PDA

View Full Version : DUH!! What next?

Roland Martin
06-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I got inspired by Toney R's recent photo tutorial on square bowls and thought I'd give it a try. This 4-legged bowl is birdseye maple @ 1 3/4" x 5" square. Sorry for the photo quality, didn't have a lot of time for much better.

I centered this block on a face plate, marked & radiused the 4 corners on a horiz. sander before turning. Roughed out the bottom and made a dovetail recess to mount to the chuck. Turned it around and mounted to the chuck and finish turned the outside.

I used a PVC stanoff from my donut chuck to mount the bowl to, centered & held in place with the tailstock. That worked good until I reallized I couldn't get to most of it with the tailstock in the way (Damn rookie):eek:

Any suggestions on mounting this to get it completed? I've heard of masking tape & hotmelt, but have never tried that. My plans are to thin this rather bulky form and taper the legs off quite a bit.

Thanks

Tim Rinehart
06-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Without having an existing tenon or other feature to assure you are perfectly centered, I would be concerned with trying to remount the piece at this point. The legs look thin enough that they will likely 'flex' out while turning, and this just makes things too difficult to do any meaningful cleanup.

Consider it a learning experience, hand/power sand as much as you can, and perhaps use some of the thickness to experiment with carving or inlace...other design opportunities.

Next time around, just keep in mind that you want the 'underside' in this pic, pretty much all done as far as turning the legs is concerned, and the cove. Remounting it using tape/vacuum/jam...in the top surface should be done only to clean up your foot/tenon for final appearance.

Thats my $0.02. Cool square bowl though, that dramatic cove is not easy...you did great I think.

Harvey Ghesser
06-07-2010, 11:06 AM
There's no shortage of wood, Roland. Great learning experience! I just know that your next attempt will be successful and done properly!

Besides, your initial attempt actually looks good!:D
Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Harv

Thom Sturgill
06-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Make a jamb chuck that closely fits the inside. Mount a block and turn a tenon, mount it on the tenon and turn to fit the bowl. The bowl is forced to center by the taper if you have it square (which means that the jamb chuck needs to be large enough to support the top surface of the bowl too.) Make another jamb that fits the tailstock so that there is no point to dig in. Best if it mounts on top of the live center.

You might get away with double stick tape, but I'd not want to do it, and I don't see any other way to tape the bowl to the jamb chuck and still do the clean up, so support from the tail is probably mandatory.

As said, next time remember to clean the ENTIRE bottom before reversing. Good job so far though even if you have to carve/hand-sand the rest.

Fred Perreault
06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Rollie,
If you don't have a vac system for chucking, do it the old fashioned way and hand sand, or mail it to me and I will finish and send it back, but you'll owe me a future draft choice. Nice wood, nice shape. I've made a few of those myself. I too had to learn the hard way.
Fred

John Keeton
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
And, this would be exactly why I haven't attempted one of these yet!!:D;) When I said Tony made it LOOK easy, that is what I meant!

Roland, no doubt, you got GUTS!! That inside cut on those legs had to be challenging, to say the least.

I think without a vacuum chuck, at this point you are done.

Toney Robertson
06-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I got inspired by Toney R's recent photo tutorial on square bowls and thought I'd give it a try. This 4-legged bowl is birdseye maple @ 1 3/4" x 5" square. Sorry for the photo quality, didn't have a lot of time for much better.

I centered this block on a face plate, marked & radiused the 4 corners on a horiz. sander before turning. Roughed out the bottom and made a dovetail recess to mount to the chuck. Turned it around and mounted to the chuck and finish turned the outside.

I used a PVC stanoff from my donut chuck to mount the bowl to, centered & held in place with the tailstock. That worked good until I reallized I couldn't get to most of it with the tailstock in the way (Damn rookie):eek:

Any suggestions on mounting this to get it completed? I've heard of masking tape & hotmelt, but have never tried that. My plans are to thin this rather bulky form and taper the legs off quite a bit.

Thanks

Roland,

That looks good.

Do you have Cole jaws. If you do you could probably rig something up with them. I have even used pieces of pex pipe on each bumper screw as a stand off to grip certain pieces.

Nice sound it makes isn't it? Sounds like an airplane taking off!!

Toney

Jim Underwood
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Roland, no doubt, you got GUTS!! That inside cut on those legs had to be challenging, to say the least.

Yeah those sharp corners can cut the fool out of ya. Don't ask me how I know that...:o

Roland Martin
06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all the wisdom offered on this. I'll heed the general advice and consider this a learning experience:). I'll stick it on the bench as a reminder of steps to take next time around.

Mike Minto
06-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Roland, you could center it on a set of Cole jaws, and then tape it into place - hot melt glue as you said would be a help on a jamb chuck, as well. BTW, shouldn't that have been, "D'OH!"?

Peter Fabricius
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Mount centered on cole jaws and then place a donut 1/4 inch ply with a hole in the centre, over the legs so you have full access to the bottom of the bowl. Now you can finish the bottom to the shape and as thin as you like.
The donut makes it safe. You might want to make a centering wood piece to place on the cole jaws inside the interior of the bowl to keep it from slipping on the face of the cole jaws.
Peter F.

John Hart
06-08-2010, 1:43 PM
Roland....since you've already decided to table this piece, I won't try to convince you otherwise. But, since there's other good ideas on mounting stuff in this here thread...I thought I'd throw mine in too.

Here's a picture!! (pictures are proof that stuff really happened);)

So this picture describes using a piece of a mousepad to provide cushion and friction to the piece. Then mounting a sharp metal stick into a drill chuck, you jam your assembly as shown in the all-revealing picture.

The long sharp thing enables you to get in there and play with the foot. (NOT play footsies! sheesh! :rolleyes:)

I make my long sharp things out of computer printer roller shafts.

Computer printer roller shafts also make perfect miniature turning tools. (but that's another all-revealing thread with pictures. ;))

Anyway.....What you leave behind is a small nub in the center of the foot, where the long stick point was. Then just sand away that nub with a power sander.

By the way...In case you hate this idea.....It's not my idea....It's Jim Becker's

If you really like this idea....It's mine. I thought it up all by myself....and I'll probably patent it.

Roland Martin
06-08-2010, 4:53 PM
Roland....since you've already decided to table this piece, I won't try to convince you otherwise. But, since there's other good ideas on mounting stuff in this here thread...I thought I'd throw mine in too.

Here's a picture!! (pictures are proof that stuff really happened);)

So this picture describes using a piece of a mousepad to provide cushion and friction to the piece. Then mounting a sharp metal stick into a drill chuck, you jam your assembly as shown in the all-revealing picture.

The long sharp thing enables you to get in there and play with the foot. (NOT play footsies! sheesh! :rolleyes:)

I make my long sharp things out of computer printer roller shafts.

Computer printer roller shafts also make perfect miniature turning tools. (but that's another all-revealing thread with pictures. ;))

Anyway.....What you leave behind is a small nub in the center of the foot, where the long stick point was. Then just sand away that nub with a power sander.

By the way...In case you hate this idea.....It's not my idea....It's Jim Becker's

If you really like this idea....It's mine. I thought it up all by myself....and I'll probably patent it.

:D:D!! You're too damn funny John:):) I just had to save this in my turning folder for future reference and when I'm feeling a little blue:)

Well, it and I wasn't broken yet so I decided to hand and power sand to completion, assuming that I don't screw it up (you know a little more, almost there...):eek::eek::eek:!!

I'll save Jim & say it was a great idea:)