PDA

View Full Version : Bill's DVD My Review (thumbs up)

Jim Ketron
11-24-2004, 11:51 PM
First I would Like to thank Bill on a Great Job on the DVD! Money well spent!!!
I would recomend anyone that wants to learn how to turn bowls to get this Video!
Im just starting to turn bowls and I have learned a lot from the over 2 hr show. His humor keeps it fun and interesting! He goes in Great detail from the log to the finished bowl! He does a wonderfull job on his tool technics and it is in great detail to show you each of his methods for turning a bowl. although I cant spell some of the names he calls them:D And the nice thing about the DVD is it has an index so when I need to refresh I can go right to the part that I need.
This is my first review on anything so I hope I did Bill Justice!
Jim Ketron

John Miliunas
11-25-2004, 11:23 AM
I would recomend anyone that wants to learn how to turn bowls to get this Video!
Im just starting to turn bowls and I have learned a lot from the over 2 hr show. His humor keeps it fun and interesting! He goes in Great detail from the log to the finished bowl! He does a wonderfull job on his tool technics and it is in great detail to show you each of his methods for turning a bowl. although I cant spell some of the names he calls them:D And the nice thing about the DVD is it has an index so when I need to refresh I can go right to the part that I need.
This is my first review on anything so I hope I did Bill Justice!
Jim Ketron

Well said, Jim! And if I may add, I still think that "sky-cam" thing he has going is real cool! :D :cool:

Bill Grumbine
11-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys! Jim, I saw your post another place and responded at length there, but thank you for your kind words and taking time to write.

John, part of the sky cam apparatus can be seen in the shot. If you look, you can see the ladder the cameraman was standing on. At first, his feet were in the shot, but through a huge effort, he stretched himself way out in a very uncomfortable position to get that shot! I am glad to hear you noticed.

Bill

Dave Smith
11-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Perhaps now, after viewing the DVD, people will understand why I traveled coast to coast to take a lessons from Bill. I know I am among the first to take private lessons at the now famous Five Barns Complex(FBC). It is likely that no one else has traveled as far to be shown how well Bill's ear muffs work. Sorry, Bill, if I ruined anything for future students. In time, with the release of his first turning DVD, my long distance pilgrimage to the FBC will be eclipsed by other turners living on the correct(left) coast when they travel to the incorrect(right) coast in search of turning knowledge. Bill and I are on opposite ends of many subjects that separate too many people. However, we share some very common views that transcend our differences. Bill towers over me physically, intellectually and in turning ability. But, from the time I shook Bill's hand on that first day of instruction and subsequently throughout our friendship I have always felt equal as a human being. I had the unusual feeling during the turning lessons that we were at eye level. Since I had already gotten to know Bill, from years of posts on Badger Pond, I had no trepidations when I stepped up to his huge blue machine in the shadow of a giant. The only thing I had to look out for was the shock wave from his bellow when I was about to do something really stupid. Have no fear you can hear Bill over any machinery noise conceived by man.

I have not watched the DVD yet. Perhaps I will get a chance to view it this weekend. I have been disappointed in all the previous turning videos I have seen. I have seen the real McCoy and as Jim Shaver said, "Bill is a full size man." If the video captures the essence of this full size man then it will certainly be worth watching.

Dave Smith

I have got to get over this cold, I am sounding really weird in Longview, WA.

Mark Stutz
11-25-2004, 6:53 PM
I couldn't agree more, Jim. This is a great instructional DVD.

Dave,
I'm sure you will find that this DVD has indeed captured the essence of the man. I found myself LOL more than once. My LOML watched part of it with me, and having met Bill, enjoyed it as well, and she didn't even know what a gouge was! BTW, I have never seen a better pair of ear muffs!

Thanks again, Bill, for a job well done!

Mark

Bill Grumbine
11-26-2004, 8:18 PM
Dave and Mark, thanks for your kind words. I have more fun with those earmuffs. :D I try to get SEMBO in on the gag, but she won't hear of it. (har har har). Seriously though, I am glad you guys like the video. I know Dave likes it because he wrote to tell me he finally got around to watching it.

Have fun, and happy turning!

Bill

Ted Shrader
11-27-2004, 10:21 AM

Jim -

Well said. Money used for this DVD is well spent.

LOML and I watched it together last night. I was on the couch, she pulled up a chair right in front of the TV - well off to the side enough so I could see.

The techniques are explained very logically and are easy to follow.

Bill's exceptionally dry humor had us rolling several times. Had to use the re-wind to catch what he said while we were laughing. :)

Well done, Bill. An outstanding teaching tool Any others planned?

Regards,
Ted

Earl Reid
11-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi, Bill, I have to agree withe the others. I have only seen the first parts ,up to the first part of the turning, very good, (we've had family in for the holidays) I'm taking the DVD to my sons today to show him how to cut blanks for me. and plan on watching the rest tommorrow,
Many thanks
Earl :)

Jim Becker
11-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Well...I settled down last night and watched it from the beginning to the end. Excellent! I learned some new cuts that I'll need to try out. Bill looks really good in wide-screen format, too...although HDef would have shown the fine shavings better...hee hee :D

Of course, I'd like to know how that poison ivy vine appeared to still be on the log when the blanks made it into the shop! But Bill didn't seem to be scratching too much...:o

Dave Smith
11-27-2004, 2:45 PM
You are right Jim. I had to refrain from saying anything about the vine still being on a blank that was being cut on the band saw. I watched the video Thursday night and my expectations were born out. I did skip the sharpening section so my comments only apply to the rest of the video. I will recommend this video to any turner that wants information on preparing turning blanks or turning bowls. Overall, a well done instruction video. I am sure it will be the first turning video I watch more than once.

Dave Smith

Turning is not on the Honey Do list today in Longview, WA.

Bill Grumbine
11-27-2004, 8:24 PM
Ahh, the magic of TV. The bandsaw sequence was filmed early in the day on Day 1. The chainsaw sequence was filmed first thing in the morning on Day 2. Why? We did a chainsaw sequence first on Day 1 because I needed some blanks for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, it started raining, and even with umbrellas over both myself and the cameraman, it was not what we wanted, so we reshot it. As far as following my own advice, I often do, and in this case I was removing the vine with the bandsaw instead of my hatchet! ;)

Bill