PDA

View Full Version : Tool Handle Weight

Pete Jordan
06-07-2010, 9:10 PM
I am making some metal tool handles and was wondering what would be the best low cost option to fill the handle with?

Thanks,

Pete

Ryan Baker
06-07-2010, 9:16 PM
I use BBs. Copperheads are best for adding weight. The plastic ones are great if you are looking for extra filler without adding much more weight. I add the copperheads until I have the balance I want, then fill the rest with the plastic ones to keep the mass from rolling around inside the handle.

Richard Madison
06-07-2010, 9:50 PM
My steel pipe handles are full of air, which is cheap and light weight. Seriously, might try that first to get a feel for the balance and about how much weight to add if any.

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Pete - I have BBs in one and #6 lead shot in the other. I like the heft the additional weight adds and it actually does help absorb vibration when roughing out!

Reed Gray
06-08-2010, 1:00 AM
I have 2 of the Glaser gouges, with the lead filled handles, and don't really like them because of the extra weight. I prefer a straight wood handle. Longer gives you better leverage, and keeping the tool rest close makes for good shock absorption. Saw some one once who used aluminum tubing. Very light.

robo hippy

Jeff Willard
06-08-2010, 8:59 AM
Lead shot will provide the greatest density. If you have a good seal, you might find that sand is dense enough.

Allen Neighbors
06-08-2010, 2:39 PM
I have BBs in some, lead shot in others... depends on the situation, which one I use. I have a couple of long wooden handles, but the metal pipe handles with BBs are much better at absorbing shock... I think...

Leo Van Der Loo
06-09-2010, 1:15 AM
I made a few just for roughing, used 1" HRS, drilled a hole right through and opened one end for the largest tool size, then later added the reinforced pressure hose, as the bare steel didn't feel so good.
I never did add any weight, but could have if it was needed, the heft of the steel does work well in reducing the tool bounce/vibration when roughing big and rough pieces.
Pretty hard to go for less cost than a piece of HRS that I picked up for free, and the left-over pieces of water pressure hose :).

Pete Jordan
06-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the help!

I was trying aluminum handles and switched to steel and they seem heavy enough for now.
Leo,
What the heck are you makin?

Jim Underwood
06-09-2010, 1:51 PM
Thanks for the help!

I was trying aluminum handles and switched to steel and they seem heavy enough for now.
Leo,
What the heck are you makin?

Must be a candy dish... :D

Leo Van Der Loo
06-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Must be a candy dish... :D

Nah the candies would fall out :eek: