PDA

View Full Version : rough sizing -- how much oversize?

Tom Henderson2
06-06-2010, 1:06 PM
OK -- another noob-type question for consideration this morning.

I'm a mixed-mode woodworker -- meaning I use a table saw for sizing the lumber but use handtools for surfacing, jointing, thicknessing, etc.

How much oversize would you folks suggest I cut the workpieces when making the initial cuts? By this I mean when cutting up a large board into blanks for the individual project pieces.

In this case, the project is the Stickley plant stand that was featured in Woodworking Mag (Winter 2008). Material will be either cherry or red oak.

The stock I'm using was surfaced fairly well by the vendor; still some planer marks showing but not bad. Not much warp or Wind either.

So... I'm thinking that adding something like ~1/4" to the width, and ~1/2" to the length of most pieces would be adequate, but I'm wondering how you more experienced folks would handle this.

A related question, there will be mortices cut into the top of the legs. How much additional material should I add to the length to provide a "horn" to avoid blowouts when I chop the mortices? One inch? Two?

Thanks in advance.... and I hope the question makes sense.

-Tom in Ventura

Jim Koepke
06-06-2010, 4:06 PM
For some good information on mortising see Bob Smalser's post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13246

As far as how much over size my boards are ripped, it depends on how straight the ripping will be. By hand more will be allowed than if done on a band saw which is more then is needed than if done on a table saw with a fence. The more you allow, the more you have to remove.

For length, just enough to be able to true it up on a shooting board.

I also try to make things so that if it is 1/16 of an inch off it is not going to ruin the whole project.

jim