PDA

View Full Version : Using cat fur to apply a finish

Cesar Vega
06-06-2010, 1:00 AM
Have you ever tried that?
Me neither, but now I know how it should look like.

Some time ago, I was eavesdroping on my local Homedepot and heard an employee recomended a guy to use a Camel Brush to apply Polyshades.
I've always used syntetic or white china bristel, Finish Factor or Woosted. and worked very good, so I found that weird. I've seen those brushes before, but never used one.

So, I decided to try the camel brush with polyshade for a very small project and all I could get was hair and more hair in my finish... so much that I had to remove what I was doing so far and started again with my normal brushes, then forgot about it.

Months later, I saw the brush and decided to give it a second chance, and see if it could help to apply polyurethane, since it's so thin, and........ no, it doesn't work with that either... again, hair and more hair in the finish.

Today I made a search on this forums and not for my surprise I found just one single reference to a camel brush being used for a very specific task, which I didn't even understand what was.

So, I suppose, nobody uses those brushed. Me neither now.
What are they supposed to be for?

John Coloccia
06-06-2010, 8:03 AM
Cat fur is fine although it's extremely difficult to get the cat to stay still. Hissing, scratching etc. If you can stand the noise, though, you'll be rewarded with a beautiful finish.

:D

Camel hair (which is actually from horses, ox, etc etc....everything but camels) is predominantly used by artists. Watercolors. I can't think of any reason why I'd ever use a camel hair brush for painting/finishing although I'm sure people do and have good reason to.

But give that cat fur a try. Don't tell the lady at the pet store what you plan on using it for.

Belinda Barfield
06-06-2010, 8:19 AM
If you guys are interested in trying the cat fur let me know. I'll be vacuuming today and I'd be happy to empty the canister into a shipping box. One run with the vacuum cleaner retrieves cat hair approximately equal to one small cat. :rolleyes:

Prashun Patel
06-06-2010, 8:30 AM
Hair in the finish means the brush is poorly constructed - it's not a function of the actual material used. The difference between synthetic and natural hair brushes is mainly that they absorb waterbased and oilbased finishes differently.

Zach England
06-06-2010, 9:18 AM
Sometimes my cat walks on something with a drying finish on it. It usually does not improve the results.

David G Baker
06-06-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree with Shawn. A good natural hair brush can cost quite a bit more than run of the mill cheapos.

Greg Peterson
06-06-2010, 11:16 AM
meeeeeooow.

Michael Weber
06-06-2010, 11:22 AM
If you guys are interested in trying the cat fur let me know. I'll be vacuuming today and I'd be happy to empty the canister into a shipping box. One run with the vacuum cleaner retrieves cat hair approximately equal to one small cat. :rolleyes:

Belinda, if you want to get really rich selling cat hair, get a "Fuminator" brush (actually looks more like a comb) at a local pet supply store. Unbelievable what they get off of a cat. Helps a lot with the shedding. My wife brushes her cat and gets hand fulls of hair each time she uses it (sometimes daily). You would think the cat would be bald after a few uses but the dang hair just keeps coming.

Dave Ogren
06-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I sure don't know about a cat hair brush. I would think that a cat would make a good bowl buffer, if you could stand the scratching and bitting.

But on a more serious note the best brushes make for pinstriping with enamel are made from Russian Siberian grey squirrel tail hair. because they hold a greater volume of paint.

Dave

Stuart Tierney
06-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Hmm, untapped market...

I do know they use what is called a 'mouse hair brush' for applying urushi lacquer (the glass smooth Japanese lacquer) and then polish with powdered deer horn.

I even asked a guy who makes a living doing urushi "Who shaves the mice for the brushes?" but the joke didn't translate into Japanese very well because he made no reaction.

Maybe he was responsible for any rodent shaving goings on?

And what do you sharpen a razor made for meeses with? :confused:

(Seriously, the brushes are, I think, made with rabbit fur and cost more than your small can of polyurethane does each.

Not a viable finish for a set of drawers unless you are very wealthy. But the stuff is heat and moisture resistant and direct contact food safe once it's cured.)

Paul Greathouse
06-06-2010, 4:45 PM
If you get the cat drunk first then you don't have to worry about the scratching and biting. He sure will have a confused look on his face when he sobers up though.

Kittens work great for small touch up jobs.

Rick Prosser
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Can't wait to see the YouTube tutorial:D

David Weaver
06-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Maybe dunk the cat in epoxy first to secure the hairs to the cat. It's really annoying to be brushing clear finish and then have hairs left in it.

Ken Garlock
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Gentlemen, now take it easy regarding the use of cat fur.

My Dad taught me at a very young age that you used

CAT FUR TO MAKE KITTEN BRITCHES. :D

When I was a preschooler I would stop by a task my father was doing and of course ask what cha doing? He would give me some answer to which I replied with 'what fur'? After several iterations what fur, he would reply with cat fur to make kitten britches!

Some things just stick with you.:)

paul cottingham
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Belinda, if you want to get really rich selling cat hair, get a "Fuminator" brush (actually looks more like a comb) at a local pet supply store. Unbelievable what they get off of a cat. Helps a lot with the shedding. My wife brushes her cat and gets hand fulls of hair each time she uses it (sometimes daily). You would think the cat would be bald after a few uses but the dang hair just keeps coming.

+1 on the comb. My old cat comes running when she hears it rattle. If anyone needs pounds of cat hair let me know, (May be a slight exaggeration.);)