PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0634 Jointer/Planer feed roller problem

Frank Martin
06-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Mine is the very first machine shipped to US. I have used it very sparingly over the couple years, as I did not have much time for woodworking and in the meantime moved from Chicago to Los Angeles.

I was planing some white maple this afternoon and the planer stopped feeding. I did not hear a particularly loud noise but I had my ear plugs on so something may have broken but I am not sure.

I will call Grizzly tomorrow, but has anyone had a similar situation? Anything particular I should check before disassembling the machine?

I was not taking a deep cut at all, I had planed ~15 boards at the same depth of cut without an issue, and then the machine stopped feeding in the middle of the next board. I have never had any of my machines or tools broken before, this is the very first one, which is dissapointing...

Chris Ricker
06-07-2010, 8:43 AM
Hey Frank
Sorry about your problem, I had the same thing a few weeks ago.
If you check the roller chain on the feed rollers, it probably jumped off the sprockets. It is a easy fix to put it back on but look for the root cause while you're in there. In my case, I believe I had the feed roller pressure set to strong which led to undo stress on the drive chain assembly and premature wear on some of the parts. I had to replace the lever, a couple of bushings and a sprocket that was bent because of the chain jumping off. Cost about $50 and the parts were shipped in a few days.
My machine works as good as new now
let me know if I can help in any way, Good luck

Ben West
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Had the same issue and it too was the chain...it had popped off the sprockets. Only happened once and for no apparent reason.

Frank Martin
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Chris and Ben,

Thanks guys!! Sounds like it probably is not a big deal. I will look into it tonight to see if I need any new parts. I will report back once I solve the problem!