves and who am I to say no?

So I thought I would share my attempt to make an 8 year old little girl happy.

This is Granadillo with lemon wood accents.

This is the exterior front view with finial

http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/latestturning/11-26-04/DSCF2636.jpg

This is the box open showing the surprise internal finial

http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/latestturning/11-26-04/DSCF2637.jpg

I even inlayed a piece of lemon wood in the bottom.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/images/latestturning/11-26-04/DSCF2638.jpg

As always, comments and suggestions most welcome.

Thanks for having a look.

Karl Laustrup
11-26-2004, 3:42 PM
WOW! WOW! WOW!
That is beautiful. And you did that in one day? Now I know I have to get a lathe and then learn how to use it. Your niece is one lucky little girl. It will hopefully become a treasured heirloom.
Keep up the good work Ken.

Dick Parr
11-26-2004, 4:03 PM
Very very nice Ken, I'll bet you made one little girl very happy. Beautiful work.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-26-2004, 8:30 PM
Yeh - I know that "FITS THE BILL" - certainly "PRETTY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Robert Grady
11-26-2004, 8:38 PM
very very nice Ken

Lou Morrissette
11-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Beautiful work, Ken! Now I know I gotta try that spinny stuff.

John Miliunas
11-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Very striking, Ken! I always admire your fine work! Anytime I tried to get down to anything that small, I always end up breaking something on it. :( And your finish is always gorgeous and without flaw. You got this whole turning thing down! :) BTW, how are you chucking up those little pieces? Finally, that inside finial is just too cool! :) Great job and I'll bet you made one little girl a very happy little girl! :cool:

Jim Becker
11-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Very interesting and well executed piece, Kenneth. I really like how you continued the finial inside the lid...it's an unusual surprise waiting to greet anyone opening the box!

Kenneth George
11-27-2004, 9:25 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. Yes she was very excited and her mother told me how much she loves the other box I gave her last year. It holds her special necklace and she already has plans for how to use this one.

John, I was using pin jaws on one of the Nova chucks but that was a pain and the chuck kept me from getting as close to the work as I wanted too. I have since bought the Beall Collet chuck system that I use for almost all my finials. With this system I have almost no waste at all. On the piece above the finials came from the same piece of lemon wood and I only had the 3/16<SUP>th</SUP> left that was in the chuck and I used it as an inlay for the bottom.

I really like working with the exotic and dense woods but who can afford to make a bowl out of Pink Ivory for example? Or could even find a piece large enough if one could afford it. Takes a lot of patience though as this piece has about 4 hours into it. Now if I just did not have to use my reading glasses while doing it!

John M. Cioffi
11-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Beautiful work, as usual Ken.
I have your website bookmarked, as I am viewing your tutorals & trying to figure out how to download them in order to use them on a portable DVD player,in the shop.This way,I can view & build.
Thanks for sharing.
John

Ted Shrader
11-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Kenneth -

That will definitely pass for pretty! And then some. Great work! I am sure she is very pleased and will treasure that for the rest of her life.

Regards,
Ted

Glenn Hodges
11-27-2004, 11:46 AM
If you stay away from here for more than a day you really miss something, and that is really something Ken, thanks for sharring it with us. You have made something she will treasure for a lifetime.