PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Purchase This Handle?

Jim Guy
11-26-2004, 11:24 AM
This picture is from the Leigh Jig site. I want to make a few of these as Christmas gifts. Does anyone know where I can purchase handles anything like this? If not, any ideas on how to make them?
Thanks - Jim Guy

Tony Falotico
11-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Jim, my first thoughts is to build a small bending jig (form) and laminate three or four thin strips together. I would also try using contrasting woods to add some interest to the handle.

Randy Meijer
11-26-2004, 12:13 PM
You might try a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby??

Jason Tuinstra
11-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Jim,

This is easier to build than you may think. On top of this, I can't imagine that you can buy one that is pre-bent for your specifications.

On the two carriers that I posted below I bent a sold piece of wood after steaming/boiling it on our stove. A friend of mine built me a water bath out of galvanized steel. I've used it for Shaker oval boxes and these handles. After you steam the wood for a few minutes (10-15), I clamped the handle to a jig made for the right dimensions of the box and clamped it in place and let it sit over night. On one box I built the handle for the inside of the box (I don't like this one as much as the other) and the other is for the outside.

The box you pictured is a Shaker box which is listed in John Kassey's book on Shaker Furniture. If you want, I can get the full dimensions for you if you're interested. His drawings also show a kind of oval radius to this handle. Just let me know via a pm and I can try and get you this info.

Hope this helps.

Carole Valentine
11-26-2004, 4:28 PM
I steam bend white oak for backscratchers in the microwave. Soak it, wrap it in wet towels, nuke it (you'll have to experiment on time for your wood) put it in the form or jig and let it dry. Just don't walk away from the microwave while it's cooking...you could get a fire. Start out with a low time and work your way up.

Jason Tuinstra
11-26-2004, 5:34 PM
Jim, now that I'm home, I thought some pictures might help you out.

Step one (pic one): I make a jig that looks good next to the box with the proper fit and curve. I also use a center line for reference.

Step two (pic two): I measure the jig and cut my handle accordingly. After this is done, I mark a centerline on the handle - in this case 10" I cut whatever profiles I want in the handle and drill out holes for the tacks. I then move on to the next step.

Step three (pic three): I take my handle stock and put it in my water bath having already brought the water to a boil. I let it soak in there for about 15 minutes or so. My water bath was built big for a variety of projects. You may need to get resourceful at this point.

Step four (pic four): Immediately after taking the handle out the water, I line up the centerline of the jig with the centerline that I marked on the handle and apply the first clamp. Careful, the handle is hot!

Step five (pic five): Gently wrap the handle around the jig and put on the rest of the clamps. When it's dry, you're good to go!

Have fun!

Steve Inniss
11-26-2004, 7:05 PM
Jason,
A couple of things...

Is it because of the handle inside that you don't like the box on the right? It's certainly a lovely box but it just doesn't look right. The other one is fabulous.

Also thanks for posting the step-by-step. -Steve

Jim Guy
11-26-2004, 7:18 PM
Jason - Thanks for the pics and the help. I'm going to give it a shot.

Christopher Pine
11-26-2004, 9:15 PM
What did the box cost you to get made? Materials etc...?? I need to do this eventually! I have wanted to make some shaker boxes since I seen the demo a few months back at our woodworkers guild. Really looks like a fun project.. Do you solder the galvanized metal?
Chris

A friend of mine built me a water bath out of galvanized steel. I've used it for Shaker oval boxes and these handles.

Jason Tuinstra
11-26-2004, 9:39 PM
Christopher, I don't recall what he used. I thought it was some kind of paste, but I could be way off. He's a heating and cooling guy, so he had all the know-how. I just told him what I wanted and he came through for me. Cost = freebie. Gotta love that!

Jim DeLaney
11-27-2004, 8:09 AM
Jason - Thanks for the pics and the help. I'm going to give it a shot.

Instead of boiling/steaming, why not laminate a handle out of several very thin strips of wood. Oak, ash, and maple bend very well. So do walnut and cherry.

Just cut your strips about 3/32" thick - as many as you need to get the handle thickness you want - and use a form similar to what Jason has already shown. Any yellow glue will work, but I prefer hide glue, or plastic resin glue. Just butter the strips with glue and bend them around the form.

Actually pretty easy to do.

You could even get 'fancy' and laminate astrip of light wood into a dark handle, or vice-versa, as an accent.