PDA

View Full Version : Inches of mercury on the DC

Mitchell Andrus
06-06-2010, 8:40 AM
I've got a radon.... I dunno.... fan... in my house that runs all the time and the tube leading to the fan has a "dynameter" (that's what's printed on it) that lets you know how hard it's sucking.

Has anyone put one on their DC to help work out the best balance of gates open/closed, pipe sizes, motor load, etc?

Brian Cover
06-06-2010, 9:48 AM
What you want is a manometer. Static pressure is measured in inches. The actual measurements are water column inches; not mercury. You can buy a calibrated water kit at HF for under $10 or you can buy a digital meter for under $30. Professional magnahelic gauges are $100+

The cheap units will work for you since you are trying to measure over 3"

The cheap digital units do not accurately measure under 2"

Mitchell Andrus
06-06-2010, 10:18 AM
This forum has all the answers. Thanks.

Anybody do it?

John Lanciani
06-06-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.amazon.com/UEi-EM150-EM151-Electronic-Manometer/dp/B000OUV2D0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275835274&sr=8-2

This is what I use, mostly to monitor filter condition but I also used it to set up my system. One important note; you need to be able to measure in inches of water, not mercury.

Paul Greathouse
06-06-2010, 5:02 PM
Mitchell, I have the "Filter Efficiency Gauge" that came with my Oneida cyclone. I don't recall exactly what kind of meter it is but it measures the air flow just before the filter. It has a 1-5 scale and runs at about 2 with a clean filter. You do get a noticable change on the gauge when opening and closing blast gates but I don't know if it would do exactly what you want it.

Mitchell Andrus
06-06-2010, 6:18 PM
I've got a radon.... I dunno.... fan... in my house that runs all the time and the tube leading to the fan has a "dynameter" (that's what's printed on it) that lets you know how hard it's sucking.

Has anyone put one on their DC to help work out the best balance of gates open/closed, pipe sizes, motor load, etc?

I'm really just curious to see if anyone who's had a drop-dead "perfect' installation designed and installed actually got a measurable match to the design's promise of the perfect balance of efficiency and function... y'know, elbows, gates opening and closing and all that.

I used one of those on-line services and got 2 different designs. I made mine as close as I could given the need to miss a few obstacles and to allow for future expansion. Works fine but would likely fail tough scrutiny but an engineer who works with this stuff all of the time