PDA

View Full Version : Casters

Mike Minto
06-07-2010, 9:55 AM
For those of you who have casters on your lathe, which do you like and why? Any you tried and don't like? Do they affect the stability, positively or negatively, of your machine? Also, is your machine on a concrete or wood floor?

Edward Bartimmo
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Mike,

I have a mobile base for my lathe (base weighs 150lbs) that is shaped like an "I". It has 4" casters (orange rubber ones) that attach to the mobile base just a little wider than where the lathe's legs terminate. I t probably ads an additonal 6"-8" of width to the lathe (some extra stability. My lathe sits on top of the base using the standard feet that came with the lathe. I haven't bothered or found it necessary to remove the feet and bolt the lathe directly to the mobile base. THere have not been any issues with stability and I can roll the lathe around easily.

Depending upon where you want to move it you may consider a larger diameter wheel that will more easily straddle gaps, such as the lip between the garage and driveway.

Good Luck,
Edward

Tim Rinehart
06-07-2010, 1:59 PM
For something like a lathe, where stability and such is so important, I would not want to use casters, unless I could retract them.

I read or heard someone talk about removing the stresses in a lathe, to keep it solid. Having it on casters, and possibly moving even just a little bit, could throw off alignment too easily, IMO. You often can't even tell that it is not sitting stressfree and solid by just trying to rock it, as even the large cast iron beds on 16" + lathes can twist to some degree.

What I do, whether adjustable pads or solid footing:

1. Rough level out lathe so bed is level both axially and transversely (ok, longwise and sideways). This requires either adjusting pads that screw up/down, or using shim material between foot and floor.
2. Identify the center (front to back) of the side you want to fine tune, or whichever is easiest to work from. Using some lever/crowbar/etc...lift the lathe just off the center and support at the center with a block of wood or equivalent, so the lathe is now supported on 3 points (2 on other side, and one on side you're 'tweaking'.)
3. Measure the gap between the front and rear pads. If equal, the lathe will sit 'stress-free' when set back down on all 4. If not equal, add additional shim material, or adjust screw in supports till equal.
4. Remove temporary support and place lathe back on all fours.

Note: This assumes that there is no unsymmetrical flexing of the floor, if wood floor. If that's the case...you probably have other issues as well.

Mike Spanbauer
06-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Greatlakes of Zambus casters are the only casters I would recommend on a lathe for the reasons cited above. What makes them different is that A) they are SUPER solid and roll w/ the push of a finger, and B) they have a foot that can be adjusted to completely take all weight off of the wheel itself and act as a leveler. In fact, I was able to more easily level my lathe with them than the included adjuster feet.

They aren't cheap though (with greatlakes being a bit cheaper than the Zambus, but I've not had direct experience w/ them). I have 4 on my MM16 bandsaw too, and at `550 lbs, it pushes w/ ease across the floor of the garage.

Your average casters will not provide for enough stability or locking to satisfy when you've a heavy out of round blank on the lathe.

mike

Nick Mastropietro
06-08-2010, 2:40 PM
Mike, this is a link to a thread I posted showing the casters I purchased.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134344

This link shows some of the installation process
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135034

This link sent just to show that these casters can take the load.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138584

The lathe is setup in my garage on a concrete floor. I love them they are solid as a rock and move easily. Lower the foot and the lathe is stuck like glue on a rubber foot.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

Gary Herrmann
06-08-2010, 5:53 PM
I've got Great Lakes casters on my MM16. Before I knew about them I bought Zambus for my 3520b. Retractable is the way to go.

With the feet down, I can run a 40-50 lb off balance chunk of wood with a nickle balanced on the ways.

Umm, on edge, for all you smart-alecks out there...

Thomas Canfield
06-09-2010, 8:58 PM
There is an article in the American Woodturner, pg 15, on using trailer jacks as wheels for a lathe. Three jacks (1500# each) are shown for a Jet 16" and it makes a neat installation and cost about $100 for material or less.

I recently had to replace some casters under my 8" Delta DJ20 jointer and got good results talking to the people at Caster City http://www.castercity.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=3GP3x1-1/4-S . They came up with a better rated wheel and also explained the load rating and set damage if over 50% of rated load on the polyurethane wheels over time. I had "blown" or thrown the polyurethane a couple of times on the 400# rated wheels when total weight was only about 800#.

David DeCristoforo
06-09-2010, 9:03 PM
If I were going to put casters on my lathe, the only ones I would consider are the Zambus casters or the less costly "Footmaster" clones (the ones Nick linked to). I have them on my PM160 and with the stabilizers cranked down, they are as solid as fixed legs.