PDA

View Full Version : Tabs on cutouts

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I have a sheet of cutouts that I want to keep attached to the sheet. I want to add little tabs so the customer can remove the cutouts.

I have Corel X5 and have added a few small ones manualy but its a painfull process. Is there a way to do this in a more automated functiopn?

Dan Hintz
06-08-2010, 2:06 PM
Try changing your vector line from solid to dashed (Line Properties tab)... if you want to get really fancy, change the dash spacing.

Niklas Bjornestal
06-08-2010, 2:11 PM
Try lowering the ppi when cutting.

Frank Corker
06-08-2010, 5:36 PM
I agree with Dan, the vector hairline can be changed to dots, you can even add your own sequence to suit you or just use the drop down and use a preset.

Rodne Gold
06-09-2010, 3:22 AM
Programs like engravelab allow you to do tabs well, various different types as well , however its not cheap or free.

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-09-2010, 6:05 PM
Thanks all. I tried the ppi and that did not help. I will try the dash and doted lines.

Jon Colley
06-10-2010, 8:20 AM
Just a note for Trotec users: This function is built into Job Control as the Link function. You can adjust the size, spacing and power level on these tabs. It's usually used for rubber stamps so the whole sheet can be cleaned at once, but you can use it for other applications as well.

Richard Rumancik
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Michael, I don't think you will have luck with dashed lines and ppi methods. In my experience, I want to put the tabs in precise locations and be able to define the width of the tab.

You say it is a painful process - how are you doing it now?

Perhaps consider using the eraser tool.
1. Make sure the shape is not closed, or the eraser tool will act like a ball hitting a rubber wall. If it is a closed path, break it at one node.
2. Select the shape.
3. Select the eraser tool.
4. Set the eraser diameter relative to the width to the tab you want to use. (Because of kerf (beam) diameter you need to increase the tab/eraser width over nominal. e.g. a .005" tab/eraser would probably not leave an actual tab.)
5. Cut across the wall in the area you want a tab. The remaining sections will still be one curve.
6. If all the shapes on the sheet are the same, just do one and step & repeat.
7. You can erase in straight lines by using the control key. See Corel help if you want to do this.
8. Keep a "master" copy of the un-tabbed shape so you can revert back and try a different tab layout. It is time consuming to remove the tabs.
9. If the material has a "grain" like wood you need to select where the tabs should go. Wood veneer will break easily along the grain so the tab may be ineffective if placed on the grain.

I really can't imagine any automated process to add tabs. I tend to want to plan where they go, so they have minimal impact on appearance, fit, ease of removal without damage to parts, etc. If there are too many tabs you may need to twist the parts excessively and they could be damaged. Fewer is better.