PDA

View Full Version : Dewaxed vs waxy shellac flake storage question

jonathan king
06-06-2010, 11:58 AM
After lurking and searching through all the threads on shellac flakes, I have a few questions.

What is the shelf-life difference between unwaxed orange and unwaxed platina shellac?
Is it better to store the flakes in the freezer or ridge? I figured the constant opening of the fridge would result in temp/humidity jumps. Perhaps the freezer is a more stable/constant environment?
If the freezer and fridge are not good options; what about storing the flakes in an airtight bag, then place that bag in another ziplock bag which has some silica gel in it to absorb the excess humidity?

The relative humidity of the home can vary between 55-80% depending on the weather, so storing the flakes in a dark closet would not appear to be sufficient.

Neal Clayton
06-06-2010, 12:41 PM
a full ziplock bag is fine. freezing them will stop them from sticking together, which is good, heat will cause them to get sticky and glob up. but you can always just grind them back up.

Scott Holmes
06-06-2010, 5:09 PM
I keep mine the the shop fridge, in sealed 1 oz, 2 oz and pound bags, stored in a large plastic coffee "can".

Prashun Patel
06-06-2010, 8:28 PM
My experience with garnet vs superblonde shellac is that they take the same time to dissolve in alcohol. Therefore, I doubt the color makes a diff in the shelf life.

jonathan king
06-07-2010, 7:40 PM
The shellac came in.Interestingly, it has an expiration date of December 2010. I put the bag in a Ziploc freezer bag and put in back if the fridge.

any thoughts on this expiration date on the bag?

Scott Holmes
06-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Should be good til 2020.

jonathan king
06-08-2010, 6:47 AM
sorry to ask the dumb question: why would it good to 2020?

Prashun Patel
06-08-2010, 8:10 AM
The shellac came in.Interestingly, it has an expiration date of December 2010. I put the bag in a Ziploc freezer bag and put in back if the fridge.

any thoughts on this expiration date on the bag?

Expiration dates have to take into account the way the avg person will store the product. They also take into account the manufacturer's desire to sell more product. Expiration dates are usually overly conservative. At least, that's how we establish them for our chemical products.

jonathan king
06-08-2010, 7:15 PM
Thanks, Shawn. I was thinking that was the case.

Scott Holmes
06-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I just picked a date far out there shelf life is almost indefinite if the flakes are properly stored.

Jerry Olexa
06-15-2010, 9:42 AM
Flakes generally never expire if properly stored....When combined with DA, the aging begins...