PDA

View Full Version : Another little HF

Ted Evans
06-07-2010, 9:40 PM
Another little spalted maple HF, I think. It is 4" h x 2.25 w, wall thickness about .125-.187. The first photo is with the original finial which I thought was way too large, so I made another. It is somewhat better, I think, but is still too large. It is maple dyed with leather dye. Finish is pre-cat lacquer.

Remember, I am trying to learn so feel free to offer your suggestions.

Richard Madison
06-07-2010, 9:56 PM
Ted, you are definitely getting there by leaps and bounds. Save the new finial for a larger piece and make another with almost exactly the same design and about 65 to 75% scale. It will look good. Our first finials are almost always too big. Mine were huge.

Donny Lawson
06-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Gotta love the spalted wood.
Donny

David E Keller
06-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Nice little form. I agree with your finial assessment. Great job on the form of the finial and the ebonization, but it's just a little too big for the rest of the form. All in all, it's a nice looking piece.

John Keeton
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Ted, I agree with the others, but I will say this - your second finial has very nice lines. The curvature of the onion is well done. It just needs to be smaller in thickness overall, and not quite as tall. Richard is probably right on the scale.

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Ted - looks pretty good! Really like the second finial - great lines! Instead of turning a smaller finial - turn a larger hollow form and put the finial on it!

Looking forward to seeing the next ones! They keep getting better!

alex carey
06-07-2010, 10:57 PM
the 2nd finial works much better, nice job.

James Combs
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I did exactly the same thing on my last HF. The finial seem so small when it was turning.

John Hart
06-08-2010, 6:35 AM
I like 'em both. Looks like a giant ornament. You have nice style to your finials. One of these days, I'll do something decent like that. :)

charlie knighton
06-08-2010, 9:05 AM
very nice....

Thom Sturgill
06-08-2010, 9:43 AM
Nice piece, but I agree with the comments on the finial. Save it for a larger piece and make one about half the size or just a bit larger. My first two or three were horrific. I have several sitting around that *may* one day see the light of day if I have a piece of the right scale.

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2010, 9:48 AM
Really nice piece. The second finial design will look good on it but just a smaller more delicate version. You are on your way Ted. Keep at it and it will all fall into place.

Scott Hackler
06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Heres a tip on finial size I go by. After turning the smallest part of the finial and stepping back to look at it ..... ignore the fact you "think" its thin enough and turn it down some more! My first finials were huge. It takes time and practice to get those very thin and delicate toppers.

Your finial has good shape but it over powers this HF. Save it for a larger form and turn a delicate one to top this nice HF and it will balance out better, IMO.

Ted Evans
06-08-2010, 9:05 PM
A big thanks to everyone for your comments, words of encouragement and especially your suggestions.

Steve, I was thinking of that very thing even though I would like to learn how to make a finial that is balanced with this form, that is the stubbornness in me I guess.

James, boy do I agree with that. It looked tiny on the lathe, and my lathe is not that large.

Thom, perhaps that is what I should do, turn a couple dozen finials, all different sizes, and hope one of them will go with what I turn.

Bernie, I agree, however, there is one little problem, the smallest section of the finial is .110 and I am not sure that I have the confidence in my skills at this point to be successful with a smaller one. Since it is only firewood, I am sure I will try it.

Scott, I did that, you should have seen how big it was before. Perhaps I should do that, say three times.

Joseph M Lary
06-08-2010, 9:34 PM
It looks a little heavy ,but I have never turner a finial ,so Im no real judge.
Im like a bull in a china shop when it comes to the small stuff.
I got Cindy Drozda DVD on Finials, so Ill have to give it a try some day soon.

David DeCristoforo
06-08-2010, 9:38 PM
While I agree with everyone about the finial being too big, I think this would be a much nicer object with a simple "low profile" shape on the lid instead of a "spire". I know those slender finials are hard to do and, therefore, present a challenge, one which I have yet to meet. Nevertheless, I feel that they are overused and, in many cases, distract from an otherwise graceful form. Just MMHO