PDA

View Full Version : Tools and workbench on "American Pickers"

Andrew Gibson
06-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I was just watching this episode of "american Pickers" http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers/videos/invisible-pump#invisible-pump

At the 41 min mark or so there is a work bench in the background that has a tool rack outfitted with a very nice collection of saws, that almost looks like it is a lid that would close over the top of the bench. it caught my eye and I wondered If I was just imagining it or if anyone has ever seen a bench with a hinged tool rack that closes like a lid? the bench itself looks like a small shaker style bench I guess, as it has drawers underneath.

In the episode (at the same house) there are also some foot powered machines, a Band Saw, scroll saw, and I think a shapper... I think they called the shapper a jointer though.

David Nelson1
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I saw what does look like a top that can be closed over that work bench. It's even leaning toward the closed position. Alot of good history of tools even though its brief.

Andrew Gibson
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
It cought my eye, and even though it was breaf I thought a few here would enjoy seeing it.

James Taglienti
06-07-2010, 1:30 PM
There are a few of them out there. IMO completely impractical.

"ooh, i need my bevel gauge. just let me move these 30 things AND the workpiece so I can get in there."

I guess if you were in a rush you could just lift the lid and let everything fall to the floor. :D

I built a coffee table a few years back with a hinged lid. I wanted a drawer, but my wife insisted on the lid.

There have been a couple times that come to mind that I was in a rush and just lifted the lid to get at something, letting everything on the table clatter to the floor.

Now I just keep things I never use in there, like the last 2 years of FWW. OOh, burn.

Eric DeSilva
06-07-2010, 3:13 PM
I was just watching this episode of "american Pickers" http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers/videos/invisible-pump#invisible-pump

I have this love/hate relationship with that show. It is really neat to see some of the stuff they unearth, but at the same time, I struggle with the fact that their business relies on buying things from people who don't know the value of what they have... They actually are probably far more ethical than others in that business--I have seem them pay more than the requested price--but still... I'm conflicted. I keep feeling like it could be my grandmother they are taking advantage of...

James Taglienti
06-07-2010, 3:34 PM
What if you traveled from place to place trying to help people realize the true vale of their posessions? You'd have to charge money for that too. Trust me, those two pickers are far from rich.

I buy tools all the time thinking that I can get more for them. It is a decent chunk of my income. I have bought a $1000 plane for $15. I have paid triple what i should have for things and got burned.

If i go to an auction and buy a stanley 289 for $20, should I go to the family who consigned it and give them $200?

Two guys came by my house recently and tried to buy the 55 chevy sitting in the front yard for $150. I told them no, thats my wife's planter. In truth, I wanted to research the car before i sold it. Turns out they lowballed big time. All someone has to do is say "No," and they keep whatever it is.

Taking advantage of the ignorance of others in business is almost the american way!

Andrew Gibson
06-07-2010, 4:50 PM
I think I am ok with what these guys do. They show up to houses and they tell the people what they do and what they are looking for. I have a hard time believing that people do not know that they are going to sell the stuff for more then they pay for it.
To me its the same Idea as going to a flea market or a yard sale.

george wilson
06-07-2010, 5:22 PM
That big van is expensive to run,and they put a lot of miles on it. I don't have a problem with them. Making a living buying and selling? That's what you do.

That workbench looks like one of those "gentleman's workbenches" that could be kept in an apartment. When they were folded up,they looked like a piece of furniture. They contained a smallish workbench top,vises,and a decent collection of hand tools. I'd love to have one. I think they are cool.

They were sold in the 19th.C. to gentlemen who lived in a small apartment,and had no real shop space.

Eric DeSilva
06-07-2010, 6:01 PM
Taking advantage of the ignorance of others in business is almost the american way!

Sadly, that is probably true. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

And, to be clear, I don't think what they are doing is wrong--they do a lot of work. Drive a lot of miles. And, frankly, even with some great finds, I suspect if you averaged out their hourly rate, it isn't going to be particularly great. And, I fully recognize that something that is left to continue to rust in a barn until it falls apart has no value and never will.

My problem is that when I see them buy something for $15 from a nice little old lady, who probably has no idea of the value and doesn't know what e*bay is, and the show wind-up says "sold for $450," I can't help but to feel a little bad for the little old lady. It isn't rational. It isn't business. It's purely emotional.

george wilson
06-07-2010, 6:17 PM
I really haven't seen them taking advantage of little old ladies. I don't think they would put that on their TV show even if they actually did it in real life.:)

James Taglienti
06-07-2010, 7:12 PM
Sometimes I feel bad for the people on the show too.

Maybe there is a market for a show called "Victims of American Pickers" where you interview the people and see what they think. Or at least have a support group for them.

But business is business. Someone is always making money off of someone else. Thats how it works.

george wilson
06-07-2010, 7:37 PM
That's how the entire business system works. It is Capitalism. What good would it be to let the objects lay around in someone's junk until it is rusted through,or sent off to the junkyard to be sent to China(to make more junk:) ).

Mark Stutz
06-09-2010, 1:41 PM
I rarely have time to watch TV, but I did see one or two episodes few months ago. They stopped at a house that was loaded with "stuff". Owners thought they had a number of collectible goods. Pickers didn't want anything...turns out they felt most of the items were reproductions and worth very little. Guess it works both ways.

harry strasil
06-09-2010, 2:42 PM
I wish they would have spent more time on the foot powered machinery. My Wish book is a reproduction of the WF&G Barnes Foot Powered Catalogue.

Jim Rimmer
06-09-2010, 4:32 PM
Sometimes I feel bad for the people on the show too.

Maybe there is a market for a show called "Victims of American Pickers" where you interview the people and see what they think. Or at least have a support group for them.

But business is business. Someone is always making money off of someone else. Thats how it works.
I'm sure they wouldn't put it on the show if they really took someone to the cleaners. But, consider that they are approaching people who are sitting on stuff, offering a reasonable price, hauling it away and displaying it in a retail shop or finding customers they have developed over the years. The people they buy from aren't trying to sell and then getting taken, they don't have the expense of operating the truck (and hotels and meals), they don't have a retail outlet, nor do they have another employee "back at the ranch" taking care of business. I think they make fair offers, and as has been said, the people can "Just say no."

john brenton
06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Haha, so true. I get annoyed with my bench and the main drawer. It seems that just when I set the clamps up overhanging in front of the drawer I realize that I need my bevel gauge or straight edge. Even that is totally annoying, I can only imagine a hinged lid workbench.

There are a few of them out there. IMO completely impractical.

"ooh, i need my bevel gauge. just let me move these 30 things AND the workpiece so I can get in there."

I guess if you were in a rush you could just lift the lid and let everything fall to the floor. :D

I built a coffee table a few years back with a hinged lid. I wanted a drawer, but my wife insisted on the lid.

There have been a couple times that come to mind that I was in a rush and just lifted the lid to get at something, letting everything on the table clatter to the floor.

Now I just keep things I never use in there, like the last 2 years of FWW. OOh, burn.

John Powers
06-10-2010, 2:14 PM
I think Todd summed it up years ago. If someone called him to appraise, consult on tool values thats one thing. If someone puts a tool on sale at a flea or garage sale thats another. If the old lady next door who gave my kids cookies put grandads unisaw up for $50.00 I'd straighten her out and handle the sale on craigs and give her the proceeds. If I see the uni in a driveway cross town with $50.00 on it, I'm on it because the guy behind me will be. When I handed that guy $1.00 for that pristeen MF push drill with a handle full of bits he smiled. I can't carry the weight of the world to every garage sale.

george wilson
06-10-2010, 2:39 PM
Are you guys thinking that the tool rack is the workbench top? It isn't. The work surface of those fold up benches is revealed when the tool rack is lifted up to its vertical position.

The actual bench top is only about a foot wide,and the vises are mounted on it. The tool rack's top,when it is folded down,is highly finished,like the top of a sideboard.

When everything is closed up,the bench looks like a piece of furniture,so your small apartment's decor isn't disrupted by having a workbench in the middle of it.

harry strasil
06-10-2010, 4:02 PM
maybe this will help some understand better. This one was made by Hammacher ,Schlemmer Co. is a Gentleman's Combination bench-and-tool cabinet from a ca. 1920 catalogue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/odd/wwingbench.jpg

Joe Cunningham
06-10-2010, 4:07 PM
I wish they would have spent more time on the foot powered machinery. My Wish book is a reproduction of the WF&G Barnes Foot Powered Catalogue.

I was freaking out when I watched it. "Wow, whoa, awww cool, what a foot-powered lathe? Go back, rewind."

Caspar Hauser
06-10-2010, 4:11 PM
I could actually use something like that on the job site. Though a little further along the evolutionary timeline. I've been thinking very carefully along the lines of Mr Strasil's demo bench, but secure handy tool storage is also an issue. As is ease of portability.

I need to go and find some paper and a beer :) or three.

CH

harry strasil
06-10-2010, 4:11 PM
I have a shop made treadle lathe, Lester Improved treadle scroll saw, and a W.F.& G. Barnes Foot Mortiser, so far.

harry strasil
06-10-2010, 4:23 PM
Living History Farms at Des Moines, Ia. has a carpenter shop with a rather large (long) working treadle lathe, a hand powered rip saw, foot powered table saws, a large pedal powered scroll saw and other assorted tools, I haven't been there for quite a few years, but it is worth the stop and there is also a good old style resturant close. (I have no affiliation with Living History Farms!)

harry strasil
06-10-2010, 4:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/footmorticer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/lathe.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/scrollsaw.jpg

Derby Matthews
06-10-2010, 6:49 PM
Does anyone know if the people visted in A.P. are paid for their appearance on the show?

I know several Pickers, and most of these these folks are pretty much cut from the same cloth, looking to about double their money on average, and sell items quickly. Good clean fun. Grandma is usually wise(r than some of us) to someone trying to rip her off, anyway. Want to find scammers? Try the Phone company.

Ken Martin
06-15-2010, 12:41 AM
I was freaking out when I watched it. "Wow, whoa, awww cool, what a foot-powered lathe? Go back, rewind."

Here are two pictures of a Barnes foot powered lathe at the Malakof Diggings State Park in California.

Ken

Jim Koepke
06-22-2010, 1:28 AM
I knew there was a picture of one of these on my computer somewhere. Just found it while looking for something else.

This is from an auction and is listed as a Melhuish work bench tool cabinet.

jim

george wilson
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Jim,I had a vise for many years just like that one. I never used it,and eventually gave it away to someone. It was VERY massive. Very heavy iron castings. A pretty old vise even in 1963 when I picked it out of some discarded stuff.

I am VERY tempted to make and outfit a "concealed" workbench like the one Harry posted. It would be nice in my study.