PDA

View Full Version : Cutting T-track: what method?

Jay Yoder
06-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Just curious how you'all cut the aluminum t-track? I have used a hack saw before, but was thinking that b/c it is aluminum and is soft, that I could use my miter saw? Just curious how that would work (if at all)...

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Aluminum cuts fine on a miter saw, or a table saw with a cutoff sled. Just make sure you use a carbide tipped blade, the more teeth the better, and a negative hook angle is preferred.

Rich Engelhardt
06-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Yep - miter saw w/carbide blade.
Needless to say, just take it slow and easy.

A friend of mine uses a 28T blade, but, I'm not quite as brave.

I use a 40T.

Van Huskey
06-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I use the miter saw, I have a non-ferrous blade but I have also used a abrasive cutoff wheel. I keep one of my old 10" CMS set up with one for the occasional metal or unusual material cut, plus they are CHEAP.

Myk Rian
06-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I use a hacksaw and a file to clean up the edges. Too much trouble changing a blade just to make a couple cuts in T-track.

Will Overton
06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Just because, I used a Multimaster last time. It gave a nice clean cut.

David G Baker
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I keep one of my band-saws set up for cutting aluminum. I use a fine toothed blade and it works great.

Howard Acheson
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Use the highest tooth count blade you have and you can cut aluminum track just fine.

Bruce Page
06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Miter saw, hacksaw, band saw, or table saw, any will work. There’s not enough material in a t-track to even worry about changing blades. OK, I wouldn’t use my best TS blade but I wouldn’t run and buy a “special” metal cutting blade either.

I’d use my hacksaw...

Ellen Benkin
06-06-2010, 2:02 PM
You can use a miter saw but be sure to wear safety glasses. An aluminum shard in the eye is not fun.

Ray McCullie
06-06-2010, 2:11 PM
I stick with a vise and a hack saw, it's just plain less hassle. Mark a line and you're good. File the edge a little, which you'll have to do anyway.

Unless you're gonna cut it all day long, why waste time and risk metal shavings getting in your wood tools and causing problems?

Rod Sheridan
06-06-2010, 2:32 PM
Hacksaw works fine, I use my horizontal metal bandsaw for cutting metal........Rod.

mreza Salav
06-06-2010, 2:54 PM
I would use a hack saw for such a thin material as the risk of using a miter saw isn't worth it, but if you do use it make sure you use higher teeth number and go SLOWLY.
The danger is if you push the saw down too fast, before it get's a chance to cut it the teeth will grab it and it won't be fun...

Gerry Grzadzinski
06-06-2010, 3:59 PM
I'm just curious. Have those claiming that using a miter saw isn't worth the "risk" or "hassle", ever cut aluminum with one?

Because it really cuts almost like wood. Seems to me that cutting it on a miter or table saw, which takes a few seconds and leaves a mirror smooth and square edge, is a lot less hassle than using a hacksaw, and subsequently trying to file a square edge.
:)

Michael Peet
06-06-2010, 5:50 PM
SCMS with stock blade. Seriously, aluminum is soft. That's how I cut the track on this project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137741).

Mike

Jay Yoder
06-06-2010, 5:59 PM
I'm just curious. Have those claiming that using a miter saw isn't worth the "risk" or "hassle", ever cut aluminum with one?

Because it really cuts almost like wood. Seems to me that cutting it on a miter or table saw, which takes a few seconds and leaves a mirror smooth and square edge, is a lot less hassle than using a hacksaw, and subsequently trying to file a square edge.
:)

That was my thought too. I am not really skilled with a hacksaw and thought that my Delta CMS with a 60 tooth blade would probably be the quickest way for me to do it. I just don't want to trash my blade, which from the sounds of it, doesn't sound like it is much of a possibility, but there is always a first time...:)

Bill Huber
06-06-2010, 8:23 PM
I have an old plywood blade that I keep around just for that job. I put it in the table saw and do all my cutting, square and clean.

Now I do use and aluminum magnet to keep the filings from going everywhere:rolleyes: