PDA

View Full Version : Popular woods

Tyler Trowbridge
06-06-2010, 8:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone who has ventured out into selling pieces of furniture or accessories has noticed if there are more popular woods with their customers. I realize a lot depends on the design and how the wood works with it. I figured I would just through this out there anyway. Just curious

Jim Becker
06-06-2010, 9:28 PM
Species choice is both subjective and related to the design/style of the workpiece. While a significant percentage of Stickley pieces were made of QSWO, they were also offered in cherry, especially the Harvey Ellis designs. Shaker styles were made of a great variety of woods (including within a single workpice), but many of us have a hankering to do them in cherry and/or maple, although I've done some end tables in black walnut that look outstanding. The more "formal" styles, especially those with carving, often utilized mahogany (really good mahogany) for it's properties.

Personally, I build in cherry, black walnut and poplar most of the time, but like QSWO, figured maple and English Brown Oak, too. I tend toward Shaker for most furniture, but do some pieces in natural edge Nakashima style, too.

Dave MacArthur
06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but I find myself now interested in these "styles" groupings of furniture, but woefully un-informed. I know what arts&crafts is, and I can recognize Shaker style. And Chippendale. But I find myself reading posts mentioning Stickly, Greene & Green, Modern, Post-Modern, mid-century modern etc. and I find I don't know enough to picture the furniture. So I'm sure I'm missing a lot--my first thought upon reading the Tyler's question was "that depends on the style surely?".

I know most arts/crafts furniture I see is in quarter sawn white oak (QSWO), most "western" stuff is in Mesquite, most of the furniture folks wanted in England when I was there (antiques) needed to be Oak or Walnut. I'm like Jim Becker, every time I decide to build something, I somehow talk myself into making it out of Cherry or Walnut no matter what I start out thinking!

Hopefully this is in-line with Tyler's question, but where is a good online source to learn about all these styles of furniture (and wood-type for each, if they have one), that has a good over-view of it all along with pictures?

Eiji Fuller
06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I am very into contemporary and mid-century modern furniture designs.

Ive worked with alot of African Mahogany though it is not one of my favorites.

I work with alot of Sapele, Wenge, Jatoba.

I find myself gravitating to maple these days though. Figured especially.

I want to revisit alot of mid-century modern designs but with Maple instead of the teak.

Frank Drew
06-07-2010, 9:56 AM
If you're building for yourself or friends (non-remunerative work, in other words), you can use whatever wood you want. For paying customers, though, my experience was that certain woods go in and out of fashion -- maybe walnut is popular for a while, then suddenly everyone wants cherry... or red oak, or whatever. I do know that shortly after I laid in a lot of really nice walnut demand for it among my customers pretty much dried up (in favor of cherry). I think that walnut was seen as too "colonial" or something; shame, considering how beautiful it becomes as it ages.

Tony Bilello
06-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Most of my work is in red oak and padouk, usually combined into the same piece. Both woods have excellent working qualities. My furniture designs are mostly Contemporary

Darnell Hagen
06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
The espresso/parsons look has been pretty popular for a while, I've been mostly walnut for a few years now. I'm looking forward to tastes changing. Walnut makes my nose run.