PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC IT Peeps?

Scott Gibbons
06-07-2010, 8:15 PM
Hello All,
I am currently living and working on Michigan and my family and I are looking to relocate to Virginia. I have been in IT for 15 years (automotive) and it appears that most of the jobs in my salary range require a security clearance... So my question is... Has anyone relocated to DC and came across the same issue? If so, how did you manage to find a job that would sponsor you for security clearance.

Mike Cruz
06-08-2010, 6:05 AM
Sorry, I can't directly help ya here, but I will confirm the whole security clearance thing. Pretty funny though...my brother and a buddy of mine are both in computers (one programming and one hardware) and security clearance is a given around here. I usually have about 1 "interview" a year for various friends (interviews by those "checking out" those renewing or upgrading their clearance). Odd the things you take for granted or par for the course...

Mitchell Andrus
06-08-2010, 8:14 AM
My mom has been working part time (4 to 9 hour/mo temp) for a company that was acquired by Boeing. She and everyone else had to go through security. Imagine a 71 year old grandma having to pee in a cup for drug testing.....

All get the same treatment regardless of age.

Bruce Page
06-08-2010, 9:19 AM
Try working at a National Security laboratory.. :rolleyes:

Pat Germain
06-08-2010, 9:56 AM
Many, in fact most, contractors with a clearance got it through prior military service. If a company hires a person without a clearance, there is a lot of expense involved. Also, they have to employ the person for six months to a year while they wait for the clearance to process. Meanwhile, that person is often not permitted to do any work without a clearance. So, I think you see the problem here. It's in a contractor's best interest to hire people who already have a clearance. However, if they come across people they really like and really need, they will suck it up and hire those people with no clearance.

If you want to locate to the Northern Virginia area, I would recommend seeking out a position with the federal government. The pendulum is now swinging hard in the "GS" direction. That is, contractors are being let go and more government employees are being hired. One place to start is www.usajobs.com (http://www.usajobs.com). The federal government is much more likely to hire you and invest the time and expense for you to get any required security clearance.

EDIT: One more thing. Being an IT person working for the government has a very big advantage. They can't outsource your job to India, or anwhere else offshore, because the positions require US Citizenship and a security clearance. :)

Mike Cruz
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Mitchell, I'd rather not....

Lee Schierer
06-08-2010, 1:14 PM
Normally a security clearance isn't transportable from one employer to another. Just because I held a security clearance in the service doesn't automatically qualify you for one in private industry, even if you work for the government. Although the security agencies can use prior background check information for the particular job you are seeking, it should be an entirely new process. The folks on TV have it wrong when they say " I have a security clearance, so tell me this secret information." It doesn't work that way in real life. You have to have a need to know before you get to know and that need has to be verified and approved by the program manager.

Bryan Morgan
06-09-2010, 1:45 AM
My mom has been working part time (4 to 9 hour/mo temp) for a company that was acquired by Boeing. She and everyone else had to go through security. Imagine a 71 year old grandma having to pee in a cup for drug testing.....

All get the same treatment regardless of age.

We do a ton of work for Boeing and also had to get cleared... I don't know who paid for it but I was told it cost $20,000 per person. I don't know if I believe this as it would have broken our company but thats what they told me...

Scott Gibbons
06-09-2010, 5:48 PM
Thanks Everyone. I have heard 10k for basic clearance and 20k+ for the more advance polygraph type. I will keep chugging along, hopefully I can find something :)