PDA

View Full Version : Another You tube video

GLENN THOMAS
06-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Thought some of you might find this interesting. I have never seen a tool like the guy in this video is using and have never seen any tool used in this manner before. The chucking method he uses is something Ive never seen before either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc4mD8t-xOs&feature=sub

Matt Hutchinson
06-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, the Japanese methods of turning are pretty interesting. There is also a video at the woodworkingchannel.com under the AAW vids. Really cool stuff. Thanks for sharing! I can't learn enough turning techniques..... :D

Hutch

Curt Fuller
06-06-2010, 11:33 AM
What I found interesting is where the lathe is turning in reverse and he's working on the far side of the bowl.

alex carey
06-06-2010, 12:58 PM
wow, never seen someone turn like that. Hes like 8" over the tool rest and the tool isn't even very long.

Andrew Kertesz
06-06-2010, 2:21 PM
Did anybody notice that his tool rest is NOT stationary and he moves it with a little hop when moving his chisels?

GLENN THOMAS
06-06-2010, 2:33 PM
I was looking at this video again and noticed that he never reaches for a switch when he stops the lathe. There are 2 levers on the headstock on both sides of the spindle that move up and down when the lathe starts and stops. One for forward and one for reverse.

Allen Neighbors
06-06-2010, 3:29 PM
That's rich!! Thanks for posting this. How many of us are going to try some of that "reverse turning technique" tomorrow? I think I may just have to give it a try. But I don't think I'll try that sort of a toolrest. :D

Matt Newton
06-06-2010, 4:16 PM
That was cool!!! He can change the height of the tool rest by moving it side to side. The rest isn't parallel to the table. His kimono sleeves made me a little nervous, but is obviously doesn't matter to him. Thanks Glenn for posting this.

Wally Dickerman
06-06-2010, 4:19 PM
What? None of you folks have seen jamb chuck turning? That was a pretty standard way of holding turnings for lots of operations many years ago. You newbies are all spoiled with modern day chucks etc.:) (A newbie is someone who has been turning for less than 20 years)...well okay, 15 years...

The tools he was using are hook tools. Used a lot in Europe and by some turners in the US. Mostly used for hollowing though. He used hook tools for everything. I've tried it. There's a learning curve. Catches can be pretty exciting deep into a HF.

I've seen Japanese turners in a demo. Their tool rest system is hard to imagine doing. Works for them.

Jeff Fagen
06-06-2010, 4:39 PM
If there is a catch he's going to have a sore armpit.

Larry Marley
06-06-2010, 5:24 PM
Yeah, the Japanese methods of turning are pretty interesting. There is also a video at the woodworking channel.com under the AAW vids. Really cool stuff. Thanks for sharing! I can't learn enough turning techniques..... :D

Hutch

Like Matt said,
the woodworking channel has a video that explains the Japanese technique.

charlie knighton
06-06-2010, 5:50 PM
Did anybody notice that his tool rest is NOT stationary and he moves it with a little hop when moving his chisels?

yeah, i had to play that again, i stop the lathe to move the tool rest

A newbie is someone who has been turning for less than 20 years

i guess i am a newbie and will be for several more years :D

that was new to me, whats new is old and what old will become new

they just need some oak to turn :D

GLENN THOMAS
06-06-2010, 5:58 PM
Ive seen jam chucks before but what I hve not seen is a wood chuck with the nails or pins around the perimeter. Oh well I guess Im a little smarter now than I was a few hours ago.

Paul Douglass
06-06-2010, 6:19 PM
Well, I've never seen a Japanese with sideburns... That was great. They always make it look so easy, but that is probably all he does is turn those bowls, day, after day, after day.

Thanks for posting.

Bruce Pratt
06-06-2010, 8:02 PM
That's rich!! Thanks for posting this. How many of us are going to try some of that "reverse turning technique" tomorrow? I think I may just have to give it a try. But I don't think I'll try that sort of a toolrest. :D

When doing the inside of narrow deep end grain vases, I do reverse turning with a Hunter. I lets me see a little better what I am cutting. Never really thought much about it, just seemed a reasonable approach.
---------
Bruce Pratt

Mike Minto
06-06-2010, 8:37 PM
Domo arigato gozaimasu!

Barry ward
06-06-2010, 9:26 PM
DANG and I been cussin the banjo on my Nova 1624.I'm gettin a one way banjo for it.Don't think his tool rest could handle my Kel McNaughton coring tool :rolleyes:

May God Bless
Ken

Neil Strong
06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah, similar to western pole lathe turning technique. I'm sure videos of Robin Wood turning bowls have been posted on the forum before, but in case anyone has not seen him, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch#%21v=tDgIGzw4VtA&feature=related) he is in action.

Mark Burge
06-07-2010, 7:26 PM
Well, I don't think I'll try the reverse turning but I like the idea of turning in my pajamas! Except, I bet those shavings itch a bit.

I've seen homemade hook tools on the web before, but I never thought about using them on the opposite side in reverse.

David DeCristoforo
06-07-2010, 7:31 PM
Love it. This is so "Japanese". Simple bowls, basic tools, incomprehensibly precise technique. This guy has probably turned these bowls every day for most of his life. And those simple looking, unhandled hook tools? Betcha lunch they are some kind of wonky hand forged laminated sword steel and sharp enough to shave with...

Reed Gray
06-08-2010, 1:14 AM
I got to watch some of this up in Portland when the AAW symposium was there. Very interesting. End grain turning, some sort of pine I believe, and they forge their own tools out of carbon steel.

robo hippy

John Hart
06-08-2010, 6:37 AM
I think he looks like he is in too big a hurry. Slow down man!!! Enjoy life a bit! :)

Jim Underwood
06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
The way he makes it look so easy, I'd guess he's turned thousands of these bowls, and has made these cuts so many times he could almost do them in his sleep.

Is he driving those blanks onto the nails, or "jamming" them inside the opening?