PDA

View Full Version : Had a visit from Bernie!!

John Keeton
06-05-2010, 4:42 PM
Got a call last nite from Bernie Weishapl. He and Mary Ann would be passing through KY today on his way to Virginia. We were blessed with getting to share a couple of hours with them this afternoon before they headed on down the Interstate. The weather was great, and Bernie and I talked shop, turning, and wood! Sent a chunk of KY coffee tree back with him, along with a few other bits and pieces.

Great folks!! Bernie seems to be really enjoying retirement, and they both are looking forward to visiting with their son and his family, as well as making the rounds to visit some other folks, as well.

Nice truck, Bernie!!! Hope you get to fill it up with wood on your travels, and thanks for taking the time to visit - you are welcome any time!:D

Robert McGowen
06-05-2010, 4:44 PM
Looks like ya'll had some fun!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2010, 4:56 PM
Nothing better than a couple of Creekers getting together. Congrats to both!

John Hart
06-05-2010, 4:59 PM
cool! I never realized how tall Bernie was!. Or...are you really short like me John?

Tony De Masi
06-05-2010, 5:01 PM
Very cool. I may get the chance to meet Bernie as well on his way from Virginia to Pennsylvania. Glad he has his truck with him too.:D

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2010, 5:06 PM
John - excellent photo!

Glad Bernie got the chance to stop in for a short visit! Sounds like you guys made the most of your short time together!

gary Zimmel
06-05-2010, 5:09 PM
Congrats on the Creeker visit guys.

John Keeton
06-05-2010, 5:27 PM
cool! I never realized how tall Bernie was!. Or...are you really short like me John?John, Bernie is actually standing on a box!!;):p:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2010, 6:36 PM
John wanted to thank you again for your hospitality. Had a ball touring the shop, the barn and especially the farm. My wife said to thank your wife John as she had a great time talking with her. I am not sure John if you and I are in trouble or what but she said they agreed on a lot of stuff. Thanks again John for the coffee tree wood.

Oh and John Hart I was standing on John K.'s orange crate.:D:rolleyes:

Matt Ranum
06-05-2010, 7:39 PM
Congrats on the visit guys, sounds like you had a ball.

John, gotta ask..... you ain't related to that Kenny Rogers fella are ya???

Aaron Wingert
06-05-2010, 9:03 PM
Matt, you're killing me! :D hehehe

Good to see a couple creekers get together. Might not be such a good idea to leave the wives alone to ally against you guys though! You could get in all sorts of trouble that way! :p Pretty cool how a couple guys who have never met and only know each other from an internet forum can meet in person and be fast friends.

Roland Martin
06-05-2010, 10:11 PM
That is just great, glad you guys had a chance to get together.;)

Allen Neighbors
06-05-2010, 10:49 PM
It's good to get to meet another turner, ain't it?? Creeker visits gotta be awesome!!
Glad you had a good time!!

Karl Card
06-06-2010, 1:03 AM
Congrats on the visit guys, sounds like you had a ball.

John, gotta ask..... you ain't related to that Kenny Rogers fella are ya???

you know I wasnt going to say anything but now that somebody else already opened the can of worms.......
I was kinda thinking a cross between kenny and perry mason...lol..

Dave Carey
06-06-2010, 10:04 AM
John - Is the cabinet in the background one of your non-round creations? It's beautiful! Dave

David E Keller
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
That's great that you two got to spend a few hours talking turning. I think it would be really fun to make a cross country trip based on Creeker locations... You could tour everyone's shops and pick up little pieces of local wood for turning. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Greg Just
06-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Wow - what a great way to spend a few hours. I'll be in Indy in August, but that is too far away.

John - did you build that cabinet you are standing in front of? I see one of your turnings on the shelf.

John Keeton
06-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I get the Kenny Rogers stuff a lot - several differences - not as many ex-wives, not as much money, can't sing a lick, about 6" shorter, and you won't catch me getting a facelift!!:eek::eek:

John - Is the cabinet in the background one of your non-round creations? It's beautiful! Dave

Wow - what a great way to spend a few hours. I'll be in Indy in August, but that is too far away.

John - did you build that cabinet you are standing in front of? I see one of your turnings on the shelf.Dave, Greg, yes the piece is actually a secretary/hutch (Ms. Keeton says it is a secretary) that was the subject of this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107833) build thread. I sure hope I don't get kicked off the Turner's Forum for referencing a flatwork piece!:o

That's great that you two got to spend a few hours talking turning. I think it would be really fun to make a cross country trip based on Creeker locations... You could tour everyone's shops and pick up little pieces of local wood for turning. That sounds like a lot of fun.David, I have often thought the same thing. Someday!! There are so many creekers I would like to meet and spend some time with. Got to do some of that at a couple of flatwork conferences, and made some good friends.

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2010, 6:47 PM
That Hutch was beautiful. Loved the curly maple drawers. If I remember John said the legs on the table he made to match the Hutch were the first thing he turned. The table was just as beautiful.

I also am going to try to make it a point to visit a few creekers as I travel and are close. Will be getting a hold of Tony to see if we can make something work on our way to Montrose, PA.

Cathy Schaewe
06-06-2010, 7:18 PM
on our way to Montrose, PA.

Hey, that's 30 minutes away from me! If you stop by, you can get some of my green cherry wood, if you're interested - pretty big pieces, crotch wood - I'll send pics if you'd like!

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2010, 9:43 PM
Hey, that's 30 minutes away from me! If you stop by, you can get some of my green cherry wood, if you're interested - pretty big pieces, crotch wood - I'll send pics if you'd like!

Cathy PM sent.

Brian Ashton
06-07-2010, 6:45 AM
I'm quite interested in what's in the back ground. Did you do the cabinet and the turnings in it? Sorry Bernie, not brushing you aside but...

John Keeton
06-07-2010, 7:12 AM
Brian, yes I built the walnut piece, and it was the subject of this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107833) build thread. The turnings in it are also mine. Thanks for the interest!

Jeff Nicol
06-07-2010, 8:41 AM
Well my bucket list is long and getting longer! I hope that I get a chance to meet some of the more prestidgious members of SMC and some of the regular joes like me! I say this kind of tongue in cheek as in a few hours Mr. Matt Ranum will be visiting me and this has been in the works for about a year. I am excited to meet the man behind the voice on the phone. I will report and post pics later.

Great meeting for John and Bernie! My day will come,

Jeff