PDA

View Full Version : Hinges

Michael Parr
06-08-2010, 12:36 AM
So I have bought a new house and the wife has given me permission to rip out the garage cabinets and build new ones. I am going to use an epoxy to seal the floor (epoxy-coat.com) and use my kreg to make plywood frames and then face frame the front of the cabinet (Can I use plywood to make the face frame?). So after I make solid doors (not trying to be fancy) what kind of hinges should I look for. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I want hinges that will last a long time and be very functional. I will probably have close to 30 doors in the total garage. Can someone point me to a good place to buy some good hinges?

PS If I do a good job in the garage she will let me do more in the laundry room.

David Thompson 27577
06-08-2010, 7:38 AM
If you want to do the laundry cabinets later, then don't use plywood for the face frames in the garage -- they won't look good, and they probably won't hold the hinges very well.

Doug Carpenter
06-08-2010, 7:59 AM
Permission? The garage!:eek: There are no women in the garage! Except on posters or to walk through to get to their cars! Opps I have to type fast my wife is calling.:)

You will want solid wood for face frames. If you build them at all. Save your money on the solid wood doors. I don't know what your climate is like but the garage is apt to see extremes in temerature and humidity. Plywood doors will do just fine. with the money you save you can buy some euro hinges. They are easy to use and best of all adjust in every which way. That will help on the install.

also search this site for the info on using a french cleat system. That will give you some flexibillity.

make your self some good cabinets and lay a claim to that garage!

Joe Chritz
06-08-2010, 9:18 AM
I use Blum compact 33 with a 1/2" overlay face frame mount for my premium hinges.

I use one of a couple different versions of FF hinge from Heitich or Ferrari that I get from Custom Service Hardware for a cheaper option when needed.

So far I haven't had any failures on any of them. The Blums are much more quality in my opinion but are also a couple dollars each more.

Joe

Michael Parr
06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Well Im trying to prevent her from going to Ikea and ordering them (ie Permission).

Thanks for the information. What would be the easiest one to install?

Rob Cunningham
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I like Blum Clip top hinges. They're not overly expensive, are easy to install and adjust. I usually buy them from Woodworkers Hardware.
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm?GroupID=Cabinet%20Hinges&CatID=Cabinet%20Hinges%2C%20Blum%26%23174%3B%20Con cealed

David Thompson 27577
06-08-2010, 3:23 PM
................ What would be the easiest one to install?

Euro style hinges, as others have mentioned, are quite easy to install, and very forgiving. You drill a 32mm (1-3/8") hole in the back side of the door for the "cup" to fit into. Two screws go into the back side of the door to hold it there.

Then there's just one screw that goes into the face frame (or the cabinet side for frameless cabinets).

Blum is one maker of euro hinges -- very well respected. There are others that are probably just as good.

There are many good sources -- I use www.rockler.com (http://www.rockler.com)

(I have no affiliation with Rockler.)