PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Planer combo

Ray McCullie
06-06-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm looking at getting a combo unit to save space. Any suggestions/warnings?

I know there is JET, are there any others?

Mike Reinholtz
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I have separate machines now, but started with a Jet 10" combo benchtop unit. After using the separate machine I confidently say the Jet was more of a hassle and health hazard than it was worth. If all you are going to do is work with VERY small and light pieces then it's fine, but if you use any material that has some weight those machines are quick to tip over. I added a small shelf and 100lbs in workout plates to stop that from happening a second time.

If you can get a floor mount 12" combo then I say go for it, I got a chance to play with the Grizzly running a spiral cutter and was shocked at the performance.

Rod Sheridan
06-06-2010, 2:06 PM
Hi, I have a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer and can't say enough good things about it.

Zero snipe, powerful, accurate, high quality machine great surface finish, good space savings and value for the dollar.

Knife changes take a maximum of 5 minutes with no adjustment required.

Clip on table extensions make the machine as large or as small as you require.

I have the digital height readout on mine, settings are repeatable to 0.01mm.

Regards, Rod.

Ted Calver
06-06-2010, 2:14 PM
+1 on the Hammer A3/31...I wouldn't part with mine, except to move up to a larger version.

Mike Gottlieb
06-06-2010, 2:24 PM
+2 on the Hammer A3-31. Great machine!

Phil Thien
06-06-2010, 3:32 PM
If you're talking about the small Jet units w/ universal motor, I'm not sure this would be a good choice. I know someone that got one of these and the tables were impossible to precisely align.

Scot Ferraro
06-06-2010, 4:11 PM
+3 on the Hammer J/P...I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and still going as strong today as the day I bought it.

Scot

Ben West
06-06-2010, 4:33 PM
I have had this for nearly 2 years and am very happy with it. I became enamored with the concept of the spiral carbide cutterhead, and the Grizzly was the only model at the time with this feature. It has been flawless in operation thus far.

Bas Pluim
06-06-2010, 4:48 PM
I have the JET 12" jointer/ planer with helical cutterhead, and I've been very happy with it. Note that the 12" machine is quite different than the JET b3nchtop 8" and 10" machines.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-06-2010, 8:44 PM
Another happy Hammer 12" JP owner who wouldn't trade it for anything but a Felder, maybe a Martin, but nothing else out there.

Jim Becker
06-06-2010, 9:32 PM
There are quite a few choices for J/P combos and I'm a fan of the format. (I own a MiniMax J/P) Jet and Grizzly started offering some value priced machines a couple years ago and there are number of 'Creekers who opted for them. There are also a number of us who own MiniMax, Hammer and Felder J/P machines which go for a "bit" more cash, but also offer more features and refinements.

Van Huskey
06-06-2010, 9:44 PM
First as mentioned the Jet 8/10" combos are cheap and cheaply made.

The Jet and Grizzly combos particularly with helical heads are well received and reviewed in the ~$2500 range.

If you have $1000 or more above that there are some excellent Euro machines (the basic A3-31 is about the cheapest except maybe the Rojek and the former is on sale now for $3358 shipped).

If you are on the verge of building a shop and space is an issue I would look at one of the fine Euro 5 in 1 machines, they look like a lot of money but thay are very well made and actually less money than a "set" of American "design" machines. This praise is coming from a VERY non-combo machine kinda guy!

Alan Mikkelsen
06-06-2010, 9:57 PM
Totally satisfied Grizzly G0634 owner. Set up perfectly from factory, absolutely no issues with this machine.

Eiji Fuller
06-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Just put the byrd head in my Hammer it is now AWESOME!

twas nice before but the straight knives were tearing my figured woods.

Mark Carlson
06-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Eiji, That combo does sound awesome. Does byrd now sell a head specifically for the Hammer or is it a generic 12in head. Or better yet does Hammer offer this as an option?

Has anyone bought the mortising option for the Hammer?

~mark

Just put the byrd head in my Hammer it is now AWESOME!

twas nice before but the straight knives were tearing my figured woods.

John Coloccia
06-06-2010, 10:50 PM
I have the Jet 12" (JJP-12) and am very satisfied. The 10" model is nothing like the 12". The 12" is a serious woodworking machine.

The Jet has some advantages over some of the other models. I especially like that I don't have to remove the fence, or even move the fence, to go from jointing to planing. The operation takes less than 30 seconds. I also like the European blade guard although some of the others have that as well.

Eiji Fuller
06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I ordered the byrd head through Felder. It was much cheaper through them vs ordering from Byrd.

It is now offered as an 800.00 upgrade when you order the machine. The head is made specifically for the A331.

The changeover wasnt too difficult but it took a good 3 1/2hrs to swap out the old head and get everything back together and dialed in.

David Dalzell
06-07-2010, 12:41 AM
I've had the Grizzly G0634 for about one year now. Great machine and I would buy it again. It takes less than one minute to switch between jointer and planer operation.

Ray McCullie
06-07-2010, 3:22 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I think most of you have more money then I. Space was the main concern but I can't afford a $2000 machine right now. Gotta get my woman that new fridge first.. I was hoping even the 10" JET would be worth it but I didn't really believe. It's too bad their small machines aren't as well made..

Ben West
06-08-2010, 8:29 PM
Ray....you might check out the new Grizzly G0675 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Jointer-Planer-Combo/G0675). It's considerably less than the other models and, though it's not as big or heavy, it's no benchtop model either (weighs in at nearly 400 pounds). Could be an option for you.

Alan Lightstone
06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I have the Laguna 12" SCM combo. Nice machine, especially jointing, but dust collection is definitely suboptimal. Working on modifying it now, but why should I have to?

Also wish it had a digital readout for planing. Not sure how to make one work with it, but I'll try at some point.

Curt Harms
06-09-2010, 9:48 AM
I have the Laguna 12" SCM combo. Nice machine, especially jointing, but dust collection is definitely suboptimal. Working on modifying it now, but why should I have to?

Also wish it had a digital readout for planing. Not sure how to make one work with it, but I'll try at some point.

I'm not familiar with Laguna at all but I made a Wixey work on my Jet JJP-12 and you might be able to do something similar if you're interested. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87606&highlight=wixey
The only problem I had with it is being mounted upside down, the spring that holds the scale in places seems to have weakened. I was getting strange readings and thought the head was wacky. It turns out the scale was moving as the planer bed moved up and down. I've rigged a spring loaded prop to keep the scale from moving and so far so good. The numbers read with a negative sign in front of them but are correct.

Van Huskey
06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Check into the Wixey as Curt mentions if you want a DRO. Their site has a bunch of pictures of how customers have rigged them to many different planers.