PDA

View Full Version : Resaw fence for 18" jet band saw

Nathan Palenski
06-08-2010, 8:18 AM
I'm about to get into resawing some not perfectly flat stock. My bandsaw is good for about 10" of resaw height. Thus far I've been eyeing it with no fence and as you can imagine its not the best result. I've heard good things about the Laguna fence but nothing good about its documentation.

What I need is something adjustable for drift that will accept stock thats not perfectly square. Does anyone have this setup that can give some insight?

Al Navas
06-08-2010, 8:58 AM
Nathan,

Just this past Friday I installed the Laguna Driftmaster on my ancient 17-inch Grizzly, and used it over the weekend.

In summary: WOW! I have never done any resawing with such precision. All cuts were within 0.005" (that's 5 thousands of an inch!) along the width, and along the length. I also now use Laguna's Resaw King blade, which Tito offers as special deals here on SMC.

You can watch an 8-minute video on my blog. I don't say much this time, but spend a lot of time resawing and measuring... :cool: :D

I am not sure if you might be able to get your stock nice and square, for best results. But the fence will help - I know I won't go back to my shop-made MDF tall fence.

David Weaver
06-08-2010, 9:02 AM
I'm about to get into resawing some not perfectly flat stock. My bandsaw is good for about 10" of resaw height. Thus far I've been eyeing it with no fence and as you can imagine its not the best result. I've heard good things about the Laguna fence but nothing good about its documentation.

What I need is something adjustable for drift that will accept stock thats not perfectly square. Does anyone have this setup that can give some insight?

Does your jet have a T-squre fence? I also have an 18" jet, a couple of years old. Came with a T-square fence and a - for lack of a better term - resaw bar that can be bolted to it. I've found that to work so well with a grip-tite at the bottom of the board and a carbide resaw blade that I haven't used a thickness planer in my shop in a couple of years.

Nathan Palenski
06-08-2010, 9:59 AM
Nathan,

Just this past Friday I installed the Laguna Driftmaster on my ancient 17-inch Grizzly, and used it over the weekend.

In summary: WOW! I have never done any resawing with such precision. All cuts were within 0.005" (that's 5 thousands of an inch!) along the width, and along the length. I also now use Laguna's Resaw King blade, which Tito offers as special deals here on SMC.

You can watch an 8-minute video on my blog. I don't say much this time, but spend a lot of time resawing and measuring... :cool: :D

I am not sure if you might be able to get your stock nice and square, for best results. But the fence will help - I know I won't go back to my shop-made MDF tall fence.

I'll check your vid out. I already have a resaw king on it I bought from Tim before he left.

Does your jet have a T-squre fence? I also have an 18" jet, a couple of years old. Came with a T-square fence and a - for lack of a better term - resaw bar that can be bolted to it. I've found that to work so well with a grip-tite at the bottom of the board and a carbide resaw blade that I haven't used a thickness planer in my shop in a couple of years.

I dont know what the current fence is called. I got the saw second hand and didnt get any attachments. I can take a picture tonight when I get home. The current fence doenst look to have any adjustment for drift and isnt very tall.