PDA

View Full Version : Yankee drill help

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2010, 8:50 PM
I am going to be taking a trip soon that will take me to many old shops and flea markets. I would like to find a good Yankee type push drill this trip. Not sure what to look for in one or a model number to look out for or to pass up. What would a good price range?

Also like to find a good bit brace. What would be considered a good model?

Stew Hagerty
06-07-2010, 8:58 PM
Speaking of Yankee's This past weekend I was cleaning out some old boxes and found my old Yankee Screwdriver. Man this puppy got lots of use back in the good old days (the 70's that is). For you youngsters reading this. No, cordless drills did not always exist. Unfortunately, I didn't find any bits for it so now I need to look online and see if I can find some.

Gary Herrmann
06-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Model 41 North Bros is a very good pushdrill and is common. I think the 41Y was after Stanley took over. My personal fave is the Miller Falls 185. Bits store in the handle and it has sizing holes for each bit. This model uses yankee bits unlike some of the other MF models.

For yankee braces, the 2100 is considered the best. 2101s are also highly thought of. I've also got a Stanley 923 that I like.

Don't worry if the pushdrill doesn't come with bits. You can find those on the bay.

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Model 41 is a very good pushdrill and is common. I think the 41Y was after Stanley took over. For braces, the 2100 is considered the best. 2101s are also highly thought of.

Don't worry if the pushdrill doesn't come with bits. You can find those on the bay.

Does Lee Valley or the like make replacement bits?

Andrew Gibson
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Does Lee Valley or the like make replacement bits?

Like this?
http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=69P01.01&bhcd2=1275964899

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Like this?
http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=69P01.01&bhcd2=1275964899

Thanks, Looks interesting.

Russell Sansom
06-08-2010, 3:27 AM
Dave,
I've bought a couple on E-bay for around $22 ( for new or almost new ). The bit sets on EBAY always seemed to be in the same $15-$30 range. So, the trick is to find a drill with a new set of bits at a decent price. Cuts the total almost in half. I probably put in $25 of my personal time fishing to save $20...but I just couldn't see forking out $40 or $50 total.

rick carpenter
06-08-2010, 1:25 PM
Dave,
I've bought a couple on E-bay for around $22 ( for new or almost new ). The bit sets on EBAY always seemed to be in the same $15-$30 range. So, the trick is to find a drill with a new set of bits at a decent price. Cuts the total almost in half. I probably put in $25 of my personal time fishing to save $20...but I just couldn't see forking out $40 or $50 total.

I don't know what the guts are like on these, but I wonder if someone clever and handy could weld on a 1/4 inch "chuck" from an impact tool?

Bill Houghton
06-08-2010, 4:30 PM
I am going to be taking a trip soon that will take me to many old shops and flea markets. I would like to find a good Yankee type push drill this trip. Not sure what to look for in one or a model number to look out for or to pass up. What would a good price range?

Also like to find a good bit brace. What would be considered a good model?

Push drills came with two - that I know of - shank patterns. The Yankee (North Bros. originally before Stanley bought them after WWII) pattern, with a round shank with a notch in the end for the driving force and a little rounded slot partway up for the retainer, is the most easily found. The other pattern, with four slots milled (so that the end view of the shank is cruciform), is far less common. Go for a North Bros. or Stanley Yankee; almost any of them, in good shape. I personally like to find them with all the bits, but you may have to dig around some to accomplish that.

A good brace? There are dozens, even hundreds, of models out there, by different makers. Some are slightly better than others, but 90% of the models, in good shape, will do fine by you. Look for: a 10" or 12" swing - distance from the centerline of the chuck to the centerline of the crank handle is half that - and good sharp jaws.

Bill Houghton
06-08-2010, 4:31 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't find any bits for it so now I need to look online and see if I can find some.

Lee Valley has bits. The retainer slot is in a slightly different place, but this seems to have little effect on usability. They also sell adapters that will allow you to use 1/4" hex bits, which is kind of cool.

David Cockey
06-08-2010, 7:10 PM
Lee Valley has screw driver bits for Yankee screwdrivers.

Garrett Wade has drill bits for Yankee drills.

Steve Branam
06-08-2010, 9:47 PM
For a light brace, I love my Spofford brace. Simple split grip chuck, no ratchet, light and easy to handle. I bored 25 3/4" dog holes in my benchtop with it, just had to alternate arms and take a brief rest after each hole. Everything else is downright clumsy next to it. I only go to a heavier brace when I need the extra throw or the ratchet action. For smaller holes, I find the Yankee 41 just as easy (much easier than an eggbeater).

Dave Lehnert
06-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Here is a bit brace I found today. No idea what it is. $5 bucks so I had to buy it. It does say Stanley I think. Have to clean it up.