PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly series

Carl McGaug
06-07-2010, 9:16 PM
Grizzy has started to offer a new "Polar Bear" series of stationary tools.I just ordered a GO513p bandsaw for 698.The GO513 is 825 with identical specs.They claim it's an "Introductory Special!".We'll see.It could be a nice option.

Dan Friedrichs
06-07-2010, 9:51 PM
That's kind of strange...paint it white and charge less money?

Walt Nicholson
06-07-2010, 9:54 PM
They used to do that and call it Shop Fox. Wonder if they still sell those?

Joe Wiliams
06-07-2010, 10:12 PM
And I was all set to buy the Rikon 14" tomorrow....Gotta do some rethinkin':o

Dave MacArthur
06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
There must be more to it than a paint job? But Grizzly isn't one to shy away from new model #s, so I really wonder what the difference is between G0513 and G513p? Their site says it's the same , "First shipments have arrived!This machine is identical to our model G0513 with the exception of the dazzling white color and incredible introductory price."

Maybe that Grizzly green paint is just really costly! LOL. There's got to be a business reason, but it doesn't jump out at me. Hopefully Grizzly will put up some info on their website, or Shiraz will post something here maybe, talking about why the white line and what's different. But for a G0513, $698 is a great deal! There's almost no reason to have any threads about 14" saws at that price! ;)

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 10:24 PM
They used to do that and call it Shop Fox. Wonder if they still sell those?

Shop fox is still alive and there is not a lot of spec for spec overlap with the Grizzly line. They sell them through dealers also, carry a little higher price when specs are balanced and carry a 2 year warranty vs 1 year for Grizzly stuff.

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2010, 10:27 PM
WARNING! This is my guess.

maybe the manufacture messed up and painted it the wrong color.

Any how thats a great deal. Wish I was not unemployed right now.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Polar-Bear-Series/G0513P

John Mark Lane
06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
OK, here's my guess.

Business is slow and they need to move some product. They can live with lower margins in order to accomplish that critical goal. But they don't want to compromise the branding they've spend all these years building up. Nor do they want to re-tool for new machines. Thus...paint 'em a different color, call it something else, and sell 'em cheaper.

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 10:32 PM
That's kind of strange...paint it white and charge less money?

Actually the regular prices are the same, the Polar series just has a introductory price slightly lower than the current price, about $25 bucks less for most, a couple are even a few dollars more than the green version. The one big deal is the G0513P it is $127 less so a 17" bandsaw for $698!!

One other thing of notice is a hybrid TS is now back in the lineup, a 2hp w/riving knife for $758 now, reg price $795 due in September.

Personally, I like the white better than green. Green just looks "old" to me.

Cary Falk
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
15" spiral head planer

GO453z = $1395
G0453PX = $1398(polar)

??????????

Aaron Wingert
06-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Now if they'd just introduce a G0691 3hp table saw polar bear edition...I'd order one right now!

They actually have a pretty good assortment of polar bear tools, all at a good price. But that 17" bandsaw price makes me sick! I have the 19" (green) version and it is a great saw...But I paid twice as much!

Shiraz Balolia
06-07-2010, 11:32 PM
But that 17" bandsaw price makes me sick!

Yes, isn't that disgusting?!!

We are launching a new series of white colored machines and wanted to introduce them at a great price. The whole point is offering customers an opportunity to shop for their favorite machines in a color they would prefer. Similar to appliances, but not that crazy. Anyway, how else to catch people's attention, but with great prices? The G0513P is a killer price, but so are most of the other prices.

george wilson
06-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I'd be grateful for any color change from that GREEN color!!!!!:). And,I've bought a good number of machines from you!! It isn't the green I object to. It's the particular HUE of green. General's green is less offensive. It's more muted. I think the worst green of all is JOHN DEERE green!!!

Shiraz,don't you know that the ONLY color for metal working equipment is GREY???? :)

Joe Wiliams
06-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Here are a few key comparisons between the Grizzly 0513 and the Rikon 10-325:

....................Grizzly 17"...................Rikon 14"
Cost ---------- $772 shipped ------ $700 picked up
Motor----------- 2hp ---------------- 1.5
Resaw----------- 12" ---------------- 13"
Width capacity-- 16 1/4 ----------- 13 5/8
Wheels --------- aluminum -------- cast iron
Table size ------ 17"x17" --------- 16"x21 1/2"
4" Dust ports---- 2 ------------------ 1
Guides --------- Euro ------------ Bearing
Net weight ---- 266# ------------- 251#
Cust. Service --Legendary ----- Heard a few good things

It appears to me the fence on the Rikon may be a little better.

Sure it's a 17" saw but I don't think it is quite as impressive as it first seemed.

Jon Lanier
06-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, we need a Scarlet & Gray scheme... now that would be awesome!

Go Buckeyes!

John Mark Lane
06-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Here are a few key comparisons between the Grizzly 0513 and the Rikon 10-325:

....................Grizzly 17"...................Rikon 14"
Cost ---------- $772 shipped ------ $700 picked up
Motor----------- 2hp ---------------- 1.5
Resaw----------- 12" ---------------- 13"
Width capacity-- 16 1/4 ----------- 13 5/8
Wheels --------- aluminum -------- cast iron
Table size ------ 17"x17" --------- 16"x21 1/2"
4" Dust ports---- 2 ------------------ 1
Guides --------- Euro ------------ Bearing
Net weight ---- 266# ------------- 251#
Cust. Service --Legendary ----- Heard a few good things

It appears to me the fence on the Rikon may be a little better.

Sure it's a 17" saw but I don't think it is quite as impressive as it first seemed.

And how many amps will each one draw at 110? (Sorry, it's sort of a pet peave of mine at the moment...)

Mark

Joe Wiliams
06-08-2010, 12:20 AM
And how many amps will each one draw at 110? (Sorry, it's sort of a pet peave of mine at the moment...)

Mark
Grizzly: 20 Amps
Rikon: 14 amps

John Mark Lane
06-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Grizzly: 20 Amps
Rikon: 14 amps

Right...um...maybe. If you look at the spec sheet (as opposed to the main page) for the Grizzly, you will see that it is recommended for a 30 amp line at 110.

Joe Wiliams
06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Right...um...maybe. If you look at the spec sheet (as opposed to the main page) for the Grizzly, you will see that it is recommended for a 30 amp line at 110.
If you already knew then why did you ask?

Victor Robinson
06-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Shiraz, this is pure evil. I am seriously considering upgrading my G0555 about 5 years before I planned to.

John Mark Lane
06-08-2010, 12:33 AM
If you already knew then why did you ask?

Two reasons.

1. Because I honestly don't know. Do you? Which is it, 20 or 30?

2. Because if we are going to compare the specs of the two saws, I think this is an important factor.

I realize there may be a difference between amp rating for a motor and the recommended circuit size. But since there doesn't seem to be any standard as to how to deal with that difference, and manufactures are giving us an amp rating for their tools...how do you compare.

Also,

3. Because Mr. Balolia may (i) be able to shed some light of the question and (ii) take note of the fact that some of us would like a steel bandsaw but may be limited to 110 at 20 amps (a very common thing).

Mark

Joe Wiliams
06-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Two reasons.

1. Because I honestly don't know. Do you? Which is it, 20 or 30?

2. Because if we are going to compare the specs of the two saws, I think this is an important factor.

I realize there may be a difference between amp rating for a motor and the recommended circuit size. But since there doesn't seem to be any standard as to how to deal with that difference, and manufactures are giving us an amp rating for their tools...how do you compare.

Also,

3. Because Mr. Balolia may (i) be able to shed some light of the question and (ii) take note of the fact that some of us would like a steel bandsaw but may be limited to 110 at 20 amps (a very common thing).

Mark
I was just going by advertised specs in both of Grizzly's catalogs and the main page, of 'features' I felt were important in my shopping. I'm not too concerned with amp rating since I can easily go 30A right now or more with a little bit of wiring.

I was actually more interested in the wheel material and the 3" size difference is really only 2 3/8" (if my math is correct:p)

It would be nice if this was cleared up:)

This recent development made me rethink what I wanted but I' still leaning to the Rikon. If I wanted a bigger saw I'd think about going 19"...:D

Mr. Jeff Smith
06-08-2010, 2:20 AM
I love the Grizzly green personally. For those of you without a BS or want to upgrade this is a wonderful deal.

Gary Click
06-08-2010, 2:21 AM

I think that facts are being confused.

The Maximun Current Draw of the motor is 20A. The reccomended circuit size is 30A. Read this as #10 wire, a 30A Panel Breaker and a 30A recepticle.

2HP is a big motor for 110VAC. Consider 220VAC if you can. Then the Maximum Current draw of the motor is 10A. The reccomended circuit size is 15A. Read this as #14 or preferrably #12 wire, a 15A two pole breaker and a 15A recepticle.

gary

Van Huskey
06-08-2010, 2:44 AM

Here is my take, yes the 513 is probably one if not the least impressive 16-18" BS that is widely available currently BUT find another even 16" saw (Griz is the "odd" duck in sizing) for under $700... I like the Rikon 14 Deluxe but the 513 is more saw and over time if you spend some money upgrading, it can be a really good saw. Plus, for MOST people the price difference, since a lot more people will have to pay sales tax on a Rikon, isn't that much. If the Griz was a few bucks more than a Laguna 14" saw then there would be an entirely different discussion, but I think the 513P is a no brainer compared to the Rikon for basically the same money.

I find it cool they kept the secret so well, which I suppose is easier with no dealer network, my little birdies usually are spilling the beans at least a few weeks early like the SS 1 3/4hp PCS. The other thing is Grizzly did fundamentally the opposite of what I was thinking of suggesting they do a while back, namely change the color of their high end stuff like the 636X, 701, 9860, 9953 etc to a different color scheme kinda like a Lexus/Toyota approach but they sorta went more in the Scion/Toyota marketing approach though outside the Hybrid TS it is more a badge engineering approach. I do put stock in the color change alone as I like George hate the green tools, to the point that if I bought a General tool I would paint it pink before I left it green. I personally prefer the white and plane to buy 5 new Grizzly machines as soon as I get my new shop built and would get them in white in a heart beat, though none of the ones I plan to buy are Polar Bears...yet? I should also say if they are still on sale when I get the rest of my money lined up for the shop I will order a 513P and use it for curve work instead of getting a 14" Delta clone like I had planned.

I haven't been this excited about machine colors since PM went from gold to mustard... :D not sure I'm o stocked about the polar bear logo on the machines though. :confused:

Joe Wiliams
06-08-2010, 3:17 AM
Van Husky, What is your opinion of the aluminum wheels on the grizzly?

Matt Meiser
06-08-2010, 7:11 AM
I think the worst green of all is JOHN DEERE green!!!

Them's fightin' words! :D

Will Overton
06-08-2010, 7:35 AM
I wonder, even being the same machines, if they are being produced by the same manufacturer.

Not that it would make a difference to me. Since Grizzly moved their quality control function to Asia, I believe in the mid to late 90's, they have been turning out increasingly higher quality products.

Curt Harms
06-08-2010, 7:37 AM
Them's fightin' words! :D

Hard to deny it's some spendy paint though. ;)

Jeff Willard
06-08-2010, 8:04 AM
I have heard that the polar bear, unlike the grizzly, actually looks at humans as food:eek:.

Doug Carpenter
06-08-2010, 8:12 AM
Actually the polar bear series blow out cold air. It stops global warming and saves a polar bear with each use.

Thisfall they aree coming out with the sea blue dolphin series. availible in the gulf states.......

Chuck Saunders
06-08-2010, 8:59 AM
This fall they aree coming out with the sea blue dolphin series. availible in the gulf states.......

Yeah, but I hear they leak oil a bit.

Rod Sheridan
06-08-2010, 9:33 AM

My thought exactly, since I noticed that Grizzly sell the same size saw with aluminum wheels or cast iron wheels.

Why would someone want aluminum over cast iron?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I like the white colour.

Harold Burrell
06-08-2010, 9:38 AM

We are launching a new series of white colored machines and wanted to introduce them at a great price. The whole point is offering customers an opportunity to shop for their favorite machines in a color they would prefer. Similar to appliances, but not that crazy. Anyway, how else to catch people's attention, but with great prices? The G0513P is a killer price, but so are most of the other prices.

I think it is oh so very cool how Grizzly does business. I love surprises! It seems sometimes as if I need to check their website daily so as not to miss anything.

Now...if I can only get my wife as excited about them as I...

Anyway...Shiraz, I have a proposition for you (ol' buddy, ol' pal). Cut me a deal on an introductory "G0514x2p"...and I will paint it white myself...and will continue to sing your praises until the day I die.

:D

(Sorry for the blantant and shameless begging, but I have been saving up for that saw since last year and it is taking me FOREVER. :o)

Shiraz Balolia
06-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Anyway...Shiraz, I have a proposition for you (ol' buddy, ol' pal). Cut me a deal on an introductory "G0514x2p"...and I will paint it white myself...and will continue to sing your praises until the day I die.

You know that bribing is illegal, don't you? Stuff like that is never done on an open forum like this :)

Jim O'Dell
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
You know that bribing is illegal, don't you? Stuff like that is never done on an open forum like this :)

And here I thought that was only with government officials!!:D:D:D
I like the new look...keeps with the color scheme of my 691!. Jim.

Shiraz Balolia
06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
P.S. I like the white colour.

"Mikey likes it!" (old cereal commercial for guys that don't know what that means).

In society we have people from all walks of life that have different financial means. That's why we have the WalMarts and the Macy's and the Nieman Marcus. Different levels of spending power. Cast iron wheels cost more money and increase the selling price. There are people that can afford a $500 machine, but cannot spring for a $600.00 machine. In the end, we pride ourselves for offering the largest selection of woodworking and metalworking machines under one brand, just so that we can try to serve the wide range of customers' needs out there.

As a matter of clarification for everyone out there - this new series of machines is the Polar Bear series, and they remain a part of Grizzly. In other words, you will find both a Polar Bear label as well as a Grizzly nameplate on these machines.

Rod Sheridan
06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Well, we need a Scarlet & Gray scheme... now that would be awesome!

Go Buckeyes!

Jon, you're right, I do like that colour scheme.:D

regards, Rod.

Derek Gilmer
06-08-2010, 10:29 AM
As a matter of clarification for everyone out there - this new series of machines is the Polar Bear series, and they remain a part of Grizzly. In other words, you will find both a Polar Bear label as well as a Grizzly nameplate on these machines.

Wouldn't that make these the Grolar Bear series then? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly%E2%80%93polar_bear_hybrid

Either way I hope some of them are at the Springfield store this weekend when I visit for the tent sale. It will be nice to take a look at them.

Aaron Wingert
06-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Similar to appliances, but not that crazy. Anyway, how else to catch people's attention, but with great prices?

I think it is a great idea! I do like the white, even at the same price as the green. Just don't start offering them in stainless steel....I'll inevitably want it, and my wife will inevitably remind me that I have thus far denied her the stainless steel gas range that she wants.

Harold Burrell
06-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Wait...I wasn't "bribing". I was begging.

But you are right. Stuff like this is not meant for the open forum. I do humbly apologize, kind sir.

(However...if you do so choose to PM me and bestow any such merciful kindnesses upon my unworthy self I will in return privately offer myself in silent servitude for the rest of my oh so humble life...) ;)

scott vroom
06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
The $698 sale price has caught my attention. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on G0513X2 which is also on sale at $895. $200 sounds like a lot, but spread out over the life of a saw it isn't much. The G0513X2 has a larger table, cast iron wheels, ball bearing guides...to me it sounds like a more robust saw. Decisions, decisions.....

Gregory Stahl
06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Joe,

I would take the 513 over the Rikon anyday. I had a 513 that I pushed hard with a 1" Laguna RK blade. The only thing to give on the saw was the tires, and they are cheap and easy to replace--even ordered extras! I had the Craftsman 14" saw that is of similiar manufacture to the Rikon you are looking at. The Grizzly, even with aluminum wheels, beat it hands down.

I upgraded my BS to a MM24 for resawing and I also have a Grizzly G0514x2. I liked my 513 better than the 514x2. I am going to order the euro guides for the 514x2, and I think I will then be just as happy with it!

The 513 doesn't get all the glamour of the Euro saws, but it was a great workhorse in my shop. I'm trying to get my school district to order a bunch of them to replace their delta 14" saws that are very troublesome.

I actually miss my 513--feel like part of the family is missing.

Greg Stahl

Van Huskey
06-08-2010, 12:41 PM

First, I agree with conventional wisdom and would prefer cast wheels BUT as long wheels made from cast or aluminum are concentric, true and well balanced I would submit you would never know the difference in my hobby sized saws without opening the door. The extra mass would help when encountering a knot in the wood for instance but the flywheel effect will be so small and short lived it isn't really worth much, now when you are talking about something like a 36" Tannewitz the extra mass in those wheels has a lot of stored energy and might actually be useful. When comparing the 513P to other saws in the price range I would rather have the 2hp motor than cast ron wheels.

Next, lets not forget the price point we are looking at... $700! The 513P is just a lot of saw for the money. The Rikon is a great deal right now at the same price (give or take a little depending on shipping and tax) but despite the fact that the 513P isn't exactly feature rich I personally think it is a better buy. Sure the 513X2 is more saw but it is $300 more money some people have a budget. This is just an excellent saw for someone who was looking at a budget 14" saw but now can get a 17" saw. I also think this is a perfect second saw for people with larger BS they use for resawing. There are a lot of people here who put a lot of money into a Laguna, MM or Aggazani and still want a smaller saw for curve work, this usually ends up being a 14" saw now for a few more dollars they can have a 17" throat for their curves.

What it all boils down to is that if your budget is bigger than $700 there are more compelling options both in and out of the Grizzly line but currently for general woodworking there isn't a new $700 bandsaw out there I would rather have. When the price difference between the 513 and 513X returns to $150 instead of $300 I will be back to my usual push the budget because of all you get for the money but with the price now in mid-range 14" Delta clone territory I real bullish on the 513P.

Van Huskey
06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
The $698 sale price has caught my attention. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on G0513X2 which is also on sale at $895. $200 sounds like a lot, but spread out over the life of a saw it isn't much. The G0513X2 has a larger table, cast iron wheels, ball bearing guides...to me it sounds like a more robust saw. Decisions, decisions.....

It sounds like and is a more robust saw and the list of upgrades is even longer than you list. I wouldn't suggest anyone with a bigger budget get the 513P but if $700 is ones budget limit I say jump NOW.

I like and use the cost spread over the life of tool "argument" all the time and the difference here is 10-15 bucks a year. But, you have to be careful with that because for about $100 a year more you could be takling about a Laguna LT16 or for $50 more a year a G0636X...

Cary Falk
06-08-2010, 1:37 PM
I will go against the grain and say I like the Grizzly color scheme better than the Polar Bear. My final 2 pieces I hope to purchase this summer will be Grizzly Green.

scott vroom
06-08-2010, 1:41 PM
+1 on green vs white

Rod Sheridan
06-08-2010, 2:10 PM
[QUOTE=Shiraz Balolia;1441136]"Mikey likes it!" (old cereal commercial for guys that don't know what that means).

QUOTE]

Shiraz, that made me chuckle.

Thanks for the info on the price differential, I wasn't thinking about that when I saw that you had a choice of aluminum versus cast iron wheels, and was wondering why someone would pick aluminum.

Regards, Rod.

Shiraz Balolia
06-08-2010, 2:26 PM
Shiraz, that made me chuckle.

Thanks for the info on the price differential, I wasn't thinking about that when I saw that you had a choice of aluminum versus cast iron wheels, and was wondering why someone would pick aluminum.

Regards, Rod.

Rod - I was laughing as I was writing it.

Here's that classic commercial from way back when:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc

Matt Meiser
06-08-2010, 2:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc

Surfing YouTube videos at work is going to get you in trouble if the boss finds out. Oh wait...

Joe Wiliams
06-08-2010, 3:05 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys:) But i'm still undecided....:o

Grizzly has the bigger motor & two dust ports but aluminum wheels...

The Rikon plus 3-4 new blades for the same price....

Amortize the price difference over a number of years, becomes negligible...

Sure wish I could try them both out for a few weeks:rolleyes:

Dave Lehnert
06-08-2010, 5:27 PM

Anyway, how else to catch people's attention, but with great prices?

Catch peoples attention, Thats funny Shiraz. Like you think us Sawmill guys will draw attention to this with over 4 pages of posts;)

Shiraz is right about pricing. Just a few $$$ can make or break a deal for some customers. I have been involved in retail for a long time. Dollar stores are so successful because they offer an item at a low price. Not so much a great deal. The dollar store may have potting soil for $1 a bag but only 5lbs. You can get a 40lbs bag at Lowes for $1.99. But if you are a single mother of 4 kids that extra $.99 is a big help to her budget.

Carl McGaug
06-08-2010, 8:32 PM
I was agonizing over spending the extra cash for the GO513x2 over the GO555.This price made my decision.No cast wheels,and keep the change.I was looking to upgrade from a Sears 12", but it died last week.This is one time I'm glad I waffled for one more day.;)

Jon Lanier
06-08-2010, 9:40 PM
Jon, you're right, I do like that colour scheme.:D

regards, Rod.

I got a catalog of the hammer's.... those do seem impressive. Here I looking a new tools and I can't afford anything. I still need to purchase a lawn mower. :(

Myk Rian
06-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I noticed that since Grizzly unveiled this new BS, Harbor Freight no longer lists their 17", which is a kissing cousin of the Grizzly. I wonder if there is any significance to that.

Joe Wiliams
06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I noticed that since Grizzly unveiled this new BS, Harbor Freight no longer lists their 17", which is a kissing cousin of the Grizzly. I wonder if there is any significance to that.
I was thinking along that line too.

Pure speculation here.... wonder if the factory had a bunch of white parts left over that Grizzly picked up for a good price:rolleyes:

Will Overton
06-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I was thinking along that line too.

Pure speculation here.... wonder if the factory had a bunch of white parts left over that Grizzly picked up for a good price:rolleyes:

This one? It may still be available in some stores.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=3179&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

They're both pretty :)

george wilson
06-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I have never figured out WHY some machine tools like metal lathes and milling machines get painted WHITE. It is just impossible to keep them decent looking unless you have daily maid service.

At least sawdust will vacuum off of white paint,but cutting oil won't.

Will Overton
06-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I have never figured out WHY some machine tools like metal lathes and milling machines get painted WHITE. It is just impossible to keep them decent looking unless you have daily maid service.

You don't have daily made service? :eek:

george wilson
06-08-2010, 11:27 PM
My wife only makes supper,and still complains about it!! And,I always cook the meat myself!!!:)

Steve Bracken
06-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I have spent weeks trying to find a decent Bandsaw at an affordable price.

I came very close to ordering the 513X2 last week, but finally launched a Debit Card at the Polar Bear :)

Now ... How soon will it get here? I have some 8/4 Walnut waiting.

Chuck Saunders
06-09-2010, 8:47 AM

I am surprised to hear you say that George, you seem to be as meticulous as the machinist I learned from and I do believe that he could keep a white machine white (maybe a little yellow from the oil staining). I swear he could tell if I had merely walked through his shop.

george wilson
06-09-2010, 9:45 AM
I might could have when I was younger,but now it is hard to bend down and clean every little crevice. Besides that,the white paint I have run into absorbs brown cutting oil easily,then it won't wipe off at all.

I at least try to keep my work meticulous.:)

Maybe they could use baked on porcelain??????

Gary Click
06-09-2010, 1:39 PM
Got tracking notification that the Polar Saw will be delivered today. I am at LAX heading home for BHM. It should arrive before I do.

gary

Van Huskey
06-09-2010, 2:01 PM
Got tracking notification that the Polar Saw will be delivered today. I am at LAX heading home for BHM. It should arrive before I do.

gary

Congrats! I had planned to use a 14" cast clone for a second BS in my new shop but for the price I think I will get the 513P, so as not to touch my shop fund I am selling off stuff in the classifieds to get it, since I have no idea how long the price will last!

Shiraz Balolia
06-09-2010, 2:08 PM
I might could have when I was younger,but now it is hard to bend down and clean every little crevice. Besides that,the white paint I have run into absorbs brown cutting oil easily,then it won't wipe off at all.

I at least try to keep my work meticulous.:)

Maybe they could use baked on porcelain??????

Most of the machines in the Polar Bear series have powder coated paint which is baked on and resists abrasion/scratching as well as foreign oils and chemicals. The white looks superb and the pictures do not do them justice.

Thom Porterfield
06-09-2010, 2:45 PM
Just to weigh in on the color debate . . .

The Rikon 10-325 is both green AND white.

Van Huskey
06-09-2010, 2:49 PM
Just to weigh in on the color debate . . .

The Rikon 10-325 is both green AND white.

The Polar Bear is too, just a matter of proportion of said colors.

Mr. Jeff Smith
06-09-2010, 4:03 PM
Most of the machines in the Polar Bear series have powder coated paint which is baked on and resists abrasion/scratching as well as foreign oils and chemicals. The white looks superb and the pictures do not do them justice.

Any chance of a Polar Bear series for the long fabled "woodworkers" drill press you guys reportedly have coming?

Steve Bracken
06-09-2010, 6:04 PM
I ordered mine yesterday evening ..... Just before I posted.

Freight company just called. It will be here before lunch tomorrow, and they have a liftgate on the truck, so no pickup.

I could get used to this kind of service :)

Shiraz Balolia
06-09-2010, 7:26 PM
Any chance of a Polar Bear series for the long fabled "woodworkers" drill press you guys reportedly have coming?

No, unfortunately not.

Carl McGaug
06-09-2010, 7:51 PM
I call a local HF about the 17" 3 days ago.They said it was discontinued.

Joe Wiliams
06-09-2010, 8:37 PM
After months of researching various band saws of various sizes from various manufacturers, slowly narrowing the field, along with watching Craigslist, I had finally decided last week the Rikon 10-325 was the saw for me. Even contacted ToolNut about purchasing but they do not carry Rikon products. So the plan was to call Woodcraft but I got sick and didn't feel like doing much so I put it off for a few days. Then another day and another day....

Tuesday was going to be the day... Then, Monday evening, Carl McGaug makes this post about the new Grizzly Polar Bear line. So, like many others I take a look and peruse the offerings and see the 17" 513 saw at a decent price. This saw dropped off my radar early on in my search.

Reviewed the specs again, did some comparing to the Rikon and saw a lot of similarities as well as few noticeable differences. Put off the Tuesday Rikon purchase to do some more thinking..... A couple days later and about an hour and a half ago my Visa card has $772 of Polar Bear on it:D

Carl McGaug
06-09-2010, 8:53 PM
UPS called.It's coming tomorrow:D.I'll try to make a "first impressions" post tomorrow.

Gary Click
06-09-2010, 9:59 PM

gary

I did order the cast iron trunnion also.

Simon Dupay
06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
First, I agree with conventional wisdom and would prefer cast wheels BUT as long wheels made from cast or aluminum are concentric, true and well balanced I would submit you would never know the difference in my hobby sized saws without opening the door. The extra mass would help when encountering a knot in the wood for instance but the flywheel effect will be so small and short lived it isn't really worth much, now when you are talking about something like a 36" Tannewitz the extra mass in those wheels has a lot of stored energy and might actually be useful. When comparing the 513P to other saws in the price range I would rather have the 2hp motor than cast iron wheels.

I don't get why people like CI wheels, all that extra mass takes more power from the motor to spin the wheel decreasing the saw's cutting power. If you look at high-end saws like Northfield or Tannewitz, they don't use CI, they use Al or steel disks for wheels.

Mr. Jeff Smith
06-10-2010, 9:14 AM
No, unfortunately not.

Thanks. Any word on when we might expect said green fabled drill press? :P

Van Huskey
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't get why people like CI wheels, all that extra mass takes more power from the motor to spin the wheel decreasing the saw's cutting power. If you look at high-end saws like Northfield or Tannewitz, they don't use CI, they use Al or steel disks for wheels.

You are correct big production BS use mostly steel and some Al wheels and there are advantages. The lower weight of those wheels help the saws come up to speed quickly which can save the cost of the saw several times over in labor in a production environment considering a Tanny GHE might well last 40 years or more. As hobbyists and non-production shop users we do not have the high quality Al or the steel option for new bandsaws, we have CI and Al. The Al saws tend to be the budget saws and therefore logic would dictate the Al wheels have not had the level of manufacturing tolerences and/or QC that the saws with cast wheels have. So the conventional wisdom says get CI wheels and it is often based on the questionable logic surrounding momentum when although CI wheels are usually favorable on most of the new equipment we buy it is due to the fact they are generally higher quality and not the added momentum for "cutting knots" which on the size saws we buy is pretty much a non-issue. To demonstrate this get a piece of 6" tall hardwood, bring the saw up to speed cut it off and immediately start cutting the wood and see how much wood the "momentum" cuts, there just isn't that much stored energy when compared to the energy provided by the motor. I would also submit that on hobby sized saws the amount of energy that it takes to keep the heavier cast wheels running is negligible compared to the overall power of the motor, that pretty much extends to production sized saws as well.

In the end if you had two otherwise identical bandsaws one with Al wheels and one with CI wheels and all the wheels were concentric, true and balanced to the same tolerences I highly doubt ANYONE could tell the difference in the two saws in use, assuming they didn't get to compare the run down times they would only know if they opened the doors.

george wilson
06-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I trued up a welded up aluminum Crescent bandsaw wheel that had been broken and welded up. This guy who I was buying wood for had it. Crescent was one of he old time heavy duty machine manufacturers. It was a 24" wheel. I barely got it into my lathe's gap bed.

Tim Reagan
06-10-2010, 5:25 PM
just placed order through ebay, and got $55 cashback through bing. just emailed them and they got back to me quick. shipping went up $20 from yesterday. Shipping same day!

Carl McGaug
06-10-2010, 9:01 PM
It came today.Terrible crate.I got it uncrated but didn't have time to do much else.

Gary Click
06-11-2010, 1:57 AM
Got mine today, moved it into the shop and open air crate. CI Trunnion arrives tomorrow and will assemble then.

I was surprised at the color, Polar White suggests a bright stark white to me like snow. The white on mine is actually a very light cream or buff color.

gary

Steve Bracken
06-11-2010, 2:16 AM
Got mine today, moved it into the shop and open air crate. CI Trunnion arrives tomorrow and will assemble then.

I was surprised at the color, Polar White suggests a bright stark white to me like snow. The white on mine is actually a very light cream or buff color.

gary

Got mine too, and the freight driver was kind enough to unload it and wheel it right into the shop.

Had to think a bit about how to safely get it off the pallet once it was uncrated. By the way, the Taiwanese sure know how to drive in a nail :)

Just needs a plug now, and a few minor adjustments. Those Euro blade guides look decently beefy.

Yeah, and I love the colour :)

Ray McCullie
06-11-2010, 4:38 AM
Don't take this the wrong way but, the Grizzly green reminds me of HF's stuff.

Will Overton
06-11-2010, 6:48 AM
Don't take this the wrong way but, the Grizzly green reminds me of HF's stuff.

Maybe you are the reason they now offer white. :)

Andrew Joiner
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Is the white the same color as the Shop Fox machines Grizzly sells?

Could it be that Grizzly is blending the brands?

Josiah Bartlett
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM

gary

Polar bears are cream colored. Except for the blood and oil stains.

Mr. Jeff Smith
06-11-2010, 1:13 PM
Polar bears are cream colored. Except for the blood and oil stains.

Poor attempt at a joke IMO, but regardless cream colored is technically incorrect.

Polar bears hair is actually transparent, but appear white because the hair doesn't absorb any light thus all light is reflected into our eyes (appearing white).

Mac McQuinn
06-11-2010, 2:13 PM
Not trying to deflate anyone's sails here and a savings is a savings although if I'm not mistaken the "Cool Green" 513 was on sale just before Christmas for $715 + $89 shipping for a total of $804. The P series 513 is $698 + $94 for a total of $792. This is a savings of.....$12.00:rolleyes: Maybe I'm missing something here:confused:

Mac

Joe Wiliams
06-11-2010, 4:43 PM
Not trying to deflate anyone's sails here and a savings is a savings although if I'm not mistaken the "Cool Green" 513 was on sale just before Christmas for $715 + $89 shipping for a total of $804. The P series 513 is $698 + $94 for a total of $792. This is a savings of.....$12.00:rolleyes: Maybe I'm missing something here:confused:

Mac
I believe Grizzy began new pricing January 1, 2010.

Current 'regular' price for the green 513 is $850+$94=$944
Current 'sale' price for the green 513 is $825+$95=$919

Comparing to old pricing usually leads to disappointment. :(
$12.00 less is better than $12.00 more;)

Anyway.... just heard from FedEx....

Delivery set for Monday, between 10am-5pm:)

Mac McQuinn
06-11-2010, 9:46 PM
I believe Grizzy began new pricing January 1, 2010.

I fully understand about the new pricing...

Current 'regular' price for the green 513 is $850+$94=$944
Current 'sale' price for the green 513 is $825+$95=$919

Yes the Polar bear pricing is a great savings over present pricing

Comparing to old pricing usually leads to disappointment. :(
$12.00 less is better than $12.00 more;)

Old Price yes, although it's only 6 months old, not 6 years....;)

Anyway.... just heard from FedEx....

Delivery set for Monday, between 10am-5pm:)

Enjoy your saw!

Mac

Ruhi Arslan
08-20-2010, 3:25 PM
What is the verdict on the Polar BS after using it for few months by now? Has the color faded away?:D

Seriously, any regrets, compliments, cons, pros...? Thanks.

Tim Reagan
08-20-2010, 5:30 PM
Used it a couple of times, and is a dream coming from a 9" bs. The aluminum fence was not square, but grizzly sent a new one I have yet to put on.