PDA

View Full Version : CFL for ceiling fans

Brian Elfert
06-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I have been using CFLs in some light fixtures attached to ceiling fans for a while. The light fixtures are almost vertical and are like a can.

The problem is premature failure of the CFLs. I had at least one bulb that failed in under three months and the fan was never used during those three months.

Are there any CFLs that will work in this situation? I really like the CFLs better as they provide more light for less money.

Jim O'Dell
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I had thought that CFLs would be ideal for this environment since there is no filament to vibrate and damage. I just don't like the look with an open globe. Plus all the new fan light fixtures have the small bases. Not sure if they make CFLs with those bases or not. Jim.

David Weaver
06-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I recall seeing CFLs that were designed for fixtures that move a while ago. They cost more than regular CFLs, but supposedly didn't have the same issue that most do with dying fast in ceiling fans.

Search GE CFL Ceiling Fan Bulb on google.

I noticed that a lot of places sell regular CFLs for ceiling fans, but you're not the first person to find out the standard ones don't last in them.

$7- 10 for an 11 watt bulb is a bitter pill to swallow, but I guess that's the cost of regulation.

Jeremy Milam
06-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I bought CFL with candleobra (I know its spelled wrong) bases at Lowes for a fan. They've been in for a few month and work great. Also used regular CFLs in an older fan since October and no problems, the lights on every evening.

Brian Effinger
06-08-2010, 12:16 PM
That's weird. I've had a cfl in my fan for at least 3 years, and it is still going strong. It is just a regular bulb I bought from Home Depot. Nothing special.

Lee Schierer
06-08-2010, 1:16 PM
Some CFL's don't like burning in a base up mode. Check the box/package on the CFL see if it is approved for orientations other than base down. There is usually a note or pictograph showing the acceptable orientations.

Matt Meiser
06-08-2010, 1:25 PM
I'm still waiting for them to come out with dimmable, decorative, ceiling fan bulbs. We have pushbutton control units on the wall for each of our fans which have dimmers so that restricts what we can buy. I check every few months but no dice yet.

glenn bradley
06-08-2010, 1:48 PM
I have been running the same spiral CFL's in my often used master bedroom ceiling fan for 5 years. The ones in my office for 2. they are name brand bulbs; Sylvania and GE IIRC. I do not have a dimmer in the circuit.

Rod Sheridan
06-08-2010, 2:19 PM
I use the CFL's for fan application, they have an envelope that looks like an incandescent lamp, along with similar light distribution.

They seem to last just fine..........Rod.

Brian Elfert
06-08-2010, 2:28 PM
All of the bulbs have been GE bulbs.

I don't think the vibration is killing them as a number of them died over the winter and the fan had never been in operation for the life of the bulb. I suspect having them base up is the issue, but the stuff I read says this should be fine as long as not recessed and totally enclosed.

glenn bradley
06-08-2010, 3:42 PM
I'm home for lunch so I checked in the hopes that it might help. All Sylvania. Medium base in the bedroom (5 years) and candelabra base in the office (2 years). Both fans are wired direct and work off the fan's pull chain.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-08-2010, 3:46 PM
IIRC I've seen CFLs for ceiling fans at WalMart. Can't remember if they were 40 or 60 watt equivalent.

Eduard Nemirovsky
06-08-2010, 4:14 PM
And you can buy a dimmable CFL at Lowes.

Steve Bigelow
06-08-2010, 5:37 PM
Don't buy the cheap bulbs and you'll get much better results. I used to buy the Feit bulbs at Home Depot and Costco, and write the install date on the base. About every 6 months I'd gather up all the ones that failed prematurely and take them back to HD. They'd willing just hand over a replacement one.

Well, as you can imagine, changing a 7-10 year bulb every 9-12 months was a pain, to say the least. Plus, over time, they get to where they start out really dim and gradually warm up to where they actually work, generally taking about 5 minutes to do so.

This last time I bought bulbs I got bulbs from my local plumbing and electrical supply shop. This was Thanksgiving last year, and they were on sale down to $1 each from about $4 each. These are brighter, whiter, don't have the slow turn on issue, and I haven't had to replace one of them yet.

Sorry, I don't recall the name of the "good" bulbs, but just be aware that you get what you pay for, and both the Lights of America and Feit are garbage, not worth your time.

John Coloccia
06-08-2010, 5:42 PM
Brian:

Are you a drummer?

Brian Elfert
06-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Brian:

Are you a drummer?

No. No musical talents at all.

John Coloccia
06-08-2010, 11:22 PM
No. No musical talents at all.

I was killing some of my CFLs with my drum kit. There was a group that would go out quicker than anywhere else in the house. I finally figured it out when one of them started flashing on and off in time with my bass drum :)