PDA

View Full Version : SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Tim Rinehart

Tim Rinehart
06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
The first item is the utilitarian piece, a piece of lightly spalted pecan (95% sure of wood) that was from a log I got during a recent club meeting.
The piece measures 12"x10"x2", and the LOML plans to use it for serving cheese/crackers...stuff like that. I started by chucking the whole log between centers (using spur drive), turning the tenon after getting thru most of pith, and then completing piece by vacuum chucking to do foot details.

The finish is a couple applications of natural Danish Oil, hand rubbed only.

The second item is a hollow from that will not hold water, has a difficult time standing on its own, so nothing can be put in it (except perhaps a little bottom ballast)...therefore, this is art.

Turned from flaming box elder burl, the piece is 5" diam x 7.5" tall and is approximately 1/8" wall throughout. The pics don't do justice to the figure and rays in this wood. I made a point of leaving some 'natural' excluded area at the rim/opening after seeing a recent pic of one of Ken Vonk's pieces...thanks for the inspiration Ken! I like keeping the wood defects and natural surfaces in tact whenever I can, and I think it worked ok here.

Finish is shellac, followed by natural Danish Oil and then buffed and polished with Beal system, followed by Ren Wax finish.
Comments and critiques welcome.

Roland Martin
06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
First of all Tim, your utilitarian piece is absolutely beautiful, the wood, the form, the finish, the natural edge, it really all works very well.

I've yet to turn any hollow forms, and is very intriguing to me how such large fragile pieces like this can be done. Some day, I hope to try.

The colors and grain in this box elder is stunning, as is the form and finish. Very well done art form.

Thanks for posting!

David Warkentin
06-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Both look very good! David

John Keeton
06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Really some nice work, Tim! The utilitarian piece is very "artful" as well as functional. That must have been a turning experience chucking up the whole log!!:eek: Not sure I have the fortitude for that!

Wonderful wood in the vase, and I really like the rim detail. Smart move leaving in some of the "defect areas" - really adds to the piece. Though, in this case, I certainly wouldn't call them defects.

Excellent entries!!

Toney Robertson
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Tim,

I really like the box elder HF. The wood is beautiful and your form is spot on.

I see why it does not want to stand up.

Toney

Tony De Masi
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Both really nice pieces Tim. The BE looks like it was a real challenge, at least it would have been for me, but I love the shape and the details you left exposed.

The utilitarian piece is also really nice. It must have sounded like a real propellar while spinning too.

Well done Tim.

Tony

Tim Rinehart
06-07-2010, 1:31 PM
Roland/Dave/Toney, thanks for your comments.

The utilitarian piece is also really nice. It must have sounded like a real propellar while spinning too.

Well done Tim.

Tony
Thanks Tony, much appreciated. The box elder wasn't too difficult, especially once the inclusions started opening up and made the chips self clear a little and gave a little additional view of my tool while hollowing. I use a home-made Jamieson style rig, and a laser, but having those voids is a bonus for hollow forms any day.

I originally had a foot on this piece for stability, as I had hollowed a little deeper than I wanted, and so I had to decide to either have a foot ... or a pretty small base. I didn't like the foot (when done and first coats of shellac on) and neither did LOML, so I had to remount the piece and remove the foot. I have found that I can bring the piece up to my vacuum chucks like I was going to use vacuum, and then simply tape them in place. With a little tweaking of the position, I can get it spinning true enough to recut cleanly.

I've done some Japanese style bowls and the square bowls that make a lot more noise than this did though. I'm guessing you have to have a bit more depth in comparison to the overall width to get more of that spinning prop sound...pretty scary regardless, even with little blue pieces of tape on my tool rest as warning on where the outboard point of the piece is. Fun times, regardless.

That must have been a turning experience chucking up the whole log!!:eek: Not sure I have the fortitude for that!

Excellent entries!!

John,
Thank you for your comments on both.

As to the chucking a log...believe it or not...there's nothing to it. I have a small turning from dogwood I'm finishing up tonight that I made from a similar though smaller piece, but I kept some of the pith, so it will be a touch deeper. It was maybe 6" long, and main trunk 2.5" diameter. Just drill small forstner starter on "top" side (1" diam for spur) so you have clean wood to bite into. Then just eyeball bringing up your tailstock...and start forming the bottom. It's the first time I have tried this, but it's alot easier than I would have thought, and makes easy use of small stuff. Could apply same concept to short piece of log to make a nice 'oval' natural edge form as well. Your Delta is more than capable enough...and I know you are too!!:)

Mark Burge
06-07-2010, 7:06 PM
Nice job on both pieces. I really think you did two art forms!

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2010, 8:41 PM
Tim - exceptionally nice work on both pieces!

Really like the crotch wood platter/bowl! A lot of time, it is a challenge trying to figure out a way to provide a functional turning that has a sense of style to it. You managed that quite well! Love the flow to the form - everything flows with the grain and is not interrupted by the presence of the bowl. Seriously - very nice work!

Great vase! Beautiful wood - grain and colors! Love the form! Not 100% sure with the opening and would have preferred a smaller, slightly raised lip that continues the outside curve. I do like the small foot! This is art - shouldn't have to look functional - and in this case the small foot really adds to the form!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
06-07-2010, 8:48 PM
Nicely done, Tim. The grain and color in the platter is wonderful.

I love the vase form and the wood is top notch as well. A very nice pair of turnings to be sure.

charlie knighton
06-07-2010, 9:09 PM
both are very nice...

James Combs
06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Here is another "well done" Tim.