PDA

View Full Version : Patina finish on old iron

Rick Akl
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I've got an old vise that had paint spilled all over it in addition to a poor rattle can paint job. I am planning on getting it down to bare steel via electrolysis. I'd like to refinish it to look like this finish below. Does anyone know of a technique that they can point me to?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lKAeyE04-qM/R04xe4XPHZI/AAAAAAAAAZ0/Whmz_P5XeKg/s400/Yost+Patternmakers+vise.jpg

Andrew Nemeth
06-08-2010, 11:47 AM
You may want to post your question over at owwm if you don't get any replies in here. There a great group that take their old iron seriously.

David G Baker
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
You could try gun bluing and that may give you the look you are searching for. Maybe stove black will work as well.

David Cefai
06-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Hammerite?

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/ps_garden_metal_shades.html

Chip Lindley
06-08-2010, 2:24 PM
No doubt your vise was originally enameled to provide protection against rust, in a trademark color of the maker (black?).

But, Home Depot is said to carry Rustoleum "Cast Iron Paint" which mimmicks the look of CI. I have also read of an automotive paint called *Blast Cast* used by rebuilders to spray on the look of CI.

Don Jarvie
06-08-2010, 4:43 PM
How bout spraying it with lacquer? See if there is a durable one out there that won't chip every 2 seconds.

You can leave it as is and paste wax it but depending on your climate you may have to do it often.

Richard Dragin
06-08-2010, 5:46 PM
Have done electrolysis before? It'll come out darker than the picture.

Rick Lizek
06-10-2010, 5:38 AM
Commercially it's black oxide but for the DIY see tool blackening in www.mcmaster.com

Dave Lehnert
06-10-2010, 7:18 AM
No doubt your vise was originally enameled to provide protection against rust, in a trademark color of the maker (black?).

But, Home Depot is said to carry Rustoleum "Cast Iron Paint" which mimmicks the look of CI. I have also read of an automotive paint called *Blast Cast* used by rebuilders to spray on the look of CI.

Great info. Thanks for the post.

Rick Akl
06-10-2010, 8:55 AM
Thanks all! I'll be looking in to all the methods.