PDA

View Full Version : Part of last weeks turning.

Jack Mincey
06-07-2010, 9:13 PM
This took a bit of my time last week getting these ready to send out. There are 24 crow calls in all with a cocobolo body and a hand made insert made of red cedar.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/Afewofthecallsthathelpedbuythetools.jpg

Roland Martin
06-07-2010, 9:16 PM
Those are nice calls Jack. What kind of finish? Looks great.

David E Keller
06-07-2010, 9:17 PM
Nicely done... Beautiful calls.

John Keeton
06-07-2010, 9:25 PM
Jack, you cranked into production mode!! Really a nice looking batch of calls, and great job of replication on the shape. Gotta love the coco!

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Jack - that is some seriously nice work! Great wood colors! Should be big sellers!

Michelle Rich
06-08-2010, 6:21 AM
very lovely calls & the wood is super. I have a stupid question..why would one wish to call crows? Seems to me they are everywhere & one can't eat them, so why call them? (I hunt, so this is not an anti-hunting question) In your neck of the woods, do people call them just to shoot them & not eat them? Stupid question, I'm sure, but I just can't get my brain around calling crows, THANKS

John Hart
06-08-2010, 6:31 AM
very lovely calls & the wood is super. I have a stupid question..why would one wish to call crows? Seems to me they are everywhere & one can't eat them, so why call them? (I hunt, so this is not an anti-hunting question) In your neck of the woods, do people call them just to shoot them & not eat them? Stupid question, I'm sure, but I just can't get my brain around calling crows, THANKS

Yeah....I second that!! If I got a crow call...I'd drive a couple miles to the neighbors house and use it.!!:D

John Keeton
06-08-2010, 6:48 AM
I will let Jack answer as to who buys his calls, but in my neck of the woods, a crow call is most often used as a "shock" call when turkey hunting. A tom turkey will often shock gobble in response to nearly any loud noise, sometimes even slamming a truck door! A crow call is a common sound in the woods, and can help locate a gobbler without yelling out that there is a hunter in the woods.

There are many "locator" calls, including crow, peacock, owl, etc. Some hunters will also use a gobble call, which works very well, but not usually considered a safe option. Being fully camouflaged and making a gobble sound in the woods with other hunters present, is probably not the smartest move one could make!:eek:

And, there are those that like to shoot crows - not for food, but for sport.

Jack Mincey
06-08-2010, 6:50 AM
Thanks everyone, Roland they are finished with a coat of maylands friction polish and a coat of HUT wax that is used on pens and then buffed. To try and answer the other question, Crow calls are used to locate turkey's when hunting them as well as to hunt crows. One can blow the call and it will cause a gobbler to gobble giving away his location. As far as hunting crows there are farmers in diffferent area's that want them thinned down a bit to help protect there crops. There are a few brave souls out there that eat crows, but I would have to be mighty hungry to even think of eating one.
Thanks again,
Jack

Michelle Rich
06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
thanks for the info on crow calls..I did not know they were used in turkey hunting. I live too far north to have turkeys, so I lacked education in that area. Appreciate your answer..

John Hart
06-08-2010, 11:33 AM
thanks for the info on crow calls..I did not know they were used in turkey hunting. I live too far north to have turkeys, so I lacked education in that area. Appreciate your answer..

I don't get to claim "lack of education" since I have turkeys, crows, pheasants, Guinnea Hens, Grouse, Turtles, muskrats, snakes, beavers, rabbits, deer, and various other unidentifiable creatures crossing my yard every day.

Not to mention all the hunters around here...

You'd think I'd know...just from osmosis!!! :o

It is times like this....where I attain verification that I truly am stupid. :)