PDA

View Full Version : A practice vessel

Ted Evans
06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
After admiring all of the talent that posts in this forum, I have been hesitant to show what I have tried. The handling of the tools are becoming more comfortable to where I can actually try to make something besides shavings but have been staying with the smaller stuff.

This is a piece of the spalted maple from the large tree that I previously showed pictures of that I was harvesting.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=138699

It is 4” h x 3.25 w. The opening is 1.25, it was not suppose to be that large, however, some inattention on my part removing a tool mandated an adjustment. I am thinking of trying to add a finial so would be interested in your suggestions. Wall thickness is approximately .125, bottom is about .187.

As you can see, I really struggle with my lines and curves, but I am trying to learn.

Some of my thoughts.

Not a pleasing curve from shoulder to neck

Base is too large and without a flowing curve to shoulder.

Opening is too large for the size of the vessel.

It was sanded to 400 and sprayed with pre-cat lacquer, will give the finish a few days to cure and will then buff.

It is surprising to me that it has not noticeably warped and no cracks. It had enough moisture to make a mist when I would blow the chips out. It was not a worry because I really did not expect it to survive to a finished state anyway.

Thanks again to all of you for so freely sharing your knowledge, information and talents.

Tony Greenway
06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Ted, don't be so hard on yourself! You started out with a chunk of would-be firewood and ended up with a very nice HF to set on your mantle.:) I like it!:D

James Combs
06-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Ted, don't be so hard on yourself! You started out with a chunk of would-be firewood and ended up with a very nice HF to set on your mantle.:) I like it!:D

Ditto "don't be so hard on yourself!" I just sold a "practice" piece for $125.:D So consider anything you turn as having some value.;)
As for your practice piece it wouldn't bother me to have it on my mantle.

Cathy Schaewe
06-06-2010, 11:12 PM
I think it looks really good! A nice turning, and a pretty piece of wood. We're always harder on ourselves ....

Steve Schlumpf
06-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Ted - that's a great looking form!

If you think about storage containers - meaning old pottery - this would be considered a Jar form and, as such, is a very nice turning! The a Jar form, the has to be wide enough so it doesn't tip and the opening has to be large enough to be usable. Looks like you did a real nice job on making those a part of your form!

So, big question is - What style of hollow form do you want to turn? You can look at examples that folks here have turned - just go to their photo galleries - and then give it a try. Everyone here's willing to offer suggestions and ways to turn the form you want - just let us know.

Sure is some pretty wood! Looks like it was worth the effort!

Looking forward to seeing your next HF!

John Hart
06-07-2010, 5:42 AM
It really is a nice piece Ted. I think what you're struggling with is your personal desire to acheive a form that you will eventually acheive in the future. But this piece, as is, is a very cool looking vessel. Nice looking firewood!! :)

John Keeton
06-07-2010, 8:21 AM
Talk about a nice piece of wood!! This piece really has some character. I haven't done a form like this, so my suggestions are limited in value. Seems like your self critique is appropriate, and you may want to have a more defined edge where the side meets the bottom instead of the rounded edge.

If you have another piece of the wood from which you can get a reasonable grain match, you could try a bell shaped lid with a darker contrasting finial.

David E Keller
06-07-2010, 8:33 AM
I like it the way it is, but I really like the fact that you are looking at the piece and figuring out what you would do differently next time. If you are making these forms for yourself then your opinions are the only ones that really matter.

I would consider a collar of contrasting wood for the opening. A lid with or without a decorative finial would be fun as well. Try some things and see what you like.

If you've got a bunch of that wood, I can't wait to see the upcoming pieces from it... It's really nice looking stuff.

Richard Madison
06-07-2010, 8:51 AM
Ted, your own critique is right on target, but you have still made a very nice little piece. Good work on the wall thickness, which is why it did not split. Took me forever to get down to 1/8" walls. A small lid that blends smoothly into the body might look good. In a sense, every piece is "practice", trying to learn and improve with each one.

Michelle Rich
06-07-2010, 11:11 AM
all turners struggle with form, shape, lines etc..I think it's ok for one so early into turning..just keep at it...