PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy experience anyone?

Kevin Johnson
06-08-2010, 5:34 PM
My Ryobi lawnmower with a Honda engine developed a crack (more like a large hole) at one of the engine mounts. I was going to get it welded, but after I pulled the motor off the deck I am not sure if a welder could do anything.

Anyway, I have some West System 3 Epoxy with the filler. I also have some fiberglass mesh tape used for drywall. I was thinking of maybe laying the tape and epoxy in there kind of like I have seen with boats. Then build it up a few times.

Does anyone think that will work? Or, I could go with the welding route, but I could not think of anything that could be put in there to fill the gap.

I would love to get a new mower, but that is out of the budget right now as I recently got laid off.

Thanks

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4683505426_5e86788181_m.jpg the irregular hole is the broken mount

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-08-2010, 6:36 PM
If the crack is in the mower body you need to know what it's made of. Steel? Some polymer? If it's plastic What polymer?

West won't likely be up to the challenge.
If it's some plastic you really need to know the plastic before trying to get anything to stick to it.

fred marcuson
06-08-2010, 8:56 PM
how about making some sort of patch plate ?

Joe Pelonio
06-08-2010, 9:23 PM
I would use JB Weld, an epoxy but with metal in it, and would also place a patch plate as recommended by Fred, for additional strength, maybe .04 aluminum.

David Thompson 27577
06-09-2010, 8:35 AM
If the deck is steel, then you should probably use steel, and get it welded.

IMO, the vibration of the engine, and the constant barrage from beneath with grass, twigs, acorns........ will cause any epoxy repair to fail.

And if the steel is in bad enough shape that welding is impossible, then think seriously about your safety, and go buy a new mower.

Darryl Hazen
06-09-2010, 9:19 AM
Devcon epoxy is excellent for metal repair. It can be drilled and tapped is necessary.

Pat Germain
06-09-2010, 9:55 AM
Would it be possible to rotate the engine a few degrees and drill new mounting holes?