PDA

View Full Version : I want to put my lathe in my living room !!

GLENN THOMAS
06-05-2010, 4:31 PM
This morning the weather man said the heat index for today would be 100 degrees and it sure felt like it. Unfortunately summer hasn't even started good yet so I'm thinking August is going to be really bad. It's usually not this hot this early. Last year we had a few days in August when the heat index got up to 110.

I wonder if my wife will let me move my lathe into the living room where the treadmill is. Wish me luck !!

GT

Robert McGowen
06-05-2010, 4:47 PM
I would just do it. Tell her you are trying to spend more time with her!

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2010, 4:49 PM
Yup... looking forward to the photos!

John Hart
06-05-2010, 4:57 PM
It's always a good idea to have plenty of woodchips in the air when you're working out on the treadmill. Especially cherry. It's good for her health. I think I read that somewhere.:)

John Keeton
06-05-2010, 5:31 PM
Much easier to watch instructional DVDs on the big screen while implementing all those great new ideas right there on the lathe!! Great thinking!

Let us know how that works out for you, and if you need a place to stay for a couple of weeks, let me know!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2010, 6:01 PM
Good luck Glenn! Let us know how it turns out. (pun intended).

Don't forget John's offer of the cot in his shop....that's providing he's not using it. Then you can have a sleeping bag on the floor of his shop!

Again...Good luck!:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2010, 6:22 PM
We want pictures.:D;):rolleyes:

Karl Card
06-05-2010, 7:31 PM
yeah that will go over about as good as me moving the wife downstairs and moving the shop upstairs.....:)

Wayne Spence
06-05-2010, 7:38 PM
Sounds like a winner to me. Invite some guests over , sanding cocobolo with 320 grit should do the trick.

Bill Bulloch
06-05-2010, 8:14 PM
I know a guy whose wife went to visit her parents for the Summer and he built a sail boat in his living room. He might have gotten away with it, if he had been a little more careful with the epoxy.

Tell her you'll be neat with it.

Mike McAfee
06-05-2010, 8:18 PM
Always better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

MMc

Matt Newton
06-05-2010, 9:04 PM
Or you could just put in AC in the garage. It will be where you will be sleeping when she catches you moving the lathe to the living room.

Brian Effinger
06-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Always better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

MMc

Exactly! :D Just do it!

Or you could just put in AC in the garage. It will be where you will be sleeping when she catches you moving the lathe to the living room.

Now where's the fun in that! :p

Curt Fuller
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Well, one thing about it, it's gonna make all the other bad things you've done look like minor infractions to your wife.

Let us know if you pull it off.

David DeCristoforo
06-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Geez. You guys must not have been around too long. You gotta use "psychology". You start out by talking about how "dated" your living room looks. After a while, this will segue into a full blown discussion about remodeling (or redecorating). Then you suddenly have a brilliant idea to incorporate some turnings into the "new" living room. Of course, the entire room will have to be stripped bare and at that point it only makes sense to move some tools into the room to do the work, right? You get where I'm going with this?

Bill Bulloch
06-06-2010, 7:42 AM
Geez. You guys must not have been around too long. You gotta use "psychology". You start out by talking about how "dated" your living room looks. After a while, this will segue into a full blown discussion about remodeling (or redecorating). Then you suddenly have a brilliant idea to incorporate some turnings into the "new" living room. Of course, the entire room will have to be stripped bare and at that point it only makes sense to move some tools into the room to do the work, right? You get where I'm going with this?

Yes we know where you are going -- to the tent in the back yard. Send Glenn the info about where he can get one. I have the feeling that after his wife fully addresses the issure of moving his lathe to the living room, he'll be more than willing to consider the tent alternative too.

Roland Martin
06-06-2010, 8:07 AM
Just tell her you promise to clean the room after you're done turning, or does she reallize already that there's no such thing as being done?:D If not, you're golden!

GLENN THOMAS
06-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Well I asked my wife about it and she told me where I could put the lathe and it wasn't the living room ? Guess Ill just have to turn late in the evening for the next few months.

Paul Douglass
06-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I knew a guy that built a sail plane in his living room and it extended into the dining room. AND,, his wife helped him! they lived with it for about two years,if I remember correctly. They don't make them like that anymore,, wives that is.

David E Keller
06-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Well I asked my wife about it and she told me where I could put the lathe and it wasn't the living room ? Guess Ill just have to turn late in the evening for the next few months.

You're gonna be really sore if you put the lathe where she suggested!:eek::eek:

Alan Tolchinsky
06-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Just tell her how nice the lathe color will look with your furniture and that it will be a plus in the room decor. Yeah, that's the ticket! Just be open to repainting the lathe to match the room if she insists.

George Guadiane
06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I read the title and came up with an IMMEDIATE response, but I waited and took the time to read all of the thought filled/hopeful posts (I even had a couple of variations on the theme of my own). But, I'm still set on my original thought:

:DSO, when did the divorce become final?:eek:
(Lathe in the living room??? It's not gonna happen)

Ted Calver
06-06-2010, 2:41 PM
I heard the Gibbs on NCIS has a lathe in his living room...just sayin...

Mike McAfee
06-06-2010, 2:52 PM
I heard the Gibbs on NCIS has a lathe in his living room...just sayin...

And a boat in the basement! WHO's gonna mess with Gibbs in the first place and there may be a reason he's been married so many times! :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2010, 3:59 PM
Oh yeah! Someone forgot to mention....in the event of a divorce.....don't worry about the lathe in the livingroom!

You'll have to sell it to make the alimony payments cause the judge ain't gonna have any sympathy!:rolleyes:

Jeff Fagen
06-06-2010, 5:03 PM
Well I'm divorced so I could put the lathe in the living room., but I already track enough curlys onto the carpet,besides the static cling on the picture tube collects to much dust.:D