PDA

View Full Version : Not A Turkey, but it still arrived today!

Jim Becker
11-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Golly, I love Lee Valley. At the Woodworks show in Ft Washington PA a few weeks ago, I ordered the Medium Shoulder Plane from them...due to heavy order volume, the delivery would be delayed about 3-4 weeks, but shipping was free. Today, the plane arrived...on Thanksgiving...via FedEX Ground Home Delivery. Whoo Hoo!! Can't complain about that! Time to get to know a new and useful tool...and it looks and feels great right out of the box.

Carole Valentine
11-25-2004, 12:12 PM
:D I want one! And to have arrived on Thanksgiving Day?!!! I don't think anyone delivers here on Thanksgiving day!

Mark Singer
11-25-2004, 1:08 PM
Jim,
Your going to love it! I had the the Stanley 90 in that size...no comparison. I know you saw it in my tool chest;) Now we both have it! I have the big LN...this one is much more manageable and cuts beautiful

John Miliunas
11-25-2004, 4:00 PM
Nice score, Jim! Now then, for the sake of ALL those OTHER folks out there, what the heck is its main use? :confused: :D (Note, I said "other"! :rolleyes: ) :cool:

Tyler Howell
11-25-2004, 4:18 PM
Nice score, Jim! Now then, for the sake of ALL those OTHER folks out there, what the heck is its main use? :confused: :D (Note, I said "other"! :rolleyes: ) :cool:Maybe I can help.
Mine was caught up in the same back order and Brown says they'll bring it tomorrow.
That fine LV shoulder plane will do a sweet job on a dado or the shoulder of a tenon not to mention any other close work.
You need one of these now John!;)

Mark Singer
11-25-2004, 4:34 PM
All these years I have been using it to take the skin off the bird before I soak it in Tung Oil...Tyler...are you sure? Is that Pork shoulder?

Maybe I can help.
Mine was caught up in the same back order and Brown says they'll bring it tomorrow.
That fine LV shoulder plane will do a sweet job on a dado or the shoulder of a tenon not to mention any other close work.
You need one of these now John!;)

Jim Becker
11-25-2004, 4:56 PM
Aside from the "normal" uses for a shoulder plane, Avalino Samuels from the Virgin Islands demonstrated how he does spiral carving on vessels at the AAW Symposium in Orlando a few months ago. He uses a small shoulder plane like this to smooth out the profiles after power carving the patterns...straight plane on a curved surface but it works! I'm thinking of trying his technique one of these days. (For those of you who are in the AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) and get American Woodturner, there is an article that features Avalino's turning school activities and some of his work in the new winter issue that just hit the mail)

Joe Mioux
11-25-2004, 5:29 PM
that is a really good looking little plane

Herb Blair
11-25-2004, 5:52 PM
Great score Jim. Mine is on the way also.

John Weber
11-25-2004, 6:12 PM
I have one on my list as well. Nice Score. I hope you gave the delivery guy a piece of turkey.

John

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-25-2004, 6:22 PM
So shiny Jim - Almost blinds me.

What are you gonna WAX it with, Turtlewax?

GOT to keep that shine goin'.

Bruce

Terry Hatfield
11-25-2004, 6:35 PM
Jim,

That's a nice thing-a-ma-jig deal you got. :D

t

Brad Olson
11-28-2004, 2:41 PM
Got mine the day before turkey day. Review coming soon. So far a nice little unit.

Ed Hardin
11-30-2004, 4:27 PM
I've had mine for a year. Boy is it handy. I find myself picking that thing up at least 10 times a day whether I need to or not! Have a great day.