PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant feather pens

Joe Aliperti
06-06-2010, 9:13 PM
I can't take all the credit here. John Underhill did the hard part of gluing the feathers to the pen tubes and casting them in resin. Thanks for looking!

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/images/pens/pheasant_aero.JPG

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/images/pens/pheasant_jr_statesman1.JPG

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/images/pens/pheasant_jr_statesman2.JPG

James Combs
06-06-2010, 9:28 PM
Amazingly beautiful looking pens. How about a quick tutorial?

John Terefenko
06-06-2010, 9:31 PM
Great job on all the pens. Those are really great looking blanks and alot of work goes into them. You did them justice. Thanks for showing and the photos really look good also.

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2010, 9:46 PM
Those are beauties Joe. Really well done.

David E Keller
06-06-2010, 9:59 PM
Beautiful pens and your usual great photos.

Paul Douglass
06-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Love them. Beautiful!

James, here is a good tutorial on making feather pens:

http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/v/wood/pens/feather_tut/IMG_0488.jpg.html

James Combs
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Love them. Beautiful!

James, here is a good tutorial on making feather pens:

http://www.shanewhitlock.com/photo/v/wood/pens/feather_tut/IMG_0488.jpg.html

Thanks Paul, I will be giving that process a try one of these days. Love the way the clear casting shows off what's inside, be it feathers or any textured media.

Aaron Wingert
06-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Those are incredible! Might have to make one of those for the landowner where I pheasant hunt every year.

John Hart
06-07-2010, 5:25 AM
Very pretty!! There's this pheasant that hangs out in my yard. I wonder if he'll donate some body parts??:)

Norm Zax
06-07-2010, 5:56 AM
As close to a quill as they go! Well done
Norm

brian watts
06-07-2010, 6:13 AM
very nice. would like to do this one day..

John Keeton
06-07-2010, 7:32 AM
Stunning effect!! I don't do pens - yet! - but, this process is interesting!! The feathers from a wild turkey have a certain iridescence to them and I wonder if that could be captured in this type of casting. The smaller feathers also have an interesting color pattern to them.

Any thoughts, Joe, or others? I have a couple of turkey fans somewhere out in the shop from which I could get some feathers should someone want to try this. I would be glad to mail them free in exchange for having someone post a pic of a pen done with them!!

Brian, I am betting you have your fair share of turkey feathers, as well!!

Joe Aliperti
06-07-2010, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Stunning effect!! I don't do pens - yet! - but, this process is interesting!! The feathers from a wild turkey have a certain iridescence to them and I wonder if that could be captured in this type of casting. The smaller feathers also have an interesting color pattern to them.

Any thoughts, Joe, or others? I have a couple of turkey fans somewhere out in the shop from which I could get some feathers should someone want to try this. I would be glad to mail them free in exchange for having someone post a pic of a pen done with them!!

John,

Turkey feathers can be used as well. Here's a nice pen that John Underhill has made using them. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here.

http://www.silverlakewoodworks.com/misc/images/turkey_sierra.JPG

I haven't gotten into casting (yet), and I'm not sure i have the steady hand or patience for making feather blanks. So for now, I'll stick to buying them from the masters. ;)

Paul Douglass
06-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Joe, does John have a website or does he just sell through Exotic Blanks or what?

Joe Aliperti
06-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Not as far as I know. You can contact him via PM on the IAP forums (username JohnU) or purchase them from ExoticBlanks.com

Harvey Ghesser
06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Exquisite!

George Morris
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Very nice great work! G

brian watts
06-08-2010, 5:38 AM

yes sir i have a few for sure.. would like to do this if i had the stuff to make the pens with..who can make some of this for me with turkey feathers ?

Donny Lawson
06-26-2010, 1:59 PM
I noticed on the tutorial he used a pressure pot. Is this really necessary?,or can you make on without it? Anyone know if the clear casting resin he used needs any other product to make it set or is the clear resin all you need?
Donny

David Walser
06-26-2010, 2:57 PM
I noticed on the tutorial he used a pressure pot. Is this really necessary?,or can you make on without it? Anyone know if the clear casting resin he used needs any other product to make it set or is the clear resin all you need?
Donny

You need the clear resin and the hardener. The pressure pot is to reduce air bubbles in the casting. Given the porous nature of feathers, I'd think it'd be hard to cast without a lot of bubbles if you don't use a pressure pot. Many use the pressure pot from Harbor Freight -- it's inexpensive and it works.

Steve Schlumpf
06-26-2010, 6:31 PM
Joe - doesn't seem to matter what you use for a pen blank - they all turn out excellent! This is a nice and unexpected change for a pen! Love the colors and patterns! Keep up the good work!

Karl Card
06-26-2010, 8:12 PM
that is what I would call a "high dollar pen". that is nice in every way possible.

I had seen a story in a magazine where a guy did that with feathers but not pheasant feathers. his looked very nice but to be real honest yours is a notch or two above his..

Joe Mioux
06-26-2010, 9:13 PM
ok, i really really like this concept for a pen.... except I am a Quail hunter..
\
I want to learn how to do this.. My office mgr raises Peacocks (not the kind found in Arkansas). I think a Peacock feather would be stunning.

so, how does one make the blank?

joe

Allen Neighbors
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
True excellence! It amazes me that the acrylic makes the feather seem to be right out against the edge of the pen, rather than deep inside, wrapped around the tube. Optical phenomena, I guess.