PDA

View Full Version : I know this is probably a no no

Jay Jolliffe
06-07-2010, 5:36 PM
But has anyone cut the rails on a saw stop. I ordered the 52" rails & their just a little to long & the 36 are to short. On my last saw I cut them from 52 to 48. After I did that I couldn't cut at 48" which was a pain but I don't want to be moving the saw all the time to get around it....I really hate to do it, it's such a pretty saw.

David Giles
06-07-2010, 5:44 PM
I have used a Sawstop to cut aluminum Incra rails. Be sure and turn the key that disables the brake for EACH cut.

I've only triggered the brake once accidentally, and this wasn't it.

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 5:44 PM
One has to do what one has to do. It is like taking a plasma cutter to a new piece of equipment to improve the dust port. It is a machine and function should ALWAYS trump form. That said do it correctly and one would never know you did it, since the days of cast iron extensions on resonably price TS are gone no reason you can't make it look like it was born that way.

Mitchell Andrus
06-07-2010, 6:00 PM
But has anyone cut the rails on a saw stop. I ordered the 52" rails & their just a little to long & the 36 are to short. On my last saw I cut them from 52 to 48. After I did that I couldn't cut at 48" which was a pain but I don't want to be moving the saw all the time to get around it....I really hate to do it, it's such a pretty saw.

You own it.... you can set it ablaze if you wanted to.

but.... if that's what yer planning... call me.

Jeff Monson
06-07-2010, 6:17 PM
Jay I went down that road with my Pm2000 last year, I cut mine down to 40" as my shop is very narrow, I had my local machine shop cut the rails and I cut the filler board myself. You cannot tell it was ever cut.

Rick Lizek
06-07-2010, 7:04 PM
I've converted several 52" saws into dropleaf tables so you get the benefits of both.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133403&page=2 See post #25

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 7:42 PM
I've converted several 52" saws into dropleaf tables so you get the benefits of both.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133403&page=2 See post #25

Pretty dog gone nifty!

Dave MacArthur
06-07-2010, 7:47 PM
Jay--Don't do it! PM me if you're serious, maybe we can work a deal. I just bought a SawStop 5HP ICS that has 36" rails, and I'd like the 52" rails. Isn't your shop a bit too tight for 48" rails even? hehe...
(stealth gloat).

Chip Lindley
06-07-2010, 7:59 PM
Since you need rails longer than the short version, and shorter than the long version, it's time for some judicious cutting. They are yours to do with as you wish! Just make the new, cut ends nice and square and smooth. Nothing worse than a raggedy do-over on an expensive new piece of equipment.

Someone mentioned plasma cutter/PM2000! My pride-n-joy PM66 had a larger dust port cut into it by the previous owner. Instead of just using a hand scroll saw, the hole was cut with a torch! That left the paint blistered and burnt surrounding the new opening. Arghhhh!

Will Overton
06-07-2010, 8:00 PM
If you did it on your last saw, why even question doing it now. Do what works for you, nobody else. It might be a SS, but it's still just a hunk of metal.

Mike Hollingsworth
06-07-2010, 8:17 PM
No.
They have to be either 36" or 52".
It's in the rule book.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-08-2010, 12:25 AM
If it works for you, go ahead and do it. It will only hurt for that very first cut. It's like when I cut into my extension wing for a router plate. I was thinking, this is a $4K saw. It was hard to do the first plunge into the wing. But after that it didn't hurt at all. And it is functional. So go for it. It's just a saw, as many have said..... Little bit of black paint, and no one will notice that they don't make a 48" saw.......

Do you have a mobile base? Maybe you can move it around, instead of going through a rather drastic change. Just another thought.

Joe Chritz
06-08-2010, 8:39 AM
A circular saw will cut the cast iron top of a tablesaw (:eek: ask me how I know that one.) so yes you can just cut them off.

Any number of ways will work but even a sawzall and a file will give serviceable results.

Joe

Michael MacDonald
06-08-2010, 9:41 AM
so you don't need that extra four inches for the T of the fence to ride? my 36 inch fence may have an actual two inches to spare, but the T would hang out over the edge at 36".