PDA

View Full Version : Tools for neander purposes

Dave Beauchesne
06-06-2010, 12:19 AM
A bit of a gloat as well as ' show off ' of some tools I recently made.

I am on holidays next week, and will be taking ' Making Wooden Hand Planes and Stock Preparation ' at the Inside Passage School of Fine Woodworking ten miles down the road in Roberts Creek, British Columbia.

The school is run by Robert Van Norman, and is heavily Krenov based in its philosophies / style. Students from across the globe come here, and since I live here, all the planets lined up and I start Monday for the 40 hour course.

I know, I probably could muster up the courage to go at a plane or two myself, but having been self taught ( for the most part ) I always enjoy good teacher(s).

Tools necessary ( that I did not have ) are a burnisher for scrapers, a chipbreaker screw screwdeiver, and a plane hammer; the bunisher is a polished carbide milling machine rod ( Santos Rosewood handle ), plane hammer of polished brass, ebony wedge, whipped Santos Rosewood handle that is turned off centre for a bit of an oval profile c/w a leather face one side ( thanks Derek for the suggestion ) , and the driver is an unknown rosewood species, hand hammered copper ferrule, with a 5/8 '' Allen wrench that was turned down to round and milled for the male portion of the blade, and hand filed to finish it off. BTW, the Santos Rosewood is some sweet stuff to work with; I was getting spills off of end grain that were less than 3/32'' in diameter and 5 - 6 inches long ! The grain is totally non-porous - all are finished with bees wax and are users thru and thru.

Comments one way or the other are appreciated.

Dave Beauchesne