PDA

View Full Version : Gloat! Stanley #2 Smoother

john brenton
06-08-2010, 1:54 AM
Oh man, it was the best. I won by $0.50 on ebay. I didn't even wait till the last minute, I just set my highest bid last week and forgot about. If the other guy would have just bid $0.51 more he would have had it. It's a man's game baby. I'm so satisfied...I feel like I just ate a 3 lb ribeye.

I have no interest in woodworking, but I just figured I should buy it just to have it. I have lots of money and buy things that others want. This plane is going to look great in a box along with the straight razors, Swaty stones, the vintage Martin guitars (that I don't play) and the safari cards (that children will never get to enjoy).

john brenton
06-08-2010, 2:02 AM
that was pretty immature of me. I hope it doesn't make the guy mad, just trying to lighten it up.

Brian Greb
06-08-2010, 7:51 AM
Pretty funny Richard:p ... I have given up on the whole resonable price thing. I say the heck with it I'll just get one of the buy it now over priced guys. At least I'll have the tool I need and I can finish my projects.

James Taglienti
06-08-2010, 8:09 AM
Come on. It's not like these people are collecting donated blood or vaccines or something.

Still humorous though. ;)

David Weaver
06-08-2010, 8:15 AM
Brian, you almost nailed it yesterday, right? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday mornings and overnights are my favorite end times for auctions. Just keep at it - you can probably get one for a hundred bucks sometime.

There's another forum that I read where they have an alternate board for people to make spoof and parity posts. Stuff like what the OP did is encouraged (and funny). As soon as someone puts up a post, like complaining about collectors, someone will immediately put a post up in the alt board saying "I'm so tired of tool users!" and pretend it's from a collector's point of view.

I realize that this forum walks the straight line and wouldn't ever encourage such a thing, but it's a lot of fun and it keeps things from getting to serious on there.

Don Dorn
06-08-2010, 9:32 AM
Ya, maybe a little nasty, but really, really funny.

Dave Anderson NH
06-08-2010, 12:33 PM
There is no prohibition against spoofs or humor on this forum as long as they are in good taste and don't violate the SMC Terms of Service. Basically it means as long as it is hand tool related and does not contain profanity, doesn't attack anyone, and avoids the Creeks list of prohibited subjects it is fair game.

I would warn you though that as moderator and Grand Poobah I am allowed to exercise my right to remove, edit, or write a scathing and sarcastic excorciation about those who fail in their attempts to actually make their post humorous.;)

Pedder Petersen
06-09-2010, 1:08 AM
Oh man, it was the best. I won by $0.50 on ebay. I didn't even wait till the last minute, I just set my highest bid last week and forgot about. If the other guy would have just bid $0.51 more he would have had it. It's a man's game baby. I'm so satisfied...I feel like I just ate a 3 lb ribeye.

I have no interest in woodworking, but I just figured I should buy it just to have it. I have lots of money and buy things that others want. This plane is going to look great in a box along with the straight razors, Swaty stones, the vintage Martin guitars (that I don't play) and the safari cards (that children will never get to enjoy).

No pics? Didn't happen. :)

Jeff Johnson
06-09-2010, 3:16 PM
Could I get your GPS coordinates?

I want to call in an airstrike.

Or maybe send ninjas to loot your collections.

:P

Jeff Johnson
06-09-2010, 3:17 PM
Or both. The rule is "Pilliage, THEN burn", right?

Louis Rucci
06-09-2010, 8:42 PM
OH Boy, I better not mention the Three #2's I have, which includes the scarce lightly longer (1/2") sole.

Hiding verrryy Verryy deeply.

Louis

Could I get your GPS coordinates?

I want to call in an airstrike.

Or maybe send ninjas to loot your collections.

:P

John A. Callaway
06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
He is pretty close to me.... maybe I can go by there and "borrow" it....

Lousy tool collectors:D