PDA

View Full Version : Saw vise ID?

Charles McKinley
11-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Hi All,

I picked a saw vice up today. It has a 40 in the middle of the front jaw. The jaws are 9 inches long. Any ideas on the make? age?

Yes, I took the pics on the baby changing station. :o

Leif Hanson
11-25-2004, 12:11 PM
OK, I'm just guessing, but maybe me spouting things off will jog someone else's memory.

That could be a tough one - there were probably dozens of manufacturer's of saw vises around 100 years ago, and this could have been made by just about any of them. Some of the major names you would see include Disston, Sargent, Wentworth, Stearns, Stover, Goodall-Pratt. Could have been made by any of those for a hardware company such as Sears, Shapleigh, Simmons, et. al., muddying the water even further.

I don't believe it's a Disston, and while Sargent made some that had that type of a handle with a ball on the end, I don't think it's one of theirs. Could be a Stover... I think they had some like that, I don't know for sure.

The people at Rose Antique Tools (http://www.roseantiquetools.com/) have graciously scanned in a bunch of different company catalogs from around the turn of the century, you could spend some time perusing their selection to see if you could find a similar vise. I would myself, but they are rather sizeable images and my connection speed is a bit slow here at home.

Leif

Charles McKinley
11-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi Leif,

That is a great and possibly expensive link. I am stuck in dial up land here too. :( I will stop in at my aunt's and maybe can get to the catalogs. I looked at a couple vices on ebay but nothing matched. I guess I'll just use it.

Thanks for the info.

Tom LaRussa
11-26-2004, 1:54 PM
Hi All,

I picked a saw vice up today. It has a 40 in the middle of the front jaw. The jaws are 9 inches long. Any ideas on the make? age?

There are two kinds of tools. Them what work and them what don't.

That one looks like one of the former.

;)

harry strasil
11-26-2004, 5:55 PM
I have one just like that or very similiar to that one Charles, it works well, I am not at home or I would go look and see if it has a name on it.