PDA

View Full Version : Belt Sander Recommendations

Bill Rogers
06-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Can anyone recommend a good belt sander? Or can you recommend the ones to stay away from? I am looking for something along these lines.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4155FFWX2WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00004SUOR/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi)

Bill

Michael Arruda
06-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Porter Cable or Rockwell. Same thing. Get an old one- far better than anything made today. Unless you want to pay to play, then get a new Porter Cable. Sticker shock time, but, you get what you pay for. If you don't need a pro level tool, look for a Bosch or Makita. Not to say they're not "pro" level, but they're not on par with the PC. steer clear of the usual suspects- B&D, Craftsman, Skil, etc. Unless you're looking at old tools- B&D and Skil used to make good tools about 30 years ago.

-Michael

Cary Falk
06-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a Makita 3x18 and a 4X24. I like them both. They have a low profile and have a flat top so you lay them on their top and dosome hand sanding if need be. Every Porter Cable sander I have used has been top heavy and unbalanced. I f you aren't real careful you sand groves in your work. I know a lot of people like the Porter Cable sanders but I do not. YMMV.

Greg Portland
06-07-2010, 1:20 PM
Bill, what size belt sander are you looking for (or what application)? It looks like you're thinking about a 3x18? I'm a fan of Bosch or Festool for my sanders. Festool doesn't sell a belt sander in North America but has the Rotex (may or may not be appropriate depending on your application and budget).

As for PC, I would avoid their new tools; the quality is not there.

paul cottingham
06-07-2010, 1:25 PM
For occasional use, I have the Rigid Heavy-Duty Variable 3 In. x 18 In. Belt Sander. It serves me well for the occasional time that I need it. Bear in mind, I am more of a hand plane guy, but have been very happy I have the belt sander when I've needed it.

Andrew Joiner
06-07-2010, 1:38 PM
I've had lots of belt sanders. The Porter Cable 504 was my favorite. The inline design makes it balanced, but it was heavy. Heavy was good for some applications.

Now I have a Ryobi BE 321. It's been a good sander and a great value, but I think discontinued.
I'll try the Bosch 1274DVS next.
I like inline.

Van Huskey
06-07-2010, 1:44 PM
I have always been a PC fan but based on a friend's suggestion the last one I bought is a Dewalt 433, I was surprised but it is actually better in pretty much every way. The big positives for me are changing belts and control.

Kent A Bathurst
06-07-2010, 1:54 PM
.....The Porter Cable 504 was my favorite. The inline design makes it balanced, but it was heavy.......

No kidding!! Worm gear drive. Don't know how you could wear one out.

My PC 360 gets only occasional use. 10-12 years old. Excellent tool.

mark kosse
06-07-2010, 2:28 PM
I haven't used many, but I sure like my PC's. super tough. I had a makita that was nice but one drop too many broke the molded in handle. The handles on the pc's are changable, but in 12 years of use in a woodshop, it has never broken.

Don Whitten
06-07-2010, 5:14 PM
I have a Hitachi which is nice.

Frank Martin
06-07-2010, 5:41 PM
I have the variable speed 4/24" Bosch with a sanding frame, works great and has decent dust collection when hooked to a vacuum. Main reason I got this was the availability of a sanding frame, which to me makes this sander a lot more useful.

Victor Robinson
06-07-2010, 6:24 PM
I've got the Makita 9910X 3x18. It was $70 on Amazon (currently doesn't seem to be in stock at AMZ, other places have it for much higher). Used it to remove poly finish and level a 60x40 tabletop. Performed very well, and can't beat the price I got it for.

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-07-2010, 6:33 PM
I have a VS 4x24 Bosch. I've used a bunch of Porter Cables at work, and would definitely buy a Bosch again

Mike Hollingsworth
06-07-2010, 8:33 PM
I've had the 3x21 Porter Cable for 20 years. Haven't used in a couple years, since I got my Rotex.

Bill Huber
06-07-2010, 9:43 PM
I have a Ridgid 3x21 and I sure wish I had never bought it. It does sand like a champ but it is a dust blowing devil, and I put the shop vac on it and it still fogs the shop.

Karl Brogger
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Any to avoid? Yeah, anything that isn't a Porter Cable 504. The rest are literally garbage.

The only thing that it doesn't do in a far superior manner, is function as an install sander. Way too heavy.

I wish someone would buy the design, and start spitting them out again. Had I know they were going to be discontinued I would've bought six, and a lifetime of spare parts.

and yes, I'm severely biased. :D

Rob Sack
06-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I have several older Porter Cable 3 X 21's, An Hitachi 4 X 24, and a
Bosch 3 X 21, model 1274. I always reach for the Bosch 3 X 21. Great balance, a long platen, and plenty of power. Not to mention the fact that Bosch factory service is outstanding. I used to be a great fan of Porter Cable too, and have a shop full of their tools. However, I wouldn't even consider buying any more of their current product of anything, and as the older ones I own wear out, I will only replace them with Bosch or Milwaukee

Don Morris
06-09-2010, 1:26 AM
My PC 3 X 21 is a beast, but reliable, efficient, and effective. I've had it for 10 yrs. Use it somewhat often but rarely heavily. I even use it to sharpen gardening tools by putting it on it's side. When I do that I take it out to the garage because I don't do metal sharpening, with all the sparks, in the wood shop. Easily adjustable and can track the roll with little difficulty. Dust collection is like most...fair, and something that could be improved.

Simon Dupay
06-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Any to avoid? Yeah, anything that isn't a Porter Cable 504. The rest are literally garbage.

The only thing that it doesn't do in a far superior manner, is function as an install sander. Way too heavy.

I wish someone would buy the design, and start spitting them out again. Had I know they were going to be discontinued I would've bought six, and a lifetime of spare parts.

and yes, I'm severely biased. :D

Don't forget the PC A-2,A-3,503 and 500 as well as the old skil worm-drive sanders too, I love my 500 and my skil 3x24, even though the 500 weighs 25lb!:D