PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly G0438RL table saw

Greg Book
06-08-2010, 9:31 PM
I have a two part question about the Grizzly G0438RL table saw. First, has anyone had experience with this saw? Second, I ordered the saw today, but its on back order until July 15. Since its a new model, I'm wondering if Grizzly has shipped any yet, or they're just out of stock temporarily. How accurate are Grizzly's estimates for back order times? Or do they give discounts for similar items when the desired item is out of stock? It's unfortunate they only tell you its back-ordered after you place the order.

I recently bought a Craftsman 21833, which turned out to be a large pile of nicely shaped steel. It had a serious manufacturing defect where the alignment would change as the blade height was changed. No fix available, so I returned it to Sears for a refund to get the Grizzly instead. I saw someone in a different post ended up waiting 3 months for a different model back-ordered table saw from Grizzly. I'd prefer to get the table saw soon, since I sold my old Delta to get the Craftsman, and now I have no table saw for most of the summer :(

Milind Patil
06-09-2010, 2:09 AM
This saw has steel wings (not cast iron). That will be issue (more vibration). I would rather go for G0438RLX or G0661. They both have cast iron wings. In addition, Grizzly has recently introduced new Polar Bear series G0715P which almost looks like cabinet saw only with less horsepower !

I strongly advise DO NOT go for a saw with steel wings !

Van Huskey
06-09-2010, 7:49 AM
This saw has steel wings (not cast iron). That will be issue (more vibration). I would rather go for G0438RLX or G0661. They both have cast iron wings. In addition, Grizzly has recently introduced new Polar Bear series G0715P which almost looks like cabinet saw only with less horsepower !

I strongly advise DO NOT go for a saw with steel wings !

I like the specs on the G0715P as well BUT it shows September.

I would rather have cast than steel wings but it isn't a deal breaker for me if the money is tight.

In general Grizzly's estimates are accurate or conservative but no one knows 100%.

Greg Book
06-09-2010, 7:56 AM
I would love that hybrid saw as well, but its more expensive than I can afford and there is no way I can get 400lbs into my basement. Cast wings are not too important for me either, I've had stamped steel previously and they worked out well. I'm not sure its worth the $100 for me.

Hopefully Grizzly's backorder estimate is accurate, or an over estimate. But I will keep looking at other options in the meantime.

Greg Book
06-09-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a two part question about the Grizzly G0438RL table saw. First, has anyone had experience with this saw? Second, I ordered the saw today, but its on back order until July 15. Since its a new model, I'm wondering if Grizzly has shipped any yet, or they're just out of stock temporarily. How accurate are Grizzly's estimates for back order times? Or do they give discounts for similar items when the desired item is out of stock? It's unfortunate they only tell you its back-ordered after you place the order.

Well, I figured out why I found no reviews of the saw online. It doesn't seem that Grizzly ever shipped a single saw. I got a call today that they discontinued the G0438RL because they had problems with their supplier. I was offered the G0661 for a slight discount, but it was still more than I wanted to spend. Now I need to find another table saw. Craigslist has been sparse in my area (central CT), mainly Craftsmans and ancient cabinet saws. I'll just keep looking.