PDA

View Full Version : Question for Rabbit Laser Owners

Nick Frank
06-08-2010, 6:53 PM
I got quotes from Frank at Rabbitlaser for a 3040 as $1600 plus $750.

1. Is this a reasonable price for shipping? It seems high to me.
2. I also wondered what additional costs would I have to pay for, as in how much money shipped to the US in fees and such.
3. Also does it ship to my door and will I need a dock and forklift to unload it?
4. Also can you use Photograv with this machine, or is it completely independent of the controller software? and one last question.
5. I found a similar sized laser engraver, a 1997 Universal Laser 25E refurbished 30W laser for little more than the cost of this, how would this 13 year old American machine compare to a new Chinese one.
Thanks for your help in assisting me with wading through my options.

Dan Hintz
06-08-2010, 8:24 PM
That is an insane shipping price when you consider these machines often go for $1,200-$1,400 on eBay with either free shipping or shipping in the $150 range. I think I picked mine up for a bit over $1150 shipped a couple of years ago. The main box is beefy (about 2'x3'x4'), and one or two other smaller boxes for the stuff like the tube, the exhaust fan, water pump, etc.

James Jaragosky
06-08-2010, 8:35 PM
I got quotes from Frank at Rabbitlaser for a 3040 as $1600 plus $750. This price is consistent with Franks pricing for this model, He should have included an extra tube, lens and mirrors for this price.

1. Is this a reasonable price for shipping? It seems high to me. Ask him if this is to your door or just to a local terminal. If you have to go pick it up at a terminal you will have additional Costs; usually under $100. The 750 shipping cost sounds like airfreight. If it is airfreight, it is about right.
2. I also wondered what additional costs would I have to pay for, as in how much money shipped to the US in fees and such. Frank can supply a complete cost brake down including shipping. Make him work for your buck.
3. Also does it ship to my door and will I need a dock and forklift to unload it? The machine weighs around 88 lbs. with the create it will fill the bed of a full size pickup truck
4. Also can you use Photograv with this machine, or is it completely independent of the controller software?. Photograv is a completely independent program. You create a file with Photograv then save that file to be opened by the machine software.
5. I found a similar sized laser engraver, a 1997 Universal Laser 25E refurbished 30W laser for little more than the cost of this, how would this 13 year old American machine compare to a new Chinese one. I will leave this for others to answer.

Nick Frank
06-08-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the quick response Dan and James. I have not been able to find this size machine for that price, Dan, I have seen the smaller 8x12 bed in that price range, but add a few inches to that and the prices double to around $3000 such as the Artsign 3040. Is there really significant difference between buying from iehk, rabbitlaser, mbkp, or ebay sellers like aip printing? I'm still wavering between the smaller 8x12 and the 12x16 because of the price difference, but the 8x12 bed just seems so limiting. and to Jim, yes that is air freight, but if it is similar to Artsigns 3040, I think the weight is closer to 215lbs, that what they have listed as shipping weight, but nearly the same machine and theres is $3000 plus $350 shipping from New Mexico. So about $800 more than rabbitlaser's price. I know this is pennies to a lot of people on the board with $20,000 dollar machines, but to someone looking for a machine to use occasionally, those pennies add up.

Mike Null
06-08-2010, 9:37 PM
I do not think ULS is providing parts for that machine any longer. It would pay to give them a call before proceeding.

Nick Frank
06-08-2010, 9:49 PM
Thanks Mike, once I get a solid price quote on that Universal, (I guessed on the price compared to another they had) I'll send them an email. If I had been looking for a laser last October, I would have swept in on that deal James was selling his for. I would have been a steal and only a couple hours drive!

James Jaragosky
06-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I purchased a hx3040 from Frank two years ago and the weight of the machine was 88 lbs. The machine comes well created and may very well weigh 215 lbs.

Dan Hintz
06-09-2010, 5:58 AM
Ah, that's the next step up... didn't sink in on first read. It's a larger machine, but $750 tells me it's coming straight form China... the other eBay dealers tend to buy in bulk to spread the shipping price around, so a few hundred $s is more reasonable (if you can find it).

Scott Shepherd
06-09-2010, 8:32 AM
If you needed a new tube for the ULS at any point in the near future, you'd spend more on that than the entire machine you're looking at, so keep that in mind.

Nick Frank
06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
That's what I was thinking Scott. Also buying a laser that's not "factory" refurbished makes me more nervous than when I buy refurbished ipods or monitors. So as to my other question, what seperates one of these Chinese lasers from another Chinese laser. I'm under the assumption that there is no real difference in the machines, or support really, they all look the same. Some have another inch here or there, or say their's is 10 Watts more, or newer software. I'm trying to see if the ARtcut is worth the extra $800 or so (after shipping and dutues are paid) or is not having screw around with customs worth the extra money?;)

Dan Hintz
06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I question whether the 50W units are nothing more than rebadged 40W units to make a sale... the tube lengths are often the same, and tube length is directly related to power with these things. There are only a couple of designs out there, but a ton of different shops copying and making them. There are only a couple of different software/firmware creators, so again, it all tends to come from the same source. Differentiation is often nothing more than paint color.

One thing I'm not thrilled about the cheaper software is loading images is a multi-part process... Create the image in one program, save and load into something like PhotoGrav, save and load into a third program that controls the laser, etc. Too much shuffling of files going on, and if you made a mistake or want to tweak something, you have to start at the beginning. If you intend to spend real money on a program, make sure the process flow is streamlined, otherwise it makes sense to throw that money into a machine that is designed from the ground up to work as a single entity.

Nick Frank
06-11-2010, 12:56 AM
For anyone asking some of the same questions as me, I emailed Frank about the HX3040 again to ask some more questions, as the website is lacking in details.

1. What is the maximum item height engravable?
10cm (4”)
2. What software is included?
Newlydraw software will come with machine
3. Is vector cutting supported, as in dxf or ai files?
Yes, vector cutting supported, DXF, AI, corel draw…etc
4. How much will the import/customs cost me?
You can clear custom by yourself as value is under $2000, that will save a lot for you as you don’t custom broker.
5. Is the price for shipping to my door or do I have to pick it up at a port?
Picking up from airport.
6. Do I need a forklift to unload from shipping truck
No, you don’t need that as it is relatively smaller and lighter.
7. How do I arrange payment?
Bank transfer
8. What is the weight of the machine?
150 lbs
9. What is the shipping weight?
around 170lbs

My question to you guys, mainly you Jim;) because I know you went through this, is what is the process of picking it up at the airport? Do they call and you arrange a time, or do you have a time limit? What kind of paperwork do I need? Do I have to drag a 170 pound crate through the airport and parking lot to load it in my truck? I rarely go to the airport, and have no idea how to pick up a package from there. Thanks guys!

James Jaragosky
06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
For anyone asking some of the same questions as me, I emailed Frank about the HX3040 again to ask some more questions, as the website is lacking in details.

1. What is the maximum item height engravable?
10cm (4”)
2. What software is included?
Newlydraw software will come with machine
3. Is vector cutting supported, as in dxf or ai files?
Yes, vector cutting supported, DXF, AI, corel draw…etc
4. How much will the import/customs cost me?
You can clear custom by yourself as value is under $2000, that will save a lot for you as you don’t custom broker.
5. Is the price for shipping to my door or do I have to pick it up at a port?
Picking up from airport.
6. Do I need a forklift to unload from shipping truck
No, you don’t need that as it is relatively smaller and lighter.
7. How do I arrange payment?
Bank transfer
8. What is the weight of the machine?
150 lbs
9. What is the shipping weight?
around 170lbs

My question to you guys, mainly you Jim;) because I know you went through this, is what is the process of picking it up at the airport? Do they call and you arrange a time, or do you have a time limit? What kind of paperwork do I need? Do I have to drag a 170 pound crate through the airport and parking lot to load it in my truck? I rarely go to the airport, and have no idea how to pick up a package from there. Thanks guys!

My machine came by airfreight from China to Chicago, and then it was trucked to an Indianapolis warehouse.
I had to go to the warehouse to pick up the paperwork that I needed to present to the customs office down the road. Once I cleared customs and paid the customs fees (around $80. at the time) I returned to the warehouse and paid a service and storage fee (around $35.00). The whole processes took around an hour.
Both the warehouse and customs offices were near but not located on airport property.
You should read my posts about my experience with this machine and its delivery there will be more detail there.
If you plan to vector cut anything with this machine you will need air assist. Air assist did not come on the smaller models at the time I received my machine,and as far as I know it still is not offered. That is why I sold my hx3040 and purchased a hx6090. Air assist is a must for these machines unless all you plan to do is raster.
Jim J.

Nick Frank
06-11-2010, 2:11 PM
Thanks for the detailed breakdown, Jim. I think I read most of your posts from when you bought your laser, but it sounded like you picked it up at the airport, but perhaps I missed the thread you were referring to. I know you had talked alot about air assist being a must, but I'm trying to bank on the fact that I can build my own. Cost being a major factor, I'd love to be able to step up to the larger lasers, but don't currently have the funds or customers for that. I have faith that with the help of SMC, CNCZone, and Buildlog I can build a working air assist for much less money than buying a much more expensive machine. I built a cnc router that I have been using for about a year now with the knowledge I aquired just reading through the forums, and the air assist seems like a much simpler project, but I sure someone will prove me wrong. :p

Nick Frank
06-11-2010, 2:47 PM
Sorry James, for some reason I want to call you Jim:)

Nick Frank
06-11-2010, 8:21 PM
Thanks for the offer Jay. Your link is not working, but I went to sites listed in your signature. I'm interested in the "Hot sale" laser. I always wanted a laser that was "red dot poisoned", but is also versatile enough to make "breast cards". My wife will be so excited! Just kidding Jay. Before I could even consider those lasers, I would need some prices and shipping costs. I'm interested in the prices for the 3050c, 3050d, and the 340. And what are your shipping costs for a machine this size? This board has a lot of good things to say about Frank Fang and rabbitlasers, you're gonna have to try hard to break me away from them or mbkp.
Also I want to shout out to MBKP. I don't know if many people have bought from them, or how their service compares to others, but it's reassuring to see a webpage written in detail, understandable English, informative and easy to follow videos, complete machine specs, and most importantly, PRICES and SHIPPING PRICES.

Dan Hintz
06-11-2010, 9:12 PM
Jay,

Your advertising is against the forum rules...

Jay Khan
06-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Sorry, My Mistake , I've updated the info. in the signature and see that the posts have already been deleted. In future I'd be sure to PM the person with any direct info. instead of the whole forum.

Jay Khan
06-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Ok, Since one of my recent response was deleted I'll try to quickly clarify some of the information posted by Nick.

I certainly also find the "Chinglish" on the website funny and counter productive but I'm working with the company to try to take care of the language issues on the website.

I've actually just recently joined the company so there is some work to do as far as the language goes.

Nick, I'm really not here to peddle the items but since SMC has been great to me I do want to pay-it-forward with providing any information/knowledge you would like to know about Newlydraw etc.

BTW, My first ever laser was actually from MBKPinternational, It was a good experience.