PDA

View Full Version : Antique plane/alternative material

Caspar Hauser
06-08-2010, 1:20 PM
This has probably been brought to the forums attention before, but for those interested here is a link to what may be the oldest known complete plane.

http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/culture/museums/collections/detail.php?t=objects&type=related&kv=16994

I'm not for one moment advocating the use of ivory, however there has been some discussion of the use of dense plastics in plane making, perhaps this might be an appropriate avenue.

Ah, Really rather old news, it seems that another, 'camber tossing' forum has already touched upon this at length, YorkshireStewart having blogged about it.

Ha! Mr Schwarz at popular woodworking got into the Roman plane making act too, seems I'm the only one who hasn't. :)

george wilson
06-08-2010, 8:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with using PRE BAN ivory. The only problem is that the amount of ivory in that plane would easily exceed $2000.00 in today's ivory prices.

It is still rather surprising that even in Roman times,ivory would be used in a plane. Africa was a long way off,and it is certain that ivory would have been a luxury material back then. Especially since you only usually see it used in luxury goods,like jewelry.

In the more recent times,like the 16th.C. some wealthy types,even kings would indulge in manual trades for a hobby. One king was into locksmithing. His tools were highly ornamented.Even his leg vise was engraved all over.

I'm wondering if some wealthy Romans did the same? Also,consider that this plane was found in one of the most remote colonies of Rome. Who would bring such a valuable object other than a wealthy Roman,or very high ranking officer?