PDA

View Full Version : rikon 18" bandsaw info??

eugene thomas
06-08-2010, 9:38 PM
I just sold my 16 year old 14" grizzly bandsaw today and need to buy new one. was going back and forth between buying the rikon 10-345 and the grizzly G0413x2b.. the grizzly is great price and like the motor brake but i keep leaning towards the rikon. I was wondering how often goes on sale or will i have to just make the plunge and pay full price.

Harry Robinette
06-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Just got my 18" Rikon and it's great,:) woodcraft should be having there 10% off sell soon I think.hope this helps.:)

Joe Wiliams
06-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Late last year the 14" was on sale then shortly after that was over the 18" went on sale. The 14" is currently on sale....

Soooo..... maybe the 18" will go on sale again:p

Van Huskey
06-09-2010, 7:30 AM
Late last year the 14" was on sale then shortly after that was over the 18" went on sale. The 14" is currently on sale....

Soooo..... maybe the 18" will go on sale again:p

It MAY be the trend. The 14" was 699 then the 18" went on sale for 999 about 2-3 months later since the 14" is back on sale my guess is the 18" will go on sale as well in the next few months. It is a good deal at 999, though I would really want a foot brake.

Andrew Joiner
06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I think the Grizzly G0513X2B is what you meant?

Don't be turned off by your 16 year old grizzly bandsaw experience. Grizzly has improved quality control and customer service a lot in 16 years.

Here's my experience.
I had a 1950 vintage 14" Delta with riser I bought used in 1978. It did every thing I needed a bandsaw to do. I even sawed a few logs into boards. I sold the Delta and got out of woodworking for a while.
In 2005 I started lusting after a big bandsaw and ran across the FineWoodworking magazine review that gave the 18" Rikon a best value. I got it in the shop and it had several issues. Rikon was nice about shipping me free parts, but I finally got tired of rebuilding a "new" saw and took it back to Woodcraft. I may have gotten a lemon or I'm to much of a perfectionist as I see lot's of people are happy with 18" Rikons.

In 2009 I got a new Grizzly 21". It's a great saw right out of the crate. I did have to replace the motor after 1 hour of use, but the Grizzly warranty and service was good. Many people on this forum have 17" and 19" Grizzly bandsaws and love them.

I would only buy Rikon again if it's a lighter weight machine and that can be returned easily to a local dealer.

I would buy from Grizzly again. Even with shipping and the sight unseen factor, I got more value and service from Grizzly.

eugene thomas
06-09-2010, 7:51 PM
i had no regreat on my 14" grizzly bandsaw. just want bigger saw. i think grizzly is great company. while ago my 16 year old table saw needed parts and was able to order them and 3 days later saw up and running. some of my tools came from companys nolonger in business so will not be that easy.

Salem Ganzhorn
06-09-2010, 8:11 PM
In the Raleigh NC Woodcraft store the Rikon 18" is still 1k. So you may still be able to find a deal.

But I think I would almost prefer the 14" Rikon. They look quite similar in build but the 14" is 300$ cheaper (IF you can get the 18" for 1k) and has more resaw capacity.

Good luck!
Salem