PDA

View Full Version : Storage of nailer nails

rick carpenter
06-06-2010, 7:07 PM
I have seen comments about nails rusting and gumping up the nailers. How best to store them in a high humidity area, or nothing to worry about?

Neil Brooks
06-06-2010, 7:46 PM
Mine sit in plastic boxes (like Tupperware), with silica gel type (desiccant) packets, to absorb the moisture.

I do the same thing with my biscuits, by the way....

Will Overton
06-06-2010, 9:09 PM
I keep mine in and old, 3 drawer, audio casset storge thingy. My shop is in the garage so humidity is high at times. No problems.

Charles Lent
06-06-2010, 9:28 PM
Mine are in military ammo boxes that I got from an army navy surplus store. Each one is labeled with the size and type of nail, so I don't grab the wrong one.
Almost 2 boxes of nails easily fit in each one so I can add a new box before I have used all of the ones from the last box. The ammo boxes are very well made and water tight when closed, with a strong metal lunch box style handle on top for easy carrying, and they can be bought in almost new condition for $4-5 each.

Charley

Rich Engelhardt
06-07-2010, 6:45 AM
I try to buy as needed anymore & generally look for Porter Cable or Bostitch in the plastic bubble packs for the smaller fasteners.

I made the mistake once of buying some generic green and white box 18ga from Lowes on closeout.
I ended up tossing about 5,000 because they had a slight film of rust form & jammed the gun.