PDA

View Full Version : Planer Setup - Snipe Tests

Larry Frank
06-08-2010, 7:35 PM
I got a new Jet 15” planer with standard cutter knives a little bit ago and have been determining the best setup using the manufacturer and forum recommendations.

I went online and read the manuals for the following 15” planers – Jet (Powermatic), Delta, Grizzly, and Steel City. These planers are remarkably similar with a serrated infeed roll. I was looking for information on the setup for the bed rollers, the Infeed/Outfeed rolls, and extension tables.

1. Jet (Powermatic) recommended that the both the Infeed and Outfeed rolls be set at 0.020” below the lowest point of the cutter knives. However, when I talked with tech support they recommended 0.032” below the knives.
2. Grizzly recommended that the Infeed roll be 0.040” below the cutter knives and the Outfeed roll be 0.020” below the knives.
3. Delta recommended that both the Infeed and Outfeed rolls be set at 0.040” below the cutter knives.
4. Steel City also recommended the 0.040” below the cutter knives.

For Powermatic, Steel City, and Grizzly with cast iron extension tables, it was recommended that they are adjusted level with the bed of the planer. The recommendation for the Jet with roller extension tables was also level. The Delta had roller tables and it recommended the inside rolls level and the outside rolls up the thickness of two dimes.

The standard recommendation for the bed rolls was that they be as low as possible but may need to be adjusted higher for rough stock.

Given the various recommendations, I ran some tests to determine which would result in less snipe.

I used 3-1/2” by 32” long pieces of wood including soft pine, hard pine and ash with test cuts on the order of 0.040” to 0.080”. Four different setups were used with 3 pieces of each type of wood on each setup. I measured the snipe using a straight edge and feeler gauges.

The maximum snipe found in the tests ranged from 0.003” to 0.009”. I did not find any consistent difference in the snipe from the front or back of a board.
The length of the snipe was 2-3/8” on the front of the board and 3-1/8” on the back end of the board.

1. Bed rollers – the lower the better. I set mine with a feeler gauge and a straight edge. I got better results with the rollers set below the bed than at 0.003” above. However, the rollers help with the uniform feeding of the wood and I set mine as low as possible while still barely touching a straight edge.

2. Infeed and Outfeed rolls – The planer has three rolls on the Infeed and Outfeed. The recommendation from Jet is that they are set to the same plane as the bed rollers. However, less snipe was found with the rolls closest set at the same as the bed rollers, the middle roll 1/16” higher and the outside rolls set at 1/8” higher than the bed rollers. This is consistent with recommendations on the forum and in the Delta Manual.

3. Cut Circle to pressure rolls – This is how much lower the pressure rolls extend down below the cutter blades. The manuals suggested a range from 0.020” to 0.040”. The tests indicated that the 0.040” resulted in slightly less snipe. However, on light cuts, the marks from the serrated infeed pressure roll were not completely removed at this setting. I ended up using 0.020” but will watch to make certain that I do not get any slipping of the wood.

A mentioned in other posts, one can not completely eliminate snipe but with a good setup can minimize it. With the best setup on this 15” Jet planer, I was able to get snipe down to about 0.004” to 0.005”. The planer works well at taking rough wood down to size or taking heavy cuts. My only complaint is that when taking light cuts, the marks from the serrated Infeed roll can still be observed.

I also have a DeWalt DW 735 and ran tests on it but only varying the Infeed and Outfeed table setup. I tested having the tables completely flat versus having the ends of the tables up 1/8”. Surprisingly, there was not a lot of difference in the snipe for the two setups and I could only measure from less than 0.001” to 0.002” of snipe. There was less snipe on the front end of the board than the back end.

Compared to the Jet 15” Planer, the DeWalt DW735 works well at taking small amounts off, with low levels of snipe and no marks from the Infeed roll. As described, this planer is a finishing planer and works very well at that. My main complaint with this planer is that it is too LOUD.

I have to admit that I spent a lot of time on these tests (perhaps more than needed). I used a 38” Lee Valley aluminum straight edge and feeler gauges to adjust the planers and double checked the settings. I did find that with practice, I became a lot faster and better at setting up the planer.

I have been following a number of threads concerning the Byrd Heads with inserts and did consider purchasing one. However, I looked at the cost of them and decided for the amount of planning that I will do which is around 500 board feet per year, I could not justify cost. I will be buying some sets of blades for both planers from Infinity Tools.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions that anyone has concerning the amount of snipe that they have measured on their planner.

Joe Chritz
06-08-2010, 8:37 PM
I haven't ever measured but it is small enough that it goes away with the first pass at the drum sander or with a ROS in very short order.

I am going to guess around .004 or so.

Grizzly 15" set per recommendations.

FYI, light passes will always leave the marks. Nature of the beast unfortunately.

Nice tests by the way.

Joe

John Stan
06-08-2010, 9:57 PM
Larry,
What a fantastic and useful post you did. I have a Powermatic 15HH that I have been fighting snipe. I came to the exact same conclusions and settings as you.

My bed rollers are even with the bed.

My rollers are .032 below the cutterhead. My infeed / outfeed tables are all level with one another.

I get between .005 and .009 of snipe. I find this very frustrating and often cut the ends of boards off.

I also have a Delta 732 planer and it produces almost no snipe (.001 or better)

Has anyone done better with a Powermatic or Jet planer? If so, I would be curious of the settings.

-JDS

Rick Lizek
06-09-2010, 5:31 AM
On the planers I set up I get no snipe...period! I have tuning and rebuilding machines for over 25 years and much of it professionally. I do have to admit having very limited experience with lunch box planers.

The biggest factor on snipe is the bedrolls. Keep them as low as possible and even with rough wood I keep them low at a few thousandths but make sure the bed is well waxed. No need to spend a lot on a fancy wax. A cheap paste wax works as well as an expensive spray lube. Literally half the calls on feed issues have been because of lack of waxing the bed. You should see the looks I get when I wax the bed and feed issues go away. I then indicate the other settings, including feed rollers and such, and typically everything is fine.

Larry Frank
06-09-2010, 6:36 AM
I agree with the bed rollers. I tried mine below the bed and still had some measurable snipe on the order of a couple of thousandths. I put them back up until they were just touching the straight edge which was on the order or 0.001 to 0.002".

Since you have no snipe, can you share the kind of planer you are using, what settings, and the secret to no snipe.

Hans Braul
06-09-2010, 6:38 AM
Larry,
Your efforts are a service to humanity! You've inspired me to do more to minimize the snipe I get on my DeWalt 735. I've tried various adjustments to the tables but still get snipe. I need to be more systematic as you've done here. Thanks for the post.

Hans