PDA

View Full Version : Turning designs

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-08-2010, 9:23 AM
I've built a lot of furniture and done little turning. When I design a piece of furniture, I usually begin with a sketch and end up with all my known problems and shapes worked out on paper before I ever cut a stick. Do turners work the same way? Do you usually sketch out a bowl shape or a finial design for shape and proportion then turn it or is it more about inspiration based on what the particular piece of wood wants to be?
fmr

Thom Sturgill
06-08-2010, 9:38 AM
Segmented turners plan. Most others seem to plan only in the most general way, most of the time. That is, they start out to make a bowl, or a hollow form with some idea of its finished shape, but go with the flow when 'design opportunities' arise.

I think the more artistic the item, the more planning was probably done, as that often implies the artist is forcing *his* vision on the wood, even as he listens to what the wood tells him.

John Hart
06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
While I do not design a piece in advance, I do like to consider the overall proportions. There is the "Golden Ratio" that most agree is the key to natural beauty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

So, for overall width and height, I like to consider that. Other aspects I like to do is, when turning a vase, consider the diameter of the body versus the diameter of the mouth...and then total height.

Sometimes it is difficult to "see" the proper proportions while the piece is horizontal. It also helps to take a picture of it....then rotate the picture on the computer to "see" it better.

Then, of course, when you experience a bad catch....all that goes out the window. :o

Thom Sturgill
06-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Then, of course, when you experience a bad catch....all that goes out the window. :o

Like I said 'design opportunities' :D

John Keeton
06-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I think the more artistic the item, the more planning was probably done, as that often implies the artist is forcing *his* vision on the wood, even as he listens to what the wood tells him.This is more of where I am with this question. I have been drawn to the "artsy" stuff, and I generally have planned it, including detailing, etc. The scale and detail of the finial, if any, is usually refined after the form is done, because my idea of scale may change. I do sometimes sketch my pieces to scale, but they are just that - sketches.

But, even with bowls, when I get an urge to turn a particular shape, and then dig around in my stash for what I feel to be an appropriate piece of wood to compliment what I have in mind. Admittedly, that doesn't always work as planned - the John Hart factor!!

Michelle Rich
06-08-2010, 11:23 AM
being primarily a segmented turner I plan EVERYTHING..diameter, height, each gosh darn piece up to the 800-900 piece range. But when I turn a "regular" piece I throw caution to the wind and just start . I know it's gonna be a bowl, but that is about it for planning.

Thom Sturgill
06-08-2010, 11:53 AM
<snip>when I get an urge to turn a particular shape, and then dig around in my stash for what I feel to be an appropriate piece of wood to compliment what I have in mind.

The piece I use for my avatar was one I had planned, and then hunted for the right piece of wood for several months before I found that piece of zebra wood with strong straight grain to emphasize the curvature of the square bowl. I don't have much in the way of 'stash' currently. When I retire...

George Guadiane
06-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I pick a piece of (green) wood that interests me on any given day and put it on the lathe. I turn it round - cylinder-ISH till I can see where the features are, which way the character will show best on a finished form, then I remount it and go with the orientation and begin to refine the form. If/when I find the most ideal form to figure ratio, I will start hollowing (with the Golden Ratio and all other elements of form in mind). Sometimes sacrificing IDEAL form for an attractive feature is a good trade.
Then, of course there IS the :eek: dunh dunh DUNHHhhhhh "Design Opportunity.":mad:

Tim Rinehart
06-08-2010, 2:24 PM
Ya know, a year ago my answer would have been "what the wood tells me" as I start turning it. Now, don't get me wrong, I've turned some nice bowls that way, and got lucky design wise for the end product, but you may miss some good opportunities to get something nicer if you don't plan ahead a bit more. Don't ask me how I know this...I blew thru some of the nicest blackline spalted poplar that was my 'learning' wood.

If I consider the vessels I've done recently, I have sketched on the blank with a pencil for the rough outline to see rough proportions, then roughed out the outside, and then start looking at the grain and any features that were hidden under the surface to use or turn away (i.e punkiness).

In general, I find unless I'm doing something 'repetitive' where I am starting with similar blank proportions and end product, I try to draw it out to force myself into some discipline of thinking ahead. Doing that has forced me to get better at some turning methods and thinking about direction of cut to avoid tearout.

Bottom line: That's me...but others may have enough of a picture in their head that a sketch isn't needed to keep discipline of doing what they set out for.

John Hart
06-08-2010, 2:47 PM
Tim...You are a true turner. :)

You just described how you used to "fly by the seat of your pants"....but you've seasoned yourself into "planning things out".

But then...your method of planning things out, is akin to an architect drawing a picture in the dirt and saying..."Ok...build that!"

Don't get me wrong...I'm not being critical, comical, mean-spirited or nothing....There is a distinct difference between the mind of a turner and the minds of everyone else.

Turners are the coolest people on the planet.

We need to start telling everyone else that we are the coolest people.

I need to make a sign....

Tim Rinehart
06-08-2010, 3:42 PM
Turners are the coolest people on the planet.

We need to start telling everyone else that we are the coolest people.

You know, I've helped out our local clubs a couple times turning tops and stuff at the local festivals...and watching kids and adults eyes too...it's clear we're cool to them. Especially when you let them pick a couple colors to touch on a top, before parting it away while spinning, using a light touch to magically remove it off the blank, or how an adult watches a goblet or plate being formed from a piece of wood...how can you remain modest and not smile at what you're doing.

I think demonstrating and teaching our craft is the 'coolest' thing we do...words don't do justice.

For those who haven't taken that opportunity, seize it when it comes along...it will make you smile too.

charlie knighton
06-08-2010, 5:17 PM
i turn chucks of wood, i do not use sketches for hollow forms or bowls, i do try to use golden triangle or my version of it, small bottoms (1" to 1 1/2") was an "doing it inspiration" as my tendons are generally 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" wide.

Little Beaver

alex carey
06-08-2010, 6:56 PM
As other have stated I look at a piece of wood and generally have an imagine of what is going to come out, no drawing necessary. Having just started doing more off center work I've had to plan a lot more and I've now begun to draw on the wood to see what I think looks good or doesn't.

Jon Lanier
06-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I meditate and let the wood 'speak' to me and let it find its own shape. :rolleyes: