PDA

View Full Version : A "basic tool set"?

steven c newman
06-06-2010, 1:10 PM
Just a picture of my basic tool set: Now IF I can get these to show up...:confused:

Jim Koepke
06-06-2010, 1:30 PM
Steven,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile does not show your location, anywhere near south west Washington?

I am trying to figure out what is meant by the question.

edit: If it is about the tool set you have pictured, it is missing saws and marking tools to be the basic set.

Is it what do we consider a basic tool set?

Then of course, too many.

For "too few" would someone think, "OK, I will need a hammer, so that will be left in the shop"?

That would be about the same as a missing tool. Hmm, what tool should be missing from my kit today.

Just right would be nice until the situation came up where that would be too few.

I guess if you were thinking of leaving a few out so it would give you a reason to knock off work early because you didn't have the tool you need, "just right" would be a good plan for the occasional early quitting time.

That is if one did not mind their reputation getting a little tarnished.

jim

lowell holmes
06-06-2010, 1:55 PM
As I see it, saws, sharpening system, and ruler or tape are missing.

Bill Whig
06-06-2010, 9:27 PM
No clamps or vises, or a table or bench? How could one even get started?

steven c newman
06-07-2010, 12:15 AM
What the picture shows is a basic set I use for mortise and tenon work. There is a backsaw nearby, the tape measure was in it's "normal" place on my belt (od carpenter habit), and several screwdrivers and such were still in a drawer on my 'toolbench". Now, is there anything else missing here? Hmm.

Stanley Covington
06-07-2010, 1:46 AM
What the picture shows is a basic set I use for mortise and tenon work. There is a backsaw nearby, the tape measure was in it's "normal" place on my belt (od carpenter habit), and several screwdrivers and such were still in a drawer on my 'toolbench". Now, is there anything else missing here? Hmm.

How do you do layout a mortise or a tenon without a marking gage?

How do you cut a tenon without a saw?

No offense, but my wife has more tools in her underwear drawer.

steven c newman
06-07-2010, 2:40 AM
I'll have a knife handy most of the time to mark the lines I need, otherwise, it will be the pencil stuck behind my ear. Saws? there are a few in the shop, just hanging around. That spokeshave comes in handy, but that chisel plane works nicely on tenons. A marking gauge IS on the bench, but most times I'll use the sliding square as a gauge, with a knife or a sharp pencil. I routinely "split" the lines I mark, then go from there. Just a habit of mine. As I said, just a basic,little set of tools.

Bill Whig
06-07-2010, 3:45 AM
Did you or a family member make the wooden plane? Looks like it might be useful as a shoulder plane (though I think it looks like it was designed for rabbit joints).

Bill

Victor Robinson
06-07-2010, 4:35 AM
If it works for you it sounds just right. Who cares what any of us think about it?

steven c newman
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I made the chisel plane, along with three "profile" style planes I needed.

steven c newman
06-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I also made a few of these

Zach England
06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
How do you do layout a mortise or a tenon without a marking gage?

How do you cut a tenon without a saw?

No offense, but my wife has more tools in her underwear drawer.

I don;t think this forum is for THOSE kinds of tools!

James Taglienti
06-07-2010, 1:31 PM
:eek:

Stanley Covington
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I don;t think this forum is for THOSE kinds of tools!
I didn't realize even the mention of power tools was forbidden. :confused:Sackcloth and ashes.

Stan;)