PDA

View Full Version : PC333 ROS H&L Pads

Stan Smith
04-03-2003, 7:24 PM
My 333 h&l pad gave up today. It lasted a number of years so I'm not complaining. Found a service center via Yahoo and called them for a replacement. As I was ordering, it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a spare on hand since I'm refinishing the kitchen cabinets. Just wondering if there is someway to rejuvenate the pads since they cost $20 a piece.

Stan

Steve Clardy
04-03-2003, 7:30 PM
I gave up on the hook and loop pads. Wore them out to often, to expensive to replace. I converted back to PSA pads. Lots cheaper in price, and also quite a bit of savings on paper disc costs. I can buy a box of 100 PSA for a couple dollars more than what a box of 50 H&L cost. Steve

Keith Outten
04-04-2003, 6:24 AM
Stan,

I have several of these sanders and have had to buy more replacememt pads than I care to think about. The manufacturer says that these pads will not last if you put downward pressure on the sander. I just thought I would share this little tidbit, it really makes a difference in the lifespan of the pads and they can't be reconditioned.

I've used the adhesive backed disks for years. I really like the H&L disks better as they are easy and quick to replace, but this is only important when time is an issue. My shop techniques change drastically when I am working on personal jobs versus commercial work. When we do commercial work we use the disks for just a few minutes and toss em, time is money.

Stan Smith
04-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'm sure that I put too much pressure on my tools. That's why I bought a couple of belt sanders for the heavy duty stuff. I did have psa on my Fein sander, but found that they would stick too much and leave residue on the pads when I took the paper off. Also, I was changing grits pretty often. I'm now using my little 1/4" sheet sander until those 333 pads get here. It is no where near as good as the 333. I also have a dewalt 6" ros for bigger stuff. I guess I'm just stuck on the 333. My case is hopless <g>.

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Say Stan
I use "Google" for my searches most of the time.
So went to Google and looked up Porter Cable 13904
Well I thought that I saw them for $12.00 late last year - I wore one out too.
I bought mine locally for $20.00 as you have found.
But now have found them for $14.06 at Tyler Tool.
I've done your work - now go and get em!
OR do some more searching on Google and see if you can find the $12.00 + price I saw them for after I bought mine for $20. We all have to be dummies sometime.
I've learned my lesson - I hope.

Jim Stastny
04-04-2003, 4:53 PM
When mine wore out I found a replacement at Home Depot for around $12.00

Stan Smith
04-04-2003, 5:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. I guess I was too lazy to seqrch further than the PC Service Center. It didn't dawn on me to look anywhere else for parts. I sure will next time though. The pads may be here today via ups.

Jason Roehl
04-04-2003, 6:18 PM
Stan, another, cheaper alternative is to buy the kits for replacing just the hook part. Basically, you sand off the remaining hooks, then glue on a new hook disc. When that wears out, you rip it off and glue on a new one. I think it was about $6 at a big box for a kit to fix two pads (or one pad twice). Been using mine for about 3 years or so, with about 6-8 months on the new hook disc so far..and the hooks are still real good.