PDA

View Full Version : Incra TS fence

Randy Rizzo
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Anyone using the Incra fence? Likes, dis-likes? Better options, Vega? I need to upgrade the TS fence and I'm considering the Incra with a router table on the left side with a router lift.

Bill LaPointe
06-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Randy,

I have had one on my Uni for about a year. (Replaced the original Unifence.) I have the same setup that you are considering except my router table and lift are on the right. I have really enjoyed the precision and repeatability. The support at Incra is superb as are the installation and assembly instructions. It does require room for the arm to travel so make sure you have the room. I downloaded the manual prior to buying the actual fence. For me it was money well spent.

Chris Harry
06-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Anyone using the Incra fence? Likes, dis-likes? Better options, Vega? I need to upgrade the TS fence and I'm considering the Incra with a router table on the left side with a router lift.

I have an older version (the Ultra TS-II), but I love it. Replaced the stock fence from my Ridgid 4511 with it. I also have the 17" LS super system on my standalone router table. Would love to upgrade the TS to the LS (leadscrew) version, but the original sawtooth works so well I dont need to.

Somewhat decent prices on Ebay for the TS-LS setup, actually.

Van Huskey
06-06-2010, 11:12 AM
I love mine for the accuracy and repeatability. My only real negative is I sometimes miss the ability to toss around a heavy fence due to its speed and something about the mass is reassuring. I have my original PM2000 fence and if I like it better I would put it back on. The only fence that I would consider instead is a Biesmeyer or my Accufence but still prefer the Incra, however if it was not also used as a router fence I would be 50/50 for the money since I already had an excellent fence, if I had to buy a new fence even if it was just for the TS only I would still get an Incra.

Will Blick
06-06-2010, 1:47 PM
Randy, I also have the same set up....

Of course, Incra TS system has been reviewed ad nauseum, and I sure you have read lots of the threads...so just a few comments to help ya decide...

The Wood Whisperer got rid of his Incra TS fence...it was way to cumbersome and time consuming for his style...this is very understandble for some... if you only need to get close on a cut, the Incra is a bad choice. Some people hand plane to final dimension...but if you want accurate and repeatable cuts, this fence shines.

The biggest downer for me was 2 things, which both I solved....

For fixed system, where you only move the fence up n back, you need the long positioner, I think 32"...so sometimes it can exend way back, always bumping into it, taking up lots of space... so instead, I bought the very short positioner, 17"... now it's not a nuissance. But how do I make cuts wider than 17" ? Simple, I have a few pre cut pieces of plastic, that are 15" each...this gets me new zero settings at different points, with minimal effort. What I like about this is... when I use the router, I do NOT have to remove the incra fence system.... just slide it to towards the blade... what a releif, makes switching between router and TS a breeze....

For many rough cuts, often I don't want to dink around with setting the fence... specially with my shortened positioner. This is where the full size 32" positioner is helpful.... so I am rigging up a Wixey DRO to the fence, so I always have a simple and fast way to get a cut within 1/64th along the entire max distance.

My only complaint about the system is.... the fence itself has only one knob to tighten after set, of course the knob is on the infeed side... the other end of the fence is held in the rail with an allen screw... and acts as a friction drag / aligner. So you never tighten that one taught... (unless you are cutting lots of wood at that setting, its worth the effort) but when not tightened, at times, the fence will move on that rail quite a bit... I am not sure why incra did not provide a thumb knob for that side as well.... I will call them to find out if they can send me one... its annoying...I feel more secure when both sides of the fence are locked down...this fence is light weight, unlike traditional TS fences...but when the other side is locked down, its rock solid.

Bryan Hunt
06-06-2010, 4:11 PM
Randy,

I have the Incra TS LS system with a router table on the left side of the tablesaw. As others have mentioned, the fence is highly accurate. The router table fence is very nice for jointery. I did finger joints for eight trays this weekend and it was a cinch. My only complaint is that the fence is a pain to remove when cross cutting long boards. When I first installed the fence, it was not 90 degrees to the table. I had to put a foil shim between the positioner and the fence to get it 90.

Chip Lindley
06-06-2010, 5:57 PM
There is no arguing the precision of the Incra TS fence. But, it's form has always bothered me. That central track arm takes up the whole right side of the TS's extension table. Most large TS extension tables are used as a handy assembly surface! As said, it's a pain to dismount and mount again. And it remains in the way of a router lift installed to the right. I have an Exaktor slider to the left, so that side is out of the question for the lift. I'll pass.

Randy Rizzo
06-06-2010, 7:05 PM
Thanks Gents! I knew going in the Incra would need a lot more space than a standard rip fence. Two things concern me, it's been mentioned that it's a pain to remove the fence, is there more set up work to do to re-install or is it just a time consuming endeavor. Second, Will mentioned the outfeed end of the fence had a tendency move unless the allen screw was tightened, has that movement caused anyone problems?

Heather Thompson
06-06-2010, 8:47 PM
Randy,

I have had the TSIII on my PM66 for a number of years and simply love it. The issue of removing the fence is no big deal, when you first install the system and get it zeroed in Incra supplies two bolt and washer assemblies that go in the front and back rail, slide them up until they are touching the bridge that secures the positioner and tighten them down. Removing the fence is less than a minute and replacing is about the same, I always check to be sure I am dead on but 99% of the time it is right there. The issue of the fence moving on the outfeed end of the fence has never caused me any problem, if you wanted to upgrade the allen screw a quick trip to the local hardware store should solve that.
I also use the Wonder Fence with the system for router table work and also can not say enough positives there either.

Heather